Custom/Hybrid The making of my "Feral" hull...

Waternut

Customizing addict
Ok finally got everyone else's projects out of my house...well mostly. Anyway, had some time to work on my own for a change. Lots of sanding, filling, and fairing. There is just a primer coat and there is still loads of work to be done but at least it looks like the bottom deck mold is close to completion...

Attachments

• DSCF1015.jpg
    DSCF1015.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 352
  • DSCF1014.jpg
    DSCF1014.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 363

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
I'm ready for another carbon party at 'Nuts house. When we layin' up some chit? I'll bring the bong and doritos.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Finally some progress to show... LOTS and LOTS of hand sanding! I've used 1.5 gallons of bondo between the top and bottom deck. :shocked:

Once the paint cures, I'll polish it up and start cutting the carbon so it's ready to go. This should be interesting with all the sharp corners at the back.

Attachments

• DSCF0055.jpg
    DSCF0055.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCF0056.jpg
    DSCF0056.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCF0057.jpg
    DSCF0057.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 244
  • DSCF0058.jpg
    DSCF0058.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCF0059.jpg
    DSCF0059.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCF0060.jpg
    DSCF0060.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 233

spork

down with the sickness
How many layers of carbon did you use on the top half, and how many for bottom? I'm doing a "one off" hull copy out of carbon and am curious to how many layers it will take. What carbon are you using 5.9oz or? I can get 5.9oz 2x2 twill carbon locally for $35/yd or cheaper if I get a full 100yd roll. That is just material no epoxy or pre-preg. As far as I've seen that's about as cheap as it can be purchased. Also did you use teflon release or ? Looks great! I hope mine turns out at least half as good as yours is!

Waternut

Customizing addict
How many layers of carbon did you use on the top half, and how many for bottom? I'm doing a "one off" hull copy out of carbon and am curious to how many layers it will take. What carbon are you using 5.9oz or? I can get 5.9oz 2x2 twill carbon locally for $35/yd or cheaper if I get a full 100yd roll. That is just material no epoxy or pre-preg. As far as I've seen that's about as cheap as it can be purchased. Also did you use teflon release or ? Looks great! I hope mine turns out at least half as good as yours is!

I am using 19.7oz twill from www.sollercomposites.com. It's cheaper than $35/yd and more than 3 times as thick. If you're trying to do a budget build, it's a no brainer in my eyes. It's high quality carbon as well and not some crappy automotive junk that is just used for looks. There are better carbons out there but unless you're trying to say every ounce possible, I can't see it being worth the extra cost. Since this stuff is so thick, it won't lay down quite as well as 5.9oz but if you vacuum bag it, it'll all get squashed into the mold anyway so it doesn't really matter. I used PVA release on the hood and used a mold release from Fibreglast on the top deck. I think the Fiberglast stuff works better but it's hard to tell since they were different parts. There are so many mold releases out there that's it'd be hard to say which one is best...

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
I hope you have something better than Doritos to smoke. LOL

Mold looks great! Maybe we can do a carbon bottomdeck and Superfreak assembly on the same day. No smoking until after the Superfreak assembly unless you only smoke Doritos though.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Well the carbon is all cut and laid out in a anal retentive system that I'll probably forget before laying it up. Still need to cut out the breather, bleeder, and vacuum bag. I won't have time to lay it up until next week or next weekend depending on when my awesome help is available though...

Attachments

• WP_000014.jpg
    WP_000014.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 254
I would love to see a video of the whole layup process from start to finish, or at least the part where the resin gets sucked through!

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
Well the carbon is all cut and laid out in a anal retentive system that I'll probably forget before laying it up. Still need to cut out the breather, bleeder, and vacuum bag. I won't have time to lay it up until next week or next weekend depending on when my awesome help is available though...

Nice...I'm all ready for the glue-huffing party.

Very nice man, glad to see you pushing on with this project! Keep us posted as it develops! Have you started working on the top half and hood setup yet?

Looking great. im actually very interested in these hulls . are you considering creating any of these to sell after you make your own personal?
any idea on a price your shooting for? maybe a good budget aftermarket hull?

Waternut

Customizing addict
Very nice man, glad to see you pushing on with this project! Keep us posted as it develops! Have you started working on the top half and hood setup yet?

Top half was done on the first page. A carbon hood was done but it got sold with my heavily modified stunt hull so the mold is created but I haven't made a second one yet.

Looking great. im actually very interested in these hulls . are you considering creating any of these to sell after you make your own personal?
any idea on a price your shooting for? maybe a good budget aftermarket hull?

The plan was never to turn a profit on this but maybe after I've had a break and ridden this hull for a little while, I might be willing to talk individually about it if you're serious. I won't be publicly listing these hulls for sale though unless I decide to sell mine one day.

It's not rocket science, and besides, the information is already out there:

It was a joke. I'll look into maybe doing a time lapse or something but I'm not doing resin infusion.

Top Bottom