Surf Boat Basics 101

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
Uh the definition of a newb (First time surf riders who are uneasy, Your friends call you a girl, etc.) was meant as a joke, hence the definition of an intermediate rider;

( First time surf riders who charge, competent lake or wave carvers, Jumpers and aerialists, Chicks who ride better than you, etc, etc.)

i was joking as well, no worries. i hope to ride some cali surf in the near future!

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Tip for CH....Just something I noticed while viewing your wipe-out vid in the how NOT to thread....

When re-mounting in shallow water, nail that sucker & get to your feet quickly. Then you can "bunny hop" some of that white-water instead of "darting" thru it! It may seem simple, but it will save you a lot of energy. Then get out beyond the break and pick the waves you want from there until you're more comfortable inside.

Last edited:

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
know your limitations, don't go out in ten foot surf just because everyone else is that day...practice close to shore until your ready...

I wasn't suggesting that he or anyone else ride in conditions that they're not prepared for.
Just that it is much easier riding outside the break while you cherry-pick your waves.
And that it's much easier coming in than going out. (to me, anyway)

Do you remember trying to get out thru the white-water during "Bill"? That was tough for even the most experienced east coast surfriders! Bunny-hopping 5ft white-water, then racing side to side to find the clean etc....

I think a rider new-to-surf is safer on the outside than getting beat-up in the white stuff.

Last edited:

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
I think a rider new-to-surf is safer on the outside than getting beat-up in the white stuff.

I was going to say that. If the waves are big(say 8ft and up), stay away from the shore pound. It will destroy a boat and try to drown you. We have had days where there are waves that are 10-12 feet breaking onto sand. You cannot ride the beach break those days. That's when we head out to a sandbar thats usually 6-7 feet deep at low tide. Much safer because the waves aren't going to pummel you into the beach.

I don't know were you got this from? I think East coast guys rip. I do know that the West Coast on average gets larger surf so a slightly modified or stock boat is all you need. Correct me if I'm wrong but from the threads I've read on this site it seems a lot of East coast riders set there boats up with light hulls, bigger HP motors and trim because they need it as they don't get the wave size over there as often as we do. I think your flipped up nose is a great idea no matter what coast you live on.

all those dudes you are referring to for the most part are flatwater riders who come and ride in the surf sometimes... The real surf riders here have heavy hulls w/ crappy motors and most don't even post on this ridiculous site...

I also the guys who want to do 70 1ft flips in a row off 1ft waves are not surfriders, they are just glorified flatwater flippers. When I see people start doing "surf" moves then you will see them w/ stock surf hulls and not fly weight carbon boats w/ high dollar motors. I will give Tem a break though cause he does really surf the wave and tries to get better at that.. Not trying to be a dick but I don't want to be lumped into that group... I pride myself on getting better at riding not giving my credit card a workout at the many aftermarket shops in Fl... he he he

It's just a different way of looking at surfriding... Tricks are cool, but they are just that tricks... doing a solid reentry or slash a wave is impressive to me, not 500 flips in a row....

R

ridethelip

throwing spray and then turning your head to look at it is what level of rider? LOL

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
all those dudes you are referring to for the most part are flatwater riders who come and ride in the surf sometimes... The real surf riders here have heavy hulls w/ crappy motors and most don't even post on this ridiculous site...

I also the guys who want to do 70 1ft flips in a row off 1ft waves are not surfriders, they are just glorified flatwater flippers. When I see people start doing "surf" moves then you will see them w/ stock surf hulls and not fly weight carbon boats w/ high dollar motors. I will give Tem a break though cause he does really surf the wave and tries to get better at that.. Not trying to be a dick but I don't want to be lumped into that group... I pride myself on getting better at riding not giving my credit card a workout at the many aftermarket shops in Fl... he he he

It's just a different way of looking at surfriding... Tricks are cool, but they are just that tricks... doing a solid reentry or slash a wave is impressive to me, not 500 flips in a row....

Easy there now Slutty!
I can understand where you're coming from, but you're coming from a different place than a lot of us! (in that you have done all the tricks) Now you've become a purist! And that's great!
Is it not possible to enjoy both worlds? tricks AND surfriding?
Or Flat AND Surf?
As far as the money people put into their ski's..well, that's up to them and their ability to do so.
You are living proof that just about any trick can be done in the surf with a ski with average mods. I have a ski with average mods.....guys like you inspire guys like me to advance.
I don't know how far I would go if I had the money to do ....whatever, But I certainly would not bust on those who go all the way. Those are usually the guys who are first to try new products and let us know if they are worth it!

For now, heavy average pig-ski for me! lol.

Last edited:

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter

:haha: ok Wydopen... LMFAO

Im gonna build me a heavy surf pos and get into it more next year. I wanna make trips to Mexico.

R

ridethelip

The real surf riders here have heavy hulls w/ crappy motors and most don't even post on this ridiculous site...

Who are the real surf riders?
Who cares!
it's when you think you have it figured out that you are just beginning.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Surf Boat Basics 101.......I think that's where this thread started.

Keyword "basics".
I don't think anybody who is new to surf is gonna decide after their first ride if they will be a "trick-guy" or a "surfrider". I thought it was about little tips for people that wanna give the surf a try, or visit from inland, or simply stay afloat when they do try the surf.

It's all about the fun, the rush, the way your heart pounds when you try something new. If you've done it all, then I guess you don't feel that anymore.

people always assume the worst in what anyone posts.... that's why this site is sucks!!!!

227 said that the guys over here have light weight boats and banging motors, that's not true, that was my real point anyway, but read what you want into it... The riders I ride w/ do not have anything like that and most of them rip harder then the ones w/ all the fancy crap...

and it's my opinion the people he was referring to are not surfriders, but both lake riders and ride surf sometimes... Nothing wrong w/ that, don't think I said there was anyway... when I said "real surfrider" it must have gotten your panties in wad or something, assuming I am saying I am better than you... like I said above, always assume the worst even though I never intended to put anyone down....

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
people always assume the worst in what anyone posts.... that's why this site is sucks!!!!

227 said that the guys over here have light weight boats and banging motors, that's not true, that was my real point anyway, but read what you want into it... The riders I ride w/ do not have anything like that and most of them rip harder then the ones w/ all the fancy crap...

and it's my opinion the people he was referring to are not surfriders, but both lake riders and ride surf sometimes... Nothing wrong w/ that, don't think I said there was anyway... when I said "real surfrider" it must have gotten your panties in wad or something, assuming I am saying I am better than you... like I said above, always assume the worst even though I never intended to put anyone down....

First: I'm not wearing any panties! (sorry...bad visual)

Second: You "Are" better than me in the surf. (I don't think there's any debate there)

Third: You're a great dude, but your buttons are really easy to push! (relax and enjoy)

Fourth: The site helps people. There is always gonna be somebody "new" who is gonna ask the same questions that 1000 guys/gals prior did. Yes it gets old, but it's a good thing to help. And the "drama" here has calmed down a lot. Most posts seem to be very constructive. Someone needs help, someone gets help. The experienced guys are likely tired of answering the same questions, but they do it. That's a good thing.
Instead of saying "do a search, moron".

Fifth: When's your birthday? I'm gonna buy you a surfboard! lol. (from a yard sale)

I wasn't suggesting that he or anyone else ride in conditions that they're not prepared for.
Just that it is much easier riding outside the break while you cherry-pick your waves.
And that it's much easier coming in than going out. (to me, anyway)

Do you remember trying to get out thru the white-water during "Bill"? That was tough for even the most experienced east coast surfriders! Bunny-hopping 5ft white-water, then racing side to side to find the clean etc....

I agree it is easier staying on the outside of the break and avoid the crush zone once you are good enough to get out there...during "Bill" a newbie could not have made it out there without getting hammered/swamped but could have rode between the bridge and the high white water in some of the smaller stuff on the bunny hill...my post above was not in response to yours, I was thinking sometimes there is a safer zone to ride between the shore break and the crush zone for a newbie to work on their skills.

Last edited:

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
I agree it is easier staying on the outside of the break and avoid the crush zone once you are good enough to get out there...during "Bill" a newbie could not have made it out there without getting hammered/swamped but could have rode between the bridge and the high white water some of the smaller stuff on the bunny hill...my post above was not in response to yours, I was thinking sometimes there is a safer zone to ride between the shore break and the crush zone for a newbie to work on their skills.

True then. Very true.
That was not a day for beginners. It was, however, the best day I've experienced in Florida on a ski! Our surf is only like that once or twice a decade. I was only trying to express the difficulty that "experienced" riders had getting out there. If you didn't hit a "lull" it took some time to work your way out.

On the other hand: let's not pretend that a flatwater rider from Kentucky can't ride. These flatwater riders know how to ride. The waves just change it ...a lot. They will get the hang if they just get thru the foam, play on the swells b4 rippin on the lippers. Get the feel.

R

ridethelip

You are hard core.You look like an accomplished surf rider. Why are you posting on this site? Can you post some picture of you hooking it under the lip, ski upside down. The re-entry thing is so yesterday for you. c'mon I'm just joking.From the beginner to Ross champion People are throwing spray and looking at it.Why, Because they can. Panties un-wadded. You are better than me cuz I can't nose stab,flip or roll.

R

ridethelip

Get back on track.
Good Idea! If you get yourself in a position in the impact zone where you have to bail your boat send the ski parallel to shore as it is less likely to hit the bottom sideways.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
uhhh.....let's not re-introduce the drama....

basics...101...remember?

Tip: don't run your ski up on the beach like a rock star if you have an aggressive intake grate. (you will break that plastic pump shoe to look cool) .....personal experience.

Top Bottom