Tried the lightweight battery mod...

Waternut

Customizing addict
After reading all the posts about the cheap 4lb. walmart battery that Yamaslut started, I thought I would give it a shot.

Well that was money well wasted. I've charged it 2 times on a 1.5amp auto charger and when that failed to work, 2 more times on an advanced peak charger. It still won't turn my engine over fast enough to get it going. 5-10 seconds of cranking and you can listen to it start dying.

How did everyone else make these things work? What am I missing?

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
After reading all the posts about the cheap 4lb. walmart battery that Yamaslut started, I thought I would give it a shot.

Well that was money well wasted. I've charged it 2 times on a 1.5amp auto charger and when that failed to work, 2 more times on an advanced peak charger. It still won't turn my engine over fast enough to get it going. 5-10 seconds of cranking and you can listen to it start dying.

How did everyone else make these things work? What am I missing?

You could have a starter with bad brushes, a bad solenoid, a bad battery, or bad cables, or any combination of them.

Waternut

Customizing addict
You could have a starter with bad brushes, a bad solenoid, a bad battery, or bad cables, or any combination of them.

A few months ago I had everything apart and the brushes had tons of life left in them and the commutator looked normal as well. I tried new cables and got the same thing. Maybe it's just the battery has been on the shelf too long...

Wolf Child

Just Another Octard
battery.jpg

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Same thing happened to me. I picked up the Walmart 4lbs, it worked twice, then it ******** itself.
Back to Walmart.

walmart batteries are known to suck dog ass.

heres the battery i used in our 750 x2. i got it due to its size, not weight... but its definately lighter than a 16clb and cranks faster and way harder than any 16clb that ive ever used..... even after sitting for a month.

it was about twice the $$ though.

Attachments

• 750x2batt.jpg
    750x2batt.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 112
i bought a 4lb sealed moped battery from the motorcycle shop for $20. it is a lynn vick brand and im on my 2nd season with it.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I used one similar to SFL'S just a tad bigger,I did have to do some cutting and reglassing and it was easily twice the cost of a YB16CL-B.

wydopen

onthepipe
hmmm, i'm still debating if I want to run one for my trip to pismo.

the few pounds you save dosnt make any difference in the surf but having a battery with good cranking power does, especially if you are new to the surf you will probably be sinking your ski and will be wishing you had a better battery when you have your ski upside down with the plugs out

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
the few pounds you save dosnt make any difference in the surf but having a battery with good cranking power does, especially if you are new to the surf you will probably be sinking your ski and will be wishing you had a better battery when you have your ski upside down with the plugs out

x2

Top Bottom