Nose Modification "rocker" Thread.... making a sj a better surf ski.....

joe b

depth tester
:scratchchin: I've been thinking about this mod and this talk has giving me some inspiration. Chopped my nose this week cutting the top back to where the recess for the bow eye ends and the bottom back to the water box mounts. Shaped up and hope to start laying glass tonight. :mischievous:

Attachments

• nose01.JPG
    nose01.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 517

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
:scratchchin: I've been thinking about this mod and this talk has giving me some inspiration. Chopped my nose this week cutting the top back to where the recess for the bow eye ends and the bottom back to the water box mounts. Shaped up and hope to start laying glass tonight. :mischievous:

nice! looking forward to see how it comes out and rides.

slacker, I figured you'd have had this done by now and had alredy moved on to the next design!

Hey Nick ,
Hold off of the SJ butchering as we have a little swell Wed. and Thursday or knock it out quick .

joe b

depth tester
joeB's ski has seen A LOT of transformations over the years

hehehe... this is one of the few areas I have'nt cut yet.

joe,ya gonna bring the bond line lip out and up and the same angle of the rocker,seems like that would give more stability

I'm planning on following the line of the nose with the bond rail but plan on ending it at the front and not wrap around the front.

sweet joe, let me know what you think and then hit me up w/ some dimensions...

Will do!

slacker, I figured you'd have had this done by now and had alredy moved on to the next design!

hehehe.... Wish I had some time. This is the most I touched my boat since last Aug. Been doing more longboarding with my kids .

ive noticed all the new designs cut off on the sides,would be interesting to see one done all the way around with maybe a solid front lip for stuffits,but be nice to have the dry ride,I hate salt water in my eyes,deff dont need any extra of that

I am actually in the middle of doing the exact same thing, we will see how it goes!

since the pics were take i cut the bondline off in the front and i am going to smooth the nose over

Attachments

• IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 289
That rendering from Penken looks sick... imo looks better as it is with the stock hood/cover then it would with a lowered setup.

But with the chopped down (or up?) nose are you going to still be able to run stock waterbox and foam? My guess is there will have to be some sort of sacrifice of either and that will keep most away until it's figured out.

R

ridethelip

For the people cutting nose rocker and reshaping.How is this going to help your wave riding ? Are you hoping to tighten up your turns and get the ski to fit better on the wave? like for cut backs?

For the people cutting nose rocker and reshaping.How is this going to help your wave riding ? Are you hoping to tighten up your turns and get the ski to fit better on the wave? like for cut backs?

have you ever surfed before??? what is a short board compared to a long board and how are the riding characteristics different???

think about it...

R

ridethelip

have you ever surfed before??? what is a short board compared to a long board and how are the riding characteristics different???

think about it...
Thank you. You have not cut up your ski yet,right? It all seems so cut and dry for you.Add rocker and you won't pearl.How about how the ski holds on the face of the wave off throttle? How does it cut back on the steepest part of the wave? Pearling is something you do when you are caught off gaurd or have your weight or body position in the wrong place over the ski as you are along for the ride instead of controlling what's happening.Everyone experiences this as it part of the learning curve of riding in the surf.It is school of hard knocks.I am interested in advancements on how the ski turns on the steepest part of the wave.Tail rocker would be something I would like to experiment with.I have found that some throttle,using the bars and standing at the back of the tray is enough to keep me from pearling when i have the nose of the facing the way I am dropping in.There's always sideways and or backwards.

Top Bottom