Reinforcement for no foam?

Wow........How many times haven't I landed like that! Hope my hood straps are enough to keep my hood on. I have had my latch fail a couple of times and been okay so far.

No. Just to seal everthing up.

ok kid, the x-h20 god himself made a search function that works astonishingly well. USE IT!!! there are probably a 100 threads over this topic already. number one, 4lb foam that you pour would probably be your best bet. you will need to use epoxy resin not polyester resin, it won't stick. use 8-16oz cloth to do any reinforcing (8-16oz cloth depending on the location). 5200 is for :):):):):)s. do it right the first time and you will be glad you did.

a side note: you can use Polyester resin if and only if it says SMC compatible. search young grass hopper, search!

"Stop and think is a few pounds of foam worth possibly not finding your ski on the bottom of a lake?

foam and drains IMO is the way to go.

Mark44 "

fo sho hate to have this happen:thumbsdown:

YouTube- Wipeout Of The Week 18/06/09 - Fast Times Films

Matty

Funny story...we found that ski probably 3 years later when it washed up during a big swell. It washed up literally right where it sank. I didn't even live here when Mac lost it and knew nothing about it. We thought someone had lost it they day before or something. But at some point after we had gotten back in, it dawned on RL (Randy Laine) that this was the ski Mac had lost years earlier.

I'd be interested to find out what happened to it. We rode the next day and it was gone...I'm sure the MP's on the base got it.

The engine compartment was full of sand, but other than that it looked new.

And just to add to the conversation, that was the second boat with a factory Kawi motor that was donated to Poseidon at Oceanside due to a lack of foam.

That actually reminds me of another time when Sean Workman told me about him loosing his ski off of Pt. Loma because he did not have nose foam in it, had all the rest, but no nose foam. But that washed up on the Strand 3 days later...so no problems there.

Two years ago we lost a boat in Brazil during a contest because it did not have foam in the nose either...

I would have for sure lost at least one ski if I didn't have nose foam...

I vote for foam...

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Funny you mention that....after running without nose foam for two years, I put it back in.

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
Funny you mention that....after running without nose foam for two years, I put it back in.

Scuppers hurt too, and I don't mean by leaking. A couple of scuppers will rob quite a volume of foam from the ski and seriously affect buoyancy. I've always wondered how much difference it would make to foam around the outside of the bondline and skin that over with glass. I bet you can get quite a bit of foam around there.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Another reason why I hate scuppers. :)

I've been wanting to sink my boat intentionally (at the ramp) for a couple of years now to test buoyancy. I just can't get myself to submerge that motor. :crying:

I've been wanting to sink my boat intentionally (at the ramp) for a couple of years now to test buoyancy. I just can't get myself to submerge that motor. :crying:

i was just talking about doing this as a test.i have a scrap 650 i was going to use.i think it mite be time for a test.

scotts2t

Head Woop!
if you pressure check your hull after your build(no foam) then you ski will never sink unless you crack your hull, but, plan for that and reinforce! My hull holds 10lbs psi for hours..reinforce the bondline/outside of the tail of your ski...then give it the kick test!

starter kill

aka LUFA-make some WAKE!!
was that his ski? or a borrowed/donated ski that sank? and just let it stay down at the bottom? i would have gone and got some diving equipment and brought that thing back up some how, or dragged it twords the beach (under water) jeez three years? wow

I don't know how hard they looked for that boat. And I won't say who sank the other one, but I do know that a huge effort was made to find that boat with no luck.

If I had not been there to see the boat up on the beach I would have told you that there was no way that was even possible. I still can't understand how it is possible for the boat to wash up right where it sank...but it did.

As far as you guys running without foam...good luck. Unless you are trying to build a world championship level freestyle boat, and are super concered with a 5lb difference, I can't see the logic behind it. Besides the reinforcement required is going to add significant weight as well depending on how well it is done and what materials you use.
If you whole concern is waterlogged foam...well, then why not put some thick plastic bags in first, then foam inside them and seal it up.

Big Kahuna

Administrator

remove the flame arrestors, get the inflateable plumbing plugs and seal the carbs and the exhaust outlet. Then sink it.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
remove the flame arrestors, get the inflateable plumbing plugs and seal the carbs and the exhaust outlet. Then sink it.

Not a very accurate test, is it now? :biggrin:

When you sink it for real, those spaces will fill up with water.

Top Bottom