Please tell me what's been done to this SJ RN.

Just bought a 97 SJ... it has been modified but I do not have a complete list of mods. Could you please look at the photos and tell me what this SJ has. If you can, please critique how things have been done... i think wiring is all messy, fuel lines are done in a messed up way, fuel reserve is disabled, and hood seal is all messed up. I have no idea why the fuel tank has welding or melting marks and why the pipe (unknown type to me) was fitted the way it was with some material near the hood seal chipped off. This machine needs some TLC and a complete rebuild.

From what i can see it has the following mods

- 0 degree bars: UNKNOWN BRAND / MODEL
- ODI Rogue lock-on grips
- Worx Dominator rideplate
- Worx intake grate: UNKNOWN MODEL
- Footwells: UNKNOWN BRAND / MODEL
- Bilge pump: ATT WOOD V500 model 4202
- Air filters: KOT RACING PRODUCTS SAE J1928
- Head: ADA RACING SUPER STOCK 785 CC

Photos are right here... all your help would be greatly appreciated.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Last edited:

Waternut

Customizing addict
Looks like a decent ski to me. Yes it does need some TLC but what makes you think it needs a rebuild? I'd say it has a Factory dry pipe and what looks to be a swirl prop. The turf gap looks ugly but unless you've turfed before, you won't do too much better without help.

The tank was probably burned by a different pipe that got too hot. The zip tied pole boot looks ugly but after taking the boots off both of my ski's I couldn't get it back on either. Judging by all the corrosion, I'd say it was run in the salt quite a bit.

My recommendation... Clean up a little bit here and there but wait until winter before you go messing around with stuff that currently works.

QuickMick

API 1104 AWS CWI
Site Supporter
Just bought a 97 SJ... it has been modified but I do not have a complete list of mods. Could you please look at the photos and tell me what this SJ has. If you can, please critique how things have been done... i think wiring is all messy, fuel lines are done in a messed up way, fuel reserve is disabled, and hood seal is all messed up. I have no idea why the fuel tank has welding or melting marks and why the pipe (unknown type to me) was fitted the way it was with some material near the hood seal chipped off. This machine needs some TLC and a complete rebuild. Not a rebuild, just a make over.

From what i can see it has the following mods

- 0 degree bars: UNKNOWN BRAND / MODEL
- ODI Rogue lock-on grips
- Worx Dominator rideplate
- Worx intake grate: UNKNOWN MODEL
- Footwells: UNKNOWN BRAND / MODEL
- Bilge pump: ATT WOOD V500 model 4202
- Air filters: HOT PRODUCTS SAE J1928
- Head: ADA RACING SUPER STOCK 785 CC
785 total motor displacement??

Photos are right here... all your help would be greatly appreciated.

First thing I would do is get rid of all the clear water lines. I have seen the clear lines get very soft when they get hot and you would not like one sliding off a fitting while your out ridding and leave you stranded.

Do a search for the correct waterline routing Look here http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/49612
Dont worry about the melted fuel tank unless it leaks. Your ski might have had a blaster mod pipe in it at one time. Clean it up and get that thing going for the rest of summer and then worry about replacing any parts.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Dual aftermarket carbs. I'm guessing 46's or 48's, since 44's have the throttle drum on the other side.

The motor MAY be a 785cc, but sometimes people just use the head for one without actually having the big bore motor.

Stock cylinder.

Regular charging electrical system, but maybe a modded cdi in there and maybe a lightened flywheel. You will have to look.

Lots of possibilities.

What is that little tiny one way valve on the gas tank?

I would take that entire ski completely apart and put it back together. New water and fuel lines....wire wheel every single nut and bolt.......de foam, refoam......re turf.....and replace the pole bracket with a X metal.....

for starters.

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
What is that little tiny one way valve on the gas tank?

I would take that entire ski completely apart and put it back together. New water and fuel lines....wire wheel every single nut and bolt.......de foam, refoam......re turf.....and replace the pole bracket with a X metal.....

for starters.

agreed, for this winter
new fuel and water lines, clean up wiring and ride it until it gets too cold

agreed, for this winter
new fuel and water lines, clean up wiring and ride it until it gets too cold

Normally I would agree and wait....but that thing needs love yesterday.

I guess I would at least ride it until it F'ed up.......shouldn't take long.

What was the purchase price....just curious.... because I have a friend of a friend that thinks he is going to land a RN with parts for 1500.....and I doubt this even went for that low.

It's pretty impressive how many people responded... i really appreciate your help guys.

This has been a fresh water SJ at least for the last 2 years. I did not investigate its history thoroughly but apparently one of the previous owners used to race it and claims it's faster than an SXR 800. I'll have to test it myself i guess.

In terms of price, I paid $3100 CAD ($2769 USD) for it, but it came with a 1 year old galvanized EZLOADER 1250 LB capacity trailer that i'll be modifying to carry 2 RN Superjets. Previous owner bought the trailer new last year for $800 USD so it was not that bad of a deal. Previous owner paid $4000 CAD for this SJ last year and then another $1000 on electrical system repairs... apparently this SJ had starting issues. Looking at the repair bill, i can see that starter carrier unit was rebuilt, stator assembly, bendix and solenoid were replaced. Hopefully i didn't buy problems.

When it comes to SJ's there is not much choice in Canada really. Last year i paid $1900 USD + $500 USD shipping to bring in a relatively stock and clean RN from Florida. With the USD/CAD exchange rate back in february 09 when i started looking i could not find any better deals and i really needed to get a second SJ so i could ride with my gf.

I'll see how this thing runs today. When i bought it i put it in the water strapped to a trailer and let it idle for 15 minutes. I gently applied throttle a few times and the pump seemed to be working fine. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Water and fuel lines have to be re-done for sure. Which tubing would you recommend? I'll also need to enable fuel reserve.

I'd replace all the wiring as well to make things more organized.

Which website would you recommend where i could buy all the accessories, mods, and spare parts.

Last edited:
blowsion.com has a great selection but there shipping sucks...
Way overpriced and way to slow. Then again the place i buy most of my car parts from has free shipping on all products and normally get here in 3 days so maybe im a bit biased but i ordered from blowsion on sunday and still waiting.

blowsion.com has a great selection but there shipping sucks...
Way overpriced and way to slow. Then again the place i buy most of my car parts from has free shipping on all products and normally get here in 3 days so maybe im a bit biased but i ordered from blowsion on sunday and still waiting.

Yeah....I ordered some stuff about a week ago. Never heard from them and appears I didn't get charged for the products. I called them and asked where my parts were. Was told that they were out of stock and they just came in and it would ship out that day.

Well I still haven't been charged...no tracking number...email..phone call...nothing. WTF! I have a beautiful $1100 hood thats been sitting on my floor for a week because I'm waiting for $100 in parts.

I just don't understand why they couldn't call me or shoot me an email saying what the deal is. I'd be fine with that...I just hate having to track down my parts or worry when they are going to show up.

That's why I only really like to order from AJS. Jim has the best prices and his customer service is top notch. I never have to worry about anything when I order from him. I just wish he sold the parts I needed. Could of had my hood installed by now.

Sorry rant over

Top Bottom