Other Share your embarrassing jet ski moments...

mightymighty2stroke

I'd rather be on the lake
Was thinking of starting this thread after Saturday at Wave Daze. What have you done on/around your ski that was embarrassing?

Me - I typically ride on the lake, so I never beach my ski. I usually hop off ten yards away and pull it up on a beach stand, or tie it up on a buoy. Wave Daze was the first time I've had to beach since May of last year, so I was being really mindful of the process...ease it in, brap at last minute, shift weight back in case it stops suddenly. My first time coming back in, everything seems perfect. I brap, slide to a nice stop, and just as I'm thinking, "rad, dude! you did it!" my left foot refuses to come out of the foothold when I want it to and I crash on the ground onto my left side. After my ski had already been fully stopped. In front of probably 100 people.

To add insult to injury, when I got up I also realized I had done it directly in front of the WD live feed camera. AWESOME! :Banane13:

hit a sandbar once, and flipped over the bars not watching where I was going.....there was a group of 5 girls was checkin out and yeah...

no need to stop, nothing to see here

did the same thing on the best day of surf florida has ever seen..hurricane bill

first trip out the inlet 730 am, thought I could skitch the sandbar.....triple summersault over the bars at WOT..that rung my bell, hard. adrenaline from the 20's that day finally overcame but it was a HARD hit

Last edited:
Dropped my first stand up a 87 js550 onto my single jet ski trailer tongue from my lifted truck bed and destroyed the hull in front of a bunch of people at the boat ramp. Ended up just riding my xp that day, was pretty pissed off but that sparked me buying up way to many project ski's

one time i was riding at local lake and had to take a massive dump. i mean i was hurting bad. i had to go to local marina.i went into the cafe and asked the cook where the bathroom was.went straight to the toilet. soaking wet with a wet suit on. i left a trail of water everywhere and im pretty sure everyone was onto me.oh well.when you gotta go,you gotta go.

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
Im not really much of a couch rider but one time I was unloading a bunch of skis off my trailer. I went to unlaod a sitdown and didnt want to get wet. I jumped off the side of the trailer onto the couck and it flipped over. That was embarrasing.

One time, at band camp, or pismo actually. I was riding a 550 and it started to bog out on me. I beached it and popped the hood not realizing a big rush of water coming right at me. Yup, filled the 550 hull. Not sure anyone was watching, but I flipped that bilge switch pretty fast lol. I have also gone over the bars beaching my old SN at Brigantine. That was embarrassing, I dont beach skis like that anymore.

I attempted to ride my freshly painted 650sx onto the bunks and managed to fall off the trailer at the local ramp. I smashed the ski into the trailer fender and then I fell off between the trailer and the dock. Lotsa people laughing........ski was still running, and I was floundering around trying to get back on my feet to shut the ski down.

I'm much better at it now.

On a crowded day in the harbor my ski died while heading in 50 feet away from touching bottom. Swam it in in front of a bunch of people for about 5 minutes. Can't really do it gracefully.
Test riding my superjet before buying I slipped on some seaweed and fell strait on my ass on the ramp in front of the seller.

Last edited:

JT_Freeride

John Tetenes @Jtetenes
I was riding with a bunch of my friends at a local spot out in the bay when a boat of some girls we new pulled up and they where all asking what we could do with the stand ups. I didn't want to do anything because where we were was only 2-3 feet deep so I said :):):) it and just did some little hood tricks and fountains you know the little chit. Then dumbarse me decides it would be a good idea to sub it i hit bottom flew over the bars only after taking out the pole with my knee and breaking all 4 motor mounts. I have never be more embarrassed and in so much pain at the same time. Today I won't sub it unless I know it's 10+ feet deep.

I have had plenty, when I first finished the triple blaster project it backfired right by the beach and blew the hose off the 3" exhaust outlet and promptly sunk like a rock in front of everyone at the boat ramp.

ProSouth

Seriously, Don't be a dick.
i dont know how many times ive taken my hood back off after latching and ratcheting it then realizing my gas caps still sitting by my gas can....

swapmeet

Brotastic
X2 on leaving the lanyard in, the best part is turning to figure out what's pulling on your life vest and the lanyard is like...
rickjames2.gif

Alright, I got one.
Fx1 with AM handle pole bracket (i.e. no pole lock), had the pole up and hood off. It was a windy day, looking to see how much gas I had in the tank (internal fill, sun was going down, couldn't see through the tank) WHAM!!!
Pole falls on the back of my head, smacking my eyebrow into the filler. Cut me open pretty decent, but luckily it healed nicely. Walking around in front of my friends with a bloody head and not even from doing anything cool.

Last edited:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Was thinking of starting this thread after Saturday at Wave Daze. What have you done on/around your ski that was embarrassing?

Me - I typically ride on the lake, so I never beach my ski. I usually hop off ten yards away and pull it up on a beach stand, or tie it up on a buoy. Wave Daze was the first time I've had to beach since May of last year, so I was being really mindful of the process...ease it in, brap at last minute, shift weight back in case it stops suddenly. My first time coming back in, everything seems perfect. I brap, slide to a nice stop, and just as I'm thinking, "rad, dude! you did it!" my left foot refuses to come out of the foothold when I want it to and I crash on the ground onto my left side. After my ski had already been fully stopped. In front of probably 100 people.

To add insult to injury, when I got up I also realized I had done it directly in front of the WD live feed camera. AWESOME! :Banane13:

I think everyone's done that one.

I'll do you one better: How about that same scenario except doing it in front of the entire Pro-rider line up at Surf Slam. Do the full beach stop, roll over the front of the ski, and Taylor Curtis comes running up to you, helps you up and asks if you're ok "because that looked bad, dude!"

LOL. (That wasn't me)

Dmac80sc

Site Supporter
hit a sandbar once, and flipped over the bars not watching where I was going.....there was a group of 5 girls was checkin out and yeah...

no need to stop, nothing to see here

did the same thing on the best day of surf florida has ever seen..hurricane bill

first trip out the inlet 730 am, thought I could skitch the sandbar.....triple summersault over the bars at WOT..that rung my bell, hard. adrenaline from the 20's that day finally overcame but it was a HARD hit
If you are taking about St Augustine then it happened to me too. First time there launch the ski and just want to do quick lap and make sure the ski is good. Didn't put my helmet on and brap brap over the handle bars I go. The guys got a good laugh and said " O yeah watch out for the sand bar during low tide.

I had taken my helmet off to look at something with the hood off. But I hadn't tighten down the bolts on my pole lately and it came down and split my head open. I did bleed a lot but no stitches. Working on a ski can be dangerous wear your helmet. lol

Top Bottom