Thunderstruck ! Counter to the Blunderjet thread

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I being a certified redneck do have indoor plumbing but my house ain't got no wheels,yeah it had a 550 engine in it with a lot of PJS parts 70 hp and it was fast but had no bottom end at all,I can get the same speed out of a 750 engine plus the bottom end grunt I am looking for.

WFO Speedracer

It was a 550 reed but was based on the old piston port bottom end not the 91 and up reed engine.I have a 91 reed engine in the 300sx build,it has fairly decent bottom end but its ported with windowed pistons,dual 38 carbs and a PJS ex pipe.

WFO Speedracer

I believe so far I have bought two pieces of aluminum for the engine mounts for $35.00 and a piece of Hydroturf. The hull was given to me,the engine.exhaust,carbs,etc. came out of my 550 that was built in 91,the resin , cloth and other bodywork related items were supplied by my business,the paint was free compliments of Kirker automotive.Pretty much all I have invested is time.

WFO Speedracer

After a couple of hours of test fitting components I have decided to set the pump back the 2.25 inches that is required to put the 550 shaft and jet pump in.There just is not room to enlarge the pump cavity without totally reworking the ride tray and causing an alignment nightmare.It appears to be a fairly easy project the only drawback is I will not be able to run an intake grate,I think a scoop chip will solve that dilema nicely as well as making a nicer entry into the pump cavity.Pics to follow shortly.

WFO Speedracer

Time IS money...:noevil:

Which is precisely why my projects seem to lagging on forever,when I can generate X amount of $$$$$$$$$$ per hour,I have to do so to make up for the times when I can't. am conspiciously absent here during the heart of the season.:Banane35:

WFO Speedracer

Some progress,I found there is enough room to move the pump back without glassing the cavity,I will have to glass the pads that the pump sits on and redrill the mounting holes.I am using some scrap aluminum and glassing it in instead of using inserts for the pump mounting.I also fit a scupper tube and put the exit in the pump area.The pvc on the ex side is just for mock up,I will be using an aluminum tube.I had to glass up the rear hole that the dual exhaust ran through.I fit a Superjet steering cable it has plenty of throw but I will have to modify the length,it fits the latch on the pole perfectly.I was running a modified Seadoo cable before but after setting the pump back it is too short .

Attachments

• thunderjet 020.jpg
    thunderjet 020.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 146
  • thunderjet 021.jpg
    thunderjet 021.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 134
  • thunderjet 022.jpg
    thunderjet 022.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 197
  • thunderjet 024.jpg
    thunderjet 024.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 131
  • thunderjet 025.jpg
    thunderjet 025.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 177

Big Kahuna

Administrator
A few more pics of the progress so far,I thought I might have to call royal flush in on this one when I saw the exhause plumbing and no its not PVC,is ABS lmao.It appears it was hurridly put together and the inner liner was not properly adhered to the bottom,also foam was injected in through a hole in the liner and it looks as though it expanded too much causing the liner and bottom to seperate,there were large sections which had glue on them that never touched anything other than the liner and some of the glue had foam between it and the bottom.The triangle looking pieces next to the bulkhead in the second pic are plywood and yes they were rotten.

Hey, I talked to a friend who use to work for Laserjet, he did the R&D work on them, I mentioned this hull and the wood, he had an interesting reply "Really, all of those hulls were recalled due to the bulkhead not being strong enough and were cracking............"

Kinda interesting................. you need to really beef up that bulkhead...

WFO Speedracer

Actually that is the reason for pulling it apart and reconstructing it.I worked at the Thunderjet dealer for a while,so I knew about the hull problems and the recall.I believe in 93 they pretty much doubled the thickness of the bulkhead.This was the original demo unit from the dealership.It came without a rev limiter,well some nimrod was wave jumping it and kept the throttle pinned when he landed,the engine pretty much exploded when the pump hit the water.I rebuilt this engine under warranty and replaced the cases,crankshaft ,cylinder,head,pistons and reeds.While I had the engine out the other f15 we had just sold busted the bulkhead,we pulled a swap and put his engine into the demo hull.A new hull was ordered for this unit and I installed the new engine into it with the hull brace they had developed for it.This unit was run in the test tank then it sat for three years in the attic above the parts dept.I was working at the dealership when they closed the doors and I picked up this clean azz f15 for $300.00.

Last edited:

WFO Speedracer

if you move the pump back, wont you have a gap before the prop/liner? What are you going to do about that?

As unbelievable as it sounds there is enough room in the stock pump cavity to move the pump back the required distance and still have sufficient area to seal the pump back into the hull,I think I have about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of the tunnel left to seal the pump up to, should be plenty.That also effectivly makes my pump tunnel larger which is a good thing considering the larger engine.I also test fit a 650sx intake grate up ,with a slight mod for the back mounting hole it will work,the front bolts up the same as the 550 grate .
The 750 adaptor plate should be in either Friday or Monday so I get to mock it all up and see how it fits then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom