Taper bored 38's on a 845cc Big Bore?

Scott's already switched back to a 701 and I am gathering parts for another 760. Even an unported 701 with all the limited bolt-ons is a really fun surf ski.

As for better mileage with the 38's, I don't know about that. My wife seems to burn just as much fuel with her 760 with 38's as I do with my SS865 and 46's. She just putters around out past the bigger waves and never really gets on the throttle but she'll consistently take on 3.5 gallons to my 4.

So either the 38's aren't really that great or the maybe 46's are just as good.?.?.? Dunno.
L
Scott's already switched back to a 701 and I am gathering parts for another 760. Even an unported 701 with all the limited bolt-ons is a really fun surf ski.

As for better mileage with the 38's, I don't know about that. My wife seems to burn just as much fuel with her 760 with 38's as I do with my SS865 and 46's. She just putters around out past the bigger waves and never really gets on the throttle but she'll consistently take on 3.5 gallons to my 4.

So either the 38's aren't really that great or the maybe 46's are just as good.?.?.? Dunno.
Those 38 are running too rich at part throttle. They can run cleaner and still have good response when compared to larger carbs. 44s draw fuel very well on smaller engines and can can be tuned for somewhat clean running with stock flame arresters.

Last edited:

JMew03

The call me Mew Mew
I don't know. The dual 38s on my maniac 735 engine will go for ever on 5 gallons. Haven't really put to much ride time on the current ss865 with dual 46s but they don't seem to drink a lot of fuel.

38s on a small pipe can be very efficient and still make good power on the right tune and prop if the load isnt too crazy. small changes can make big diff in run time.I have seen pretty efficient 44s and 46s also,but not as good as 38s. The cost effectiveness and efficiency of 38s is hard to beat,after all $1500 for the latest greatest huge carbs is kinda retarded for the average surf ski guy.

Top Bottom