Surf Boat Basics 101

WAB

salty nuts
for newb's. don't let the breaking waves slap into the side of the boat when reboarding or regaining balance. Quickly turn the boat into or away from the incoming waves.
Seen many riders seperated from the ski and/or sinking from this
Never let go!

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Handpole limiting strap,
Silicone dielectric grease in/on every connection,
dual bilge pumps
flush kit for after your ride
#Zero front sponsons
Tow rope

You are riding surf, not surfing...you cannot punch through a wave like the surfers do. :bigok:

Waves come in sets, If you cannot get thru a large surf break then travel lengthways to it and it will eventually drop off or you can go around it.

The wave will also break long before you run out of depth so don't worry about being pushed up on shore if you find yourself running from some big breakers.

OCD Solutions

The #1 most basic tip..Don't ride alone.
No matter how good you think your ski is running. Too many things can happen that are beyond your control.

That's the best advice I've heard yet Dan, I don't even like riding in groups less than 3. A couple buddies were riding just a few weeks ago and one ski broke down. The ski that did the pulling was the one they were out testing in the first place cause it had been dying every ride out. Luckily for both of them they made it back in without issue.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Most people feel that sinking is a bad thing. One of the leading causes of sinking is when the hood is jarred out of place or completely off. Hoodstraps or some aux method of keeping the hood on, other than depending upon the stock latch, is a good Idea.

A limiting rope may not keep you from sinking, but it can save you a lot of money when it comes to pole and brackets.

The mod I'm waiting for isn't available yet. "Gills" like Costner in Waterworld would be helpful. (spending far too much time underwater..lol)

These items are dirt cheap and available from sellers here on the x. (not gills)

Last edited:
R

ridethelip

A fully charged battery,some basic tools and xtra plugs,A good running ski.Check under hood for items that may have come loose during last ride.Check operation of throttle and steering and test run engine/bilge pump before even leaving house.Riding tip: slow down ,read the wave and plan your moves.Turn and hit broken white water and let off on throttle and let it push you sideways.This will help you should you start to cavitate and go sideways on a steep wave face.That way you can ride it out if pump comes unhooked in random situations.

Last edited by a moderator:

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
The wave will also break long before you run out of depth so don't worry about being pushed up on shore if you find yourself running from some big breakers.

this is not always true. the beach break at Sebastian Inlet will dump you onto dry land. It's happened to me many times.

OCD Solutions

this is not always true. the beach break at Sebastian Inlet will dump you onto dry land. It's happened to me many times.

It comes up pretty steep there so I wouldn't be surprised. Most of the places I have ridden have long and shallow beaches like Daytona so the wave looses force much sooner.

Its all about the surf!
East coast and West coast surf boats are set up a little different due to the differences in the average wave sizes each coast gets. I am a West coast rider so the following advice pertains to a West Coast set up and may not work so well for East Coast surf riders. A good West Coast surf set up should have most of the emphasis in the handling arena. Most of the Aerial surf maneuvers can be accomplished simply by the height you get from jumping the waves so stick with a stock or slightly modified motor set up (like stock with a B pipe) as engine reliability is key in the surf. Building a high HP motor is generally not needed. In larger surf, a heavier ski works a little better for carving and general surf riding so a ultra light hull is not an advantage either. If Aerial maneuvers like big stabs, BR’s and Backys are in your future then your hull will need to be reinforced. Reinforcement on a Surf Ski should be a little heavier duty than a flat water set up due to the more extreme stress that you will put on your hull. Remember it’s easy to get 10-15’ of air off a wave with a stock motor. Don’t be worried about the extra weight, as stated before a heavier ski is not a disadvantage in the surf.

Newb’s (First time surf riders who are uneasy, Your friends call you a girl, etc.)

You should be fine on a Stock ski

Intermediate riders ( First time surf riders who charge, competent lake or wave carvers, Jumpers and aerialists, Chicks who ride better than you, etc, etc.)

Motor
Stock or slightly modified
Flush kit
Aftermarket Bilge pump

General Set up
Pole limiter strap
Hood straps
Footholds or Foot straps
Front foot hold
Reinforced Hull

Handling
“Tubbie” or other Mfgr’s Style front sponsons
Stock straight or D cut ride plate
Shortened pole
Shortened turn plate
Straight or 4 degree after market bars
"Extra throw" turn mod

Other (lose your fire extinguisher and put this stuff in instead)
Tow rope
Extra plugs
Plug wrench
Either or WD-40

Last edited:
idk If id put plugs in the extinguisher compartment unless you plan on sealing it with 5200 or something and only opening it when needed, because that thing lets in a lot of water over time even if you think it doesnt. I ruined my license\registration because they were in there inside a ziplock bag inside a specialty "waterproof" bag, and water got through it.

1. When you push out, pay attention and read the wave. Don't start too shallow so you don't load the pump with sand when you step into the tray.
2. Don't be afraid of the whitewash! Blip the throttle to lift the nose over it or hop up it like a step up.
3. Lean back when beaching the ski so you don't end up on your face.
4. I always try to help out others as much as possible whether its loading skis onto beachcarts or whatever, you never know when your going to need someone else's help and the surf can be unforgiving.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

East coast and West coast surf boats are set up a little different due to the differences in the average wave sizes each coast gets. I am a West coast rider so the following advice pertains to a West Coast set up and may not work so well for East Coast surf riders. A good West Coast surf set up should have most of the emphasis in the handling arena. Most of the Aerial surf maneuvers can be accomplished simply by the height you get from jumping the waves so stick with a stock or slightly modified motor set up (like stock with a B pipe) as engine reliability is key in the surf. Building a high HP motor is generally not needed. In larger surf, a heavier ski works a little better for carving and general surf riding so a ultra light hull is not an advantage either. If Aerial maneuvers like big stabs, BR’s and Backys are in your future then your hull will need to be reinforced. Reinforcement on a Surf Ski should be a little heavier duty than a flat water set up due to the more extreme stress that you will put on your hull. Remember it’s easy to get 10-15’ of air off a wave with a stock motor. Don’t be worried about the extra weight, as stated before a heavier ski is not a disadvantage in the surf.

Newb’s (First time surf riders who are uneasy, Your friends call you a girl, etc.)

You should be fine on a Stock ski

Intermediate riders ( First time surf riders who charge, competent lake or wave carvers, Jumpers and aerialists, Chicks who ride better than you, etc, etc.)

Motor
Stock or slightly modified
Flush kit
Aftermarket Bilge pump

General Set up
Pole limiter strap
Hood straps
Footholds or Foot straps
Front foot hold
Reinforced Hull

Handling
“Tubbie” or other Mfgr’s Style front sponsons
Stock straight or D cut ride plate
Shortened pole
Shortened turn plate
Straight or 4 degree after market bars
"Extra throw" turn mod

Other (lose your fire extinguisher and put this stuff in instead)
Tow rope
Extra plugs
Plug wrench
Either or WD-40

and buy a one size larger helmet if you are a westcoast rider as your head gets bigger than us eastcoast girls

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
but let me say from a surf newbies perspective thanks for the tips guys!

:haha: well since the term newbie got changed from novice/newcomer to a girl that gets anxiety attacks i guess i should get pescribed to xanax and show you just how competent this chick will be in a very short time.:1244:

Its all about the surf!
and buy a one size larger helmet if you are a westcoast rider as your head gets bigger than us eastcoast girls

I don't know were you got this from? I think East coast guys rip. I do know that the West Coast on average gets larger surf so a slightly modified or stock boat is all you need. Correct me if I'm wrong but from the threads I've read on this site it seems a lot of East coast riders set there boats up with light hulls, bigger HP motors and trim because they need it as they don't get the wave size over there as often as we do. I think your flipped up nose is a great idea no matter what coast you live on.

Its all about the surf!
:haha: well since the term newbie got changed from novice/newcomer to a girl that gets anxiety attacks i guess i should get pescribed to xanax and show you just how competent this chick will be in a very short time.:1244:

Uh the definition of a newb (First time surf riders who are uneasy, Your friends call you a girl, etc.) was meant as a joke, hence the definition of an intermediate rider;

( First time surf riders who charge, competent lake or wave carvers, Jumpers and aerialists, Chicks who ride better than you, etc, etc.)

Top Bottom