Nose Modification "rocker" Thread.... making a sj a better surf ski.....

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
I've been thinkning about changing the rocker of a SJ, too. Having molds to make hulls and decks makes it a little easier for me to chop and reshape, though.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
anyone running tubbies with a chopped rear deck?
Matt_e, and he likes it.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I've been thinkning about changing the rocker of a SJ, too. Having molds to make hulls and decks makes it a little easier for me to chop and reshape, though.

yup... I just don't have any money to pay someone to do it for me, so I have to come up w/ something myself. I hope to make a plug/mold if it turns out well...

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
there has to be lots of peeps...

I am running that setup. Tubbies 2 and 2 inches chopped off the rear.
Handles like a dream, no pearling issues. While the nose does come up easier, the far more noticeable handling change is this: the hull became much more flickable. It responds to steering input much faster and with more definition. A flick of the handlebars results in an immediate flick of the whole hull, at any speed.
Surfing down the face of a wave seems a bit easier when it gets steep because there's 2 inches less for the face to pick up and slam you in the bottom.

I will add that for surf, a stock length plate works better for me than one that is flush with the short hull. I tried the flush plate the first time this past weekend and found recovery time got to be too long. The longer plate worked better for that without giving up the handling advantages.

Last edited:

#ZERO

Beach Bum
Don't shorten the nose just contour the bottom edge more upward and it will put an end to your pearling.

It's an easy mod that won't compromise the integrity of the hull.

Attachments

• Picture 384.jpg
    Picture 384.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 399
Don't shorten the nose just contour the bottom edge more upward and it will put an end to your pearling.

It's an easy mod that won't compromise the integrity of the hull.

not convinced that does anything... and it doesn't provide anymore rocker or change the length of the boat. that just fill in the bond line and I am looking to raise the nose of the ski.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
not convinced that does anything... and it doesn't provide anymore rocker or change the length of the boat. that just fill in the bond line and I am looking to raise the nose of the ski.

Nick, it will give more contact area than the OEM hull, it does not look like much but it would. Might want to shave off the nose (Bondline part - imagine the nose of the matrix). Your getting about 2-3" more contact area. May just be enough. You could easily do a temp mod to see if filling it helps out any.

chop that POS and go all out. Its not a tough project by any means. The shorter rear makes for quicker slashing but def will weaken the rear for all the shallow FL surf we stomp. As for the nose cut back like 18 inches and rocker the poop out of it up past the bond line. also if you add some "rocker" in the middle of the hull and round off the edges more it will roll more like a surfboard rail and be predictable

P2220041.jpg

look at this image and you will see what I am talking about... See how the nose is about 3-4" higher than the bond line? This is what I want to accomplish w/ a round and eventually make or get someone to make a mould that will just slide onto the front of the ski and glassed on...

chop that POS and go all out. Its not a tough project by any means. The shorter rear makes for quicker slashing but def will weaken the rear for all the shallow FL surf we stomp. As for the nose cut back like 18 inches and rocker the poop out of it up past the bond line. also if you add some "rocker" in the middle of the hull and round off the edges more it will roll more like a surfboard rail and be predictable

hell yeah... I'm glad you did this, cause it's motivated me to do something...

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
that would be an awesome idea yamaslut! maybe by the time i get to working on my hull you will have some molds built. it would look really sick with the nose smoothed out like the bob hull.

matt-e thanks for the info, i think ill flattop my 550 first seeing how i have never worked with fiberglass, i dont care if i fudge that old ski up haha

that would be an awesome idea yamaslut! maybe by the time i get to working on my hull you will have some molds built. it would look really sick with the nose smoothed out like the bob hull.

matt-e thanks for the info, i think ill flattop my 550 first seeing how i have never worked with fiberglass, i dont care if i fudge that old ski up haha

you here in the states now or in Iraq??

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
iraq.... this forum is so awesome to pass time, i have learned so much!

i come home in october, thats when im getting my motor built for my sj, ima ride it next summer with stock hull, in the mean time ill be learning fiberglass on the 550. that way next winter i can fiberglass tubbies on, chop the rear deck and who know i may go crazy and add some more rocker. have you decided to do it or not yet..?

Top Bottom