Surf Boat Basics 101

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
You are hard core.You look like an accomplished surf rider. Why are you posting on this site? Can you post some picture of you hooking it under the lip, ski upside down. The re-entry thing is so yesterday for you. c'mon I'm just joking.From the beginner to Ross champion People are throwing spray and looking at it.Why, Because they can. Panties un-wadded. You are better than me cuz I can't nose stab,flip or roll.

Easy there RTL!
Just a little razzin' goin' on here!
Check the "how-to's". Yamaslut is the author of a lot of the threads that are meant to teach you and me how to do the big-boy tricks.
He's not better than any of us. But he's a better rider than a lot of us.
Not a groupie, but I feel like I instigated your comments.
Oops!

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Never thought about this one. Good advice!!

Yep. Caused me no less than a year of poor perfomance. I caught the broken shoe right away, but replaced it with an aluminum shoe that fit right in, but was of a smaller and non-concentric inner diameter which caused cavitation. (it took me a long time to figure out what was wrong)
I have a new...expensive...plastic OEM shoe now.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Maybe I'm out of line here but the title "Surf Boat Basics 101" sounds like it was meant specifically for the flatwater riders and/or those just getting into surf riding. That way when us newbs actually hit the surf for the first couple times, we are a little more prepared and we aren't on the beach 95% of the time wrenching. So far I think we've gotten some insight towards reinforcement or a heavy ski is good, limited motors are plenty for surf, you shouldn't ride alone, dielectric grease on your connectors, and you should carry extra plugs.

I personally appreciate all the information that the surf riders can give me to help me ride better. However, I have to admit that every time a flatwater rider or a general newb wants to get into surf riding, so many experience surf riders post hostility and negativity instead of encouragement or useful information. Seriously, what's up with that?!

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Maybe I'm out of line here but the title "Surf Boat Basics 101" sounds like it was meant specifically for the flatwater riders and/or those just getting into surf riding. That way when us newbs actually hit the surf for the first couple times, we are a little more prepared and we aren't on the beach 95% of the time wrenching. So far I think we've gotten some insight towards reinforcement or a heavy ski is good, limited motors are plenty for surf, you shouldn't ride alone, dielectric grease on your connectors, and you should carry extra plugs.

I personally appreciate all the information that the surf riders can give me to help me ride better. However, I have to admit that every time a flatwater rider or a general newb wants to get into surf riding, so many experience surf riders post hostility and negativity instead of encouragement or useful information. Seriously, what's up with that?!

Honestly....I don't know what's up with that. I don't know for sure that it actually occurs. The riders around here are all I can speak for. There are plenty of "x" members that have visited St. Augustine and Daytona from inland areas.
We've always tried to make them feel at home and ride with them all we could. Never been a problem. Met great people.Had a great time too!.
A bone stock ski is fine in the surf, just as it is in flatwater, as long as you don't do tricks that submerge it. This includes riding faces/carving waves etc... some of the worst wrecks I've had were just getting rolled from pearling. Not from air stuff.
I don't think that it's anyone's intension to keep any rider away from the surf. On the contrary, it's always cool to ride with new people.
I don't think you're seeing hostility or negativity. Maybe caution. Maybe a slightly overemphasized word of safety....but I've never ridden with anyone who would try to keep other riders from enjoying the surf.

C'mon now.....Macon, GA? And you've not been to the surf?

EDIT: you can't really know when you're gonna be submerged. So, at least a bilge pump is smart.

Last edited:
I have to say that the locals at Pismo and Oceanside have always been SUPER cool to me. From riding and set up tips to tow ins (Thanks John!) to boat test rides (JFB even offered his boat for me to ride - How cool is that?!). So I will vouch for all the riders that I have met for the hospitality.

As far as bare minimum surf set up. My boat is a fresh water boat so for surf I would recommend at the very least: 1 or 2 bilge system, stock flame arrestors and pole limiting strap. If you watch my vid at 00:22 where the wave catches my boat you see you dont need to be doing aerial tricks to easily break your pole bracket.

Some of the best advice I have gotten: Know your limits! Start small and learn to read waves. Dont turn your back on the waves either. Lastly, Have Fun!

Waternut

Customizing addict
Honestly....I don't know what's up with that. I don't know for sure that it actually occurs. The riders around here are all I can speak for. There are plenty of "x" members that have visited St. Augustine and Daytona from inland areas.
We've always tried to make them feel at home and ride with them all we could. Never been a problem. Met great people.Had a great time too!.
A bone stock ski is fine in the surf, just as it is in flatwater, as long as you don't do tricks that submerge it. This includes riding faces/carving waves etc... some of the worst wrecks I've had were just getting rolled from pearling. Not from air stuff.
I don't think that it's anyone's intension to keep any rider away from the surf. On the contrary, it's always cool to ride with new people.
I don't think you're seeing hostility or negativity. Maybe caution. Maybe a slightly overemphasized word of safety....but I've never ridden with anyone who would try to keep other riders from enjoying the surf.

C'mon now.....Macon, GA? And you've not been to the surf?

EDIT: you can't really know when you're gonna be submerged. So, at least a bilge pump is smart.

I've actually been to Daytona a couple times to ride but I'd still consider myself more of a newb than an experienced rider. Therefore, I'm always looking for things I should know or will help me out. I will admit that just about everyone I've actually talked to that rides surf is really cool. It's just on the forum when some surf riders talk about flatwater, they have a very disrespectful and hateful attitude towards it and that's what turns me off of going more often. Yes we all understand flatwater needs lightweight ski's and big motors to do the big tricks. Yes 10 backflips in a row is incredibly boring but how many people do you really know that do that? I don't personally know any.

man, flatwater dudes really have low self esteem, or something.... I never said one negative thing about flatwater, yet the people come out of the woodwork to whine... This site people used to get the benefit of the doubt, now it's straight to drama time... It's pretty sad.

Any of you guys come out and ride w/ me you will see I am just a normal dude just like you with no attitude and I am abut as far from arrogant as you can get... but then it's more fun for some to make up drama on this site than actually go out and ride... ha ha ha

extreemthrottle

freeride junkie
one thing i have'nt seen posted here, is to "always keep your head on a pivot!" in other words, look out for people in the water (not riding), people around you riding, idiots on rental skis, and debris in the water. where we ride there is'nt a "jetski zone" so be resectful of others in the water.

keep blipping the throttle especially if its rough it will help keep the pump stuffed with water and less cavitation. a good aggressive scoop grate is your friend in the surf!

also last but not least, stay hydrated! alot of people don't realize how quickly you will dehyrate in the saltwater.

Its all about the surf!
all those dudes you are referring to for the most part are flatwater riders who come and ride in the surf sometimes... The real surf riders here have heavy hulls w/ crappy motors and most don't even post on this ridiculous site...

I stand corrected, that’s why I put in the disclaimer HA HA! Truth is, even thiough I lived in Florida as a small child, that was many years ago and I don’t remember what its like there, I only know what I’ve read on this site so I’ve obviously been mislead. That’s one of the main reasons I wanted a separate section for surf riders because accurate info on ski setups get blurrred to often when we were grouped together in the past.

Speleopower

got a Superjet
Seal up e-box gaskets and grommets with silicone grease. Use dielectric grease on everything electric. I also use dielectric on other things as well like throttle cable at both ends, carb springs (outside springs), primer plunger etc.
My ski has only been in fresh water a few times but it still looks new and has never had an electric issue.

Still need to get tubbies.....

-Scott

I stand corrected, that’s why I put in the disclaimer HA HA! Truth is, even thiough I lived in Florida as a small child, that was many years ago and I don’t remember what its like there, I only know what I’ve read on this site so I’ve obviously been mislead. That’s one of the main reasons I wanted a separate section for surf riders because accurate info on ski setups get blurrred to often when we were grouped together in the past.

yup... I'm w/ you on the different section too... the two styles could not be more different and people will understand the differences w/ separate sections.

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
all i ever ride is flat water (that will change soon) and to be honest, i dont even read the flat water/freestyle section anymore. im in constant need of challenge and i think the surf will be my therapy.

R

ridethelip

Whoever you are and what ever your ability riding in the surf is super fun.Anybody who would like to come ride Oceanside it would be fun to ride with ya. Keep in mind as people voice there opinions and suggestions some of it is purely in fun.Here is something that is very serious as far as marketing but would not work now.You just gotta laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
Whoever you are and what ever your ability riding in the surf is super fun.Anybody who would like to come ride Oceanside it would be fun to ride with ya. Keep in mind as people voice there opinions and suggestions some of it is purely in fun.Here is something that is very serious as far as marketing but would not work now.You just gotta laugh.
Thats great! I'm stealing it....

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom