Surfriding Speed and Style Surf Competition 2013 Daytona Freeride

Basic Format:
I wanted to take a minute and update everyone on what went on Sunday. The final concept/idea we came up with was to have 4 competitors do 3 heats with 3 minute runs. Total run time was 36 minutes. No cue time in between runs or heats.

The first rider (one rider at a time) gets his boat in the water w/ a holder about knee deep, then we start the comp (3 min run). As he is going the next rider is cued up or "on deck". As soon as 3 min is up, the next rider goes. As soon as the rider sees the other rider coming out he goes in. At the point rider 2 starts his motor and heads out to relieve the current rider, his time has started and the other rider is not being scored anymore. He should head directly in w/o interfering in the current riders flow. If he does, he will receive and interference infraction for being in the way and docked a certain amount of points off his run score.

Number of Riders, and Length of runs:
For this particular trial run we ran 4 riders w/ 3 min run and 3 heats. We only had 4 riders just to keep it from being too long and it seemed like enough people to accomplish what we were trying to do. Surf was small so 3 minutes was plenty of time to get a solid run in. Also, with there being 3 heats the odds are you will get a run w/ a set rolling through. Seemed to work out ok. I think for a real comp 4 heats will be better. We also decided that if the surf is bigger the runs could and most likely would be extended to 4 minutes to get around in the bigger surf. We also decided that comps. w/ 8 or less people would be run "one up" and comps. with 9 or more we most likely would incorporate a "head to head" format to save time and keep the flow.

Any rider who fails to have their ski ready for a heat will be bumped and will receive a 0 for that run. I can not stress enough that this is a production/entertainment first competition. We are putting on a show for people to watch, so remember if you don't have your part of the show down it makes us all look bad.

Goals of the comp:
1. No break in action at all throughout the competition. Riders will relieve each other in the surf so there is no cue time.
2. Fluid riding at speed, linking maneuvers from one wave to the next keeping it exciting
3. No trolling around looking for the perfect wave. You need to be hitting everything you can and as fast as you can with style.
4.Most important this needs to be interesting to the crowd and have a flow of action that is not interrupted.
We will be doing a few more of these before we bring it to the 2013 Daytona Freeride to make sure we have everything figured out..

IMG_6107.jpg

IMG_6130.jpg

IMG_6104.jpg

IMG_6176.jpg

IMG_6261.jpg

IMG_6280.jpg

IMG_6283.jpg

IMG_6325.jpg

IMG_6325.jpg

IMG_6220.jpg

IMG_6168.jpg

IMG_6222.jpg

kcmasterpiece

Sweet Baby Ray's Sucks
If i can find a song im happy with, ill have a video to go along with those pictures. Ive spent most of today listening to music and cant find a song i like....

carter would be tough to beat in a competition like this. he reminds me alot of ross c when he lived here. super smooth surf riding and the big aerials to go along with it.

just a tad bit taller :)

no doubt in my mind.....WAB and carter presented the most style....dont make me choose as to who rode better.....but the last 5 minutes of the comp lets just say wab KILLED it (we'll blame it on the good set he caught hehehe)

I saw TONS of great manuevers......thrillhill is tough...man, ex racers got the stamina and Jim :):):):)ing goes off....his ski is pinned from the moment he takes off to coming back..like...pinned..the ENTIRE time.

andy (wab) has come into his element the past year or 2 with a good running boat has progressed leaps and bounds..I love watching him as everything is high speed..no trolling at all. squares rule.

maniac.......killed it as well, althogh i know he was dying to backflip...freaky is light off the waves and i could definatly see myself on that platform

carter.....:):):):)iung awesome as well......goes off, fearless and handles the boat like its weightless.....i'd fear him as a competitor any day of the week.....especially since CB dont care about breaking stuff.......

this comp was so awesome...not a single flip or roll.....all fluid with no bobbling....IMO the aerial moves are sweet, but they are not FLUID. the mx and bmx guys would laugh us off the table, but NOT in a comp like this....high speed wave shredding and unless you are grindng gel off the bottom of your ski, you aint doin it right

IMO I cant stand MANY (not all) of the flips and rolls done by skis as they are NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT fluid...........

now:

Re-entrys...unless the nose is down, it sucks.....yes many of my own are nose up but that just shows how difficult is really is

keeping the nose down is NOT easy....

cant wait to see what happens on a day when all competitors (including myself) have more than 2 hours sleep!

slutty has the mechanics of the comp down flat...its going to be an incredible display of skill and PURITY.............and BTW....3 minutes of WOT surf riding is definatly taxing....not to be taken lightly

Last edited:
Speaking as an old Blaster guy and spectator on Sunday, it was awesome to be able to watch and concentrate on one ski at a time , one after another. you guys were killin' it. This competition will be a lot of fun to watch. Good to put names with faces too. Thanks for the invite, Nick!

extreemthrottle

freeride junkie
i agree with idok. didnt miss any rolls or backflips at all. really shows alot of skill to be able to actually ride the waves instead of just jumping over it, then hunting around for the next couple of mins looking for the next one to jump.

thx but i gotta give it to ANDY (wab) he straight ripped and was on it that last heat! Jim has some endurance for sure and kept a fast a$$ pace. Idok was still drunk. I really loved getting to watch one guy at a time and cheer like a little girl for whoever was up. Gotta get my own ski dialed in to show that ocean floor whats up! i love carnage

Lets do this poop on the regular

thx but i gotta give it to ANDY (wab) he straight ripped and was on it that last heat! Jim has some endurance for sure and kept a fast a$$ pace. Idok was still drunk. I really loved getting to watch one guy at a time and cheer like a little girl for whoever was up. Gotta get my own ski dialed in to show that ocean floor whats up! i love carnage

Lets do this poop on the regular

yes.

I can totally see doing this often at the zone...especially if there is only a few riders...

line up..ride 2-3 mins at a time, and make it a round robin.......helps us to push each other, get ride tips and gets everyone charged up!

Top Bottom