Riding at night

Anyone do it? Is it legal if you put the lights on your ski? We recently started riding in a new spot that gets pretty dead at dusk and makes for some great riding. I find myself wishing we could stay later and ride on bright moon nights.

ctatv

2strokes forever
not legal, have done it. I take out the jetboat at night on the st. lawrence river (cause its legal) and scream across the calm water @ like 3am its sooo nice...

have done it on couches before its fun but dont get caught

Getting mixed responses over on pwctoday. Some say it is federal, some say it is state by state and legal in some if you have lights. Guess I will have to look into it locally.

Shifty

- SuperJet Thursday -
I wondered that myself, apparently the reason you can't is because jetski's don't have actual gunnels. In a boat, if something were to happen, you would theoreticly stay in the boat because of the high gunnels.

ctatv

2strokes forever
im in CT when i took the course way back when they said it was illegal. the guy also told us we had to carry a fire extinguisher and if it ever lit of fire to get the F off of there and swim away fast

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
I won't do it around here because of logs in the water. All it takes is once to hit something you didn't remember was there or can't see to bite it and hit your head.

I have been thinking about this all year, even setting up a couch with four off road lights on the front, rally car style, and one in the back, I could prob do this that lakes I ride since there is nothing to hit and hardly anyone out there.
the lastest i rode was till 10:55 PM the sun had just set and there was just enough light to get back!!! it was so calm I couldn't leave lol

ctatv

2strokes forever
yeah evening is such a great time to ride unless your eating bugs in the face:tomato:

I have been thinking about this all year, even setting up a couch with four off road lights on the front, rally car style, and one in the back, I could prob do this that lakes I ride since there is nothing to hit and hardly anyone out there.
the lastest i rode was till 10:55 PM the sun had just set and there was just enough light to get back!!! it was so calm I couldn't leave lol

Zerfman34

M.D. in the works...
Not legal in MI. We have to be off the water 1 hr before sunset.

ya sucks i think that's kinda early. 8 am to 1hr before sunset. When I was in tampa bay this spring we rode the sunrise! cant do that here...

Attachments

• n25708232_32480109_420.jpg
    n25708232_32480109_420.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 34
  • n25708232_32480112_1987.jpg
    n25708232_32480112_1987.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
i think in MI you only have to be off the water 1 hr. before sunset if you DONT HAVE LIGHTS

if you were to add running lights (red/green), and a nav light I dont see why you wouldnt be legal

pwc's are blanketed as "illegal" after dark simply for the fact that NONE of them have lights.......

Zerfman34

M.D. in the works...
i think in MI you only have to be off the water 1 hr. before sunset if you DONT HAVE LIGHTS

if you were to add running lights (red/green), and a nav light I dont see why you wouldnt be legal

pwc's are blanketed as "illegal" after dark simply for the fact that NONE of them have lights.......

makes sense

Top Bottom