Reinforcement for no foam?

So i am at the point in my build where i gotta decide what to do and i think im gonna run no foam. My question is how much reinforcing to the tray, footholds and sides will i need to do? Do i require any sort of supports under the tray and footholds or does adding layers of glass suffice.

Also this is my first build and fibreglassing is a fairly new thing to me. I could use some help with my shopping list as in what type and where to get the following items or possibly what else i need.

Glue for footholds and the tray?
What to use to seal the bond line?
what kind of fibreglass cloth?
Some small drain plugs?

Mark44

Katie's Boss
Stop and think is a few pounds of foam worth possibly not finding your ski on the bottom of a lake?

foam and drains IMO is the way to go.

Mark44

Its definitely worth the work, i used polystyrene and sealed it up the best i could and there was still water that came out of the drains after riding the first time. This was also nice because i found two more leaks to seal up from listening to air rushing in while it was draining.

"Stop and think is a few pounds of foam worth possibly not finding your ski on the bottom of a lake?

foam and drains IMO is the way to go.

Mark44 "

fo sho hate to have this happen:thumbsdown:

Matty

Last edited by a moderator:

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Good vid for selling hoodstraps.
The hood floated longer than the ski.
Bummer all the way round. It landed hard on it's side.

Make it strong, but have some straps, ratchet, or something!
Don't really know what he had in the vid. That was a pretty big bail.

Ok you may have a point, dont really want to go diving for my ski. So if i do run foam i will run that blue extruded polystyrene that has to be cut up and fit into the hull. Loose packed foam will provide little to no support so my question remains do i require reinforcement and if so how much and where?

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
One layer of biax on the sides on the inside and another layer on the tray that runs up the gunwhales to put your tray back together and you will be fine.

jetski9010

Team RTYD
I just defoamed my tray and didnt pressure check it when I was done. Just took it out today and had a large leak in the tray where I fiberglassed the hull back together. It had 20 gals of water in the tray when I took it out of the water but I was riding it around for an hour like that before I found out. I didnt sink to the bottom. It floated it was just really tail heavy.

Top Bottom