"Pre-filters"

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
Anybody use these?

The one time i tried them on my dual BrapJacks 44's they choked them out and wouldn't let the engine breath properly(and that was dry!).
The ones I tried were Fly Racing brand.
My carbs hated them severely and i think they're a joke.:shhh:

IMO and experience, if you have a good hood seal and aftermarket hood you dont need prefilters or OEM air intakes.
Whats your experience with pre filters?

tightithrash

Zack Bright. I Thrash.
Site Supporter
i have the tau-cettie (sp?) pre filter on my single 46 black jack and its necessary IMO.

but im about done with the tau-cettie filter, takes to much water, screwed me in Oregon. goin back to a stock filter very soon.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I never had an issue with my dual BlackJacks with Pro-K's and no outerwears/pre-filters - up until I started backflipping and pancaking some. Then I had some pretty severe water ingestion issues. Kevin/Crashski let me use his spare outerwears, but I didn't get to try them.

FyrHazard

Ski Eat Sleep Repeat
I've got outerwears on my blaster and SJ (on Prok F/a's) and i can't tell that they do anything against water intrusion.

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
I have a single BJ carb on my setup just like Zack (TightItrash). I use a OEM single 44 FA, utilizing the wamiltons adapter. I still ingest water. I have a good hood seal, but am using a x-metal style bracket with one of those big ol' single holes that the cable runs through.

I am getting a new bracket here soon that uses the stock scrunchy style tube. I'm hoping that will help.

So to contribute the original topic of the thread, I think that if I ran an aftermarket style FA with a pre-filter, I personally believe my ingestion would be worse.

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
I have outerwears on my SJ (on Prok F/a's) and i can't tell that they do anything against water intrusion. i ride flatwater and use a oem hoodseal. i did tune them them on so i dont notice any choking at all.

Last edited:

INDebtSJ

Having a VISION!
outer wears

Anybody use these?

The one time i tried them on my dual BrapJacks 44's they choked them out and wouldn't let the engine breath properly(and that was dry!).
The ones I tried were Fly Racing brand.
My carbs hated them severely and i think they're a joke.:shhh:

IMO and experience, if you have a good hood seal and aftermarket hood you dont need prefilters or OEM air intakes.
Whats your experience with pre filters?

I tried them when I first got my new motor this year. I have the BJ,s as well. It was a nightmare to try and tune. I finally figured out that it was the outer wears that was cuasing all of my problems.

SXRguyinMA

Life's a beach
I'm running Dual R&D arrestors with outerwears and it runs a lot better. had to tune it a bit to get it to run right, but its a lot snappier. havent noticed any water ingestion issues

Kalwren

650 Conversion Ski
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm unable to find a lot of information on this subject.

I have a Mikuni 44SBN on a 650 conversion ski and I'm using a Pro-K flame arrestor.
I'm trying to find a good pre-filter / Outerwears.

I'd appreciate some suggestions on where to buy them and which one to use.

My ski is still a work in progress. I need a few little things here and there.

My hood seal sucks. I have a new one that I've not put on yet.

I have duct tape covering my pisser hole (the parts are on oder) and it's still taking on some water. I have a bilge but I'm thinking I should get a pre filter anyway.

This is not a freestyle ski.

Where can I buy a good pre filter and what kind would you suggest using?

Thanks! :)

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
I've always thought of them as a safety net myself. I've run them on the last 5 skis and never had an issue yet. :dunno:

Kalwren

650 Conversion Ski
Chuck told me that if an outerwear was needed get a new hood

Lol! True.

However, I'd still like to use a sock on my flame arrestor. I'm wondering where a good place is to get one and whats a good brand to use?

I plan on tuning the ski after the sock is on.

outerwears SUCK--the hold just as much water as they repel

they dont do a great job at keeping out ALOT of water....I tried for a while to use one while I FLUSHED the engine compartment.....it didnt do a damn bit of good

IMO they work great to keep out a LITTLE bit of water...like the occaisional splash.....but not in a marine application

I was originally going to use a stocker but Chuck said it woudnt flow enough air for the 49 full spec..

so my question is this...why pony up the money for an a/m flame arrestor...then put something on it to make it more restrictive?

outerwears FTL

I was originally going to use a stocker but Chuck said it woudnt flow enough air for the 49 full spec..

outerwears FTL

why not cut a semi circular area out of a stocker? right above the head on the vertical area that faces the pipe. that way the flow is only making a 90* turn instead of a ~180*.

I have one like that actually...had to cut one up to fit with the taller wetjet intake...just never tried it on this motor

my F1 stays dry as a bone inside, so the pro-k is no issue

my fx-1 stays dry as a bone...

the rev stays dry as a bone...

its just these silly superjets that leak water thru the hood all the time haha

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few
OK-my common sense approach is once again un-appreciated, therefore everyone needs to keep running their water scoops!

Last edited:
Top Bottom