Other Sunk Ski in Lake Erie...how do we find it...

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
OK... Sunk Stunt Hull. No foam and open rails in the back to the engine compartment (went down fast and hard). The waves were 6-7 footers and built up to 8's over night. The ski went down about 100-150 yards out. The visibility in the water is only about 2 feet. I think it is in 8-16 feet of water. How do we find it. We tried dragging a heavy cable between two couches. We didn't snag on anything, but we know the cable was on the bottom....although maybe we missed it???

Anyway, here is the map. The red is the lost ski zone. The yellow is where we searched with the couches. green is wave direction on that day..it has been pretty flat since that day.

Attachments

• edgewater.jpg
    edgewater.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 866
Last edited:
That map is fantastic, the captions are great.

Metal detectors? Maybe there is a diving forum somewhere where local divers are looking for a challenge like this?

Tyrant1919

Site Supporter
Visibility not too good.

Could hire a diver and have him search. I guess the trick is to have him go in and 'stake' a rope in one spot on the bottom. He then searches around the stake in circular fashion using the rope as a guide and slowly move outwards. The idea is to maybe rope out 10 feet and drop a rock or weight when you start. Do a complete walk around the stake. Once you come back to your rock, pull out 15 ft, walk around completely. Once you come back to your rock again, pull out 20 ft, walk around completely. Time would greatly depend on visibility I'd assume. IF visibility is 2 feet, I'd assume 5 feet in between runs would be fair. Or hell. Just stake the ground, pull out 200 ft, have him run it around the stake. If it hits something have him go check it. Makes me want to get a scuba license!

Well ... before gps crop dusters would have a flag man on the field in your case the shore. I'd set some milk jugs to mark the boundaries and drag a section of chain link fence or hog wire with a 6'4x4 (or what ever) on the back to weight it down . Have a few couches set up like this and drag to the flag men. After you complete a drag they step over and do it again until you drag that grid.

The profile could be very narrow and easily missed with a cable . Hopefully the fence would snag on the bars . If it did not bring it up at least you could mark it with a buoy and dive for it.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Well ... before gps crop dusters would have a flag man on the field in your case the shore. I'd set some milk jugs to mark the boundaries and drag a section of chain link fence or hog wire with a 6'4x4 (or what ever) on the back to weight it down . Have a few couches set up like this and drag to the flag men. After you complete a drag they step over and do it again until you drag that grid.
The profile could be very narrow and easily missed with a cable . Hopefully the fence would snag on the bars . If it did not bring it up at least you could mark it with a buoy and dive for it.

The cable was dragging on the ground for sure. It was a thick ass cable...I think we just missed it.....some people are saying it probably moved a mile...I'm not buying it with no foam. It went down like a rock. A diver is going out tomorrow with a spike and a reel of cable. We'll see what happens.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Really sucks man. Hopefully the divers find it before any real damage happens to it. I could see the cable just sliding under the ski without any notice to the guys driving. I would think the ski would be fairly planted on the ground though. It might roll a little but I doubt it'd be enough to change it's general location.

Love the map though...

ok... Sunk stunt hull. no foam and open rails in the back to the engine compartment (went down fast and hard). The waves were 6-7 footers and built up to 8's over night. The ski went down about 100-150 yards out. The visibility in the water is only about 2 feet. I think it is in 8-16 feet of water. How do we find it. We tried dragging a heavy cable between two couches. We didn't snag on anything, but we know the cable was on the bottom....although maybe we missed it???

Anyway, here is the map. The red is the lost ski zone. The yellow is where we searched with the couches. Green is wave direction on that day..it has been pretty flat since that day.

wth

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
On a positive note, haven't most of the sunk skis that have been recovered, all been found within a very short distance from where they initially sank?

I only know of one that was never recovered.....Niagara river.

But I am sure others have been lost too...and not talked about here on the X maybe??

D-Roc

I forgot!
Stunt hull sunk? No way! I doubt you'll find it in shallow Lake Erie with undertow. It will move. We have rocks the size of cars show up on our beach. Mostly from ice but still the big harsh pounding waves change our beach every time.

Our ride spot is in a cove kinda.....we do not have car size rocks on the beach ever. I would like to see that.

At most we have some nasty rip currents but they should have just pushed it over and in or over and out a little bit.

Top Bottom