The inevitable total loss woes(now with pics)

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
MSD didn't respond to my email asking for help. Can't someone help me out? It is a single channel double coil. It just has a lot of wires coming off it. Which ones do I hook up to?

My original post was:

"I got the replacement coil from godocgo. It is different from the other one bacause it has 4 wires coming off it instead of the 2 that the original one had. One black wire coming out has a ring connection and looks like it is a ground. The other three wires(black, brown, and yellow or maybe a discolored white) are connected into a plug. Does anyone know how I hook this up to my system which was setup for a 2 wire coil?"

Last edited:

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
MSD didn't respond to my email asking for help. Can't someone help me out? It is a single channel double coil. It just has a lot of wires coming off it. Which ones do I hook up to?

My original post was:

"I got the replacement coil from godocgo. It is different from the other one bacause it has 4 wires coming off it instead of the 2 that the original one had. One black wire coming out has a ring connection and looks like it is a ground. The other three wires(black, brown, and yellow or maybe a discolored white) are connected into a plug. Does anyone know how I hook this up to my system which was setup for a 2 wire coil?"

No but I can hook up a windshield wiper to a billy goats azz if that helps.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Unless you can pull a make or model from that coil I wouldn't use it. I've been looking through various types of coils and there isn't much consistency. Some have a ground, some use the coil to run a tachometer, some have wires that run directly to a switch to power it on, and some use seperate wires to fire each tower individually instead of together...and all use different wire color configurations.

Call the motorcycle shop up the road and see if they have a decent coil for cheap. The harley store near you had a screamin eagle coil (P/N 31653-97) for $55 that I almost bought when mine finally started working right. Gorilla raves about the screamin eagle coils and the stats look pretty good so that might be an option.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Can anyone identify this coil?

it is not a multi channel coil, it is a red dual coil. they only came with single channel as far as i know. all my dual channels use the 2 individual black coils.

this one was from a single channel setup.

This is my last ditch effort to get this coil to work. I don't want to experiment with it and fry my brain somehow. :ugh: How do I hook it up?

Attachments

• DSC09422.jpg
    DSC09422.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC09424.jpg
    DSC09424.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 24
Red coil wiring

That Red coil was my favorite.. It produced better accelleration than the new Black ones, (IMO)..
Black = Ground (outside of loom)
The other black = CDI black
Brown = cyl 1
Orange = cyl 2
Yellow = cyl 3
This is for a triple, so disregard the Orange or Yellow wire..

Randy

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Randy you are the man, but I'm a little confused. My setup now has two wires for the coil (orange and blue). The black wire on the brain is grounded to the negative battery post. From what I think you are saying:

Black wire outside of loom and the black wire in the loom should both be grounded to the negative battery post. The other two wires (brown and yellow) should be connected to the orange and blue wires coming from my brain.

Is that right? This is for a 2 cylinder superjet motor.

SUPERTUNE

Race Gas Rules
Like I said earlier, the coil your posting a picture of, has wires color codes that are for a multi channel ignition, 2 pickups on the stator and 1 magnet in the flywheel and NOT for a single pickup w/ a double secondary coil using 1 pickup and 2 magnets in the flywheel.
Get a different coil for the single channel ignition system. This coil will NOT work!!

Coil

Chuck is correct.. I didn't read the whole thread, and just posted what I thought you needed.. Well, at least you have a complete schematic for the chip style "Dual pick-up" ignition.
Randy

Top Bottom