SX/SXi/SXi Pro turfing question

I'm about to start turfing my ski after I put in my footholds. My question is do you still use the dash panel or just pitch it? I havent tried to see if the fuel/primer knobs stick out too far without it on there.

98SXIPRO

One Of A K1nd
i ditched mine, i put some foam in the low spots on the front dash area so that when i turfed if, it would be smooth/straight. (does that make any sense?). i also put one of those fuel "bulb" primers on the far right side of the hydroturfed dash area, and also put my bilge outlet where the stock "choke" hole was (made the hole bigger obviously) that way i can see when my bilge kicks on from takin on water. and then i got the billet fuel switch selector from blowsion

astandupguy

beer/jetski=good
i ditched mine and got a pancake pete, and glassed that sucker on, still havnt turfed it tho
IM keeping those stock knobs, just peeling off those white placards and puttin them on the turfjet ski pics 018.jpg

Cool, I figured I wouldnt need it anymore. Interesting setup with your bilge outlet 98sxipro, never seen that done before. I already have one just behind the manifold on the left so ill prob just put my second bilge fitting behind that, I went with a 550 and a 360 setup. That should get the water out quickly.
Post up some picks of your turf, I went with the dual color kawi green/black from blowsion and sticked inserts for the digger footholds so I dont have to worry about making the hard corners.

IMG00129-20100511-1420.jpgIMG00135-20100516-1743.jpgHere are a couple pics of my dash turfed. Used 8mm undermat on dash to smooth holes and sanded flush. Tray is 25mm with 8mm in footholds and over tray tops. I F'd up on my bottom seam, forgot to account for shrinkage, when you put hood latch and primer on it wants to pull the turf up and seperate the seam at the bottom. Tray sides are a solid piece of turf into footholds to bottom of tray with heat from a hairdryer you can do amazing things with turf!

looks good man, I like the 25mm pad. I stuck with just 8mm for the whole tray, I havent started installing anything yet but I tried my foot in the digger holds and its a snug fit without pad or turf, I didnt realize how small those are. I only wear a size 10 too lol.

98SXIPRO

One Of A K1nd
gettin mine ready for turf again...just stripped it for all the fiberglass work i did for my X2 trim mod. ive got a sheet of the black and white diamond coming tomorrow with 2 sheets of 8mm plush (for the sides and to make a pattern on teh bottom), and 25mm standard(for the bottom), along with stubby pump cone and an adjustable water restircter. Sure wish i didnt BLOsion all my money!!!

98SXIPRO

One Of A K1nd
i put the Rickters from wamiltons on my ski,and my brothers SJ. they are pretty roomy, i wear size 12s, and I can wear skate shoes with them.

98SXIPRO

One Of A K1nd
finished the undermatting today, tomorrow hydroturf!:0123011828.jpg0123011829.jpg
maybe if i get some energy tonight, ill put the motor back in and start hookin things back up
(the black foam is 8mm, and the gray is 25mm)

Last edited:
looking good, Im really getting scared about my digger holds, I will prob end up cutting the bottom out of them for more room. It was a tight fit with just shoes on and no turf or pad. By the time I get two layers of pad and a layer of turf it will be way to tight.

BTW. I plan on posting pictures as soon as I start on it, I've been super busy lately and havent had time to start on it yet. I'll be in florida for the next week for work stuff but plan on starting as soon as I get back. I havent even had time to pull my motor apart since I took it out a month ago. Crazy how much having a kid changes your life and priorities.

Ok. Just a few more dumb questions. Do you turf the actual rails or take them off and turf where they sit. Same for the chin pad. I could save a little weight and just turf the handpole instead of the old pad I guess. Lastly, do most people put pad inside the footholds? Of corse you pad the bottom but what about the top?

98SXIPRO

One Of A K1nd
i took my purple rails off and turfed onto the actual fiberglass rails (filled all the mounting holes with epoxy)

the chin pad, i removed the original covering, and glued the hydroturf to the styrofoam. ive seen a guy remove the styrofoam and turfed just the plastic mold piece...not for me, but to each their own.

the first time i turfed my ski i only put padding on the bottom, and i rode barefoot until i wised up and started wearing shoes when i rode. i just got done turfing mine and this time i padded the ENTIRE tray: bottom, sides, tops of sides, tops and bottoms of footholds, and dash area. makes the footholds a little more snug though, so make sure u got the room to do it.

98SXIPRO

One Of A K1nd
also if u havnt already thought about padding the tops of the tray area (where ur arms rest when gettin up) i strongly suggest doing so. not only does it make it a lot softer for ur arms while getting up (and when u fall and land sideways across ur tray while trying to barrel roll) but it almost makes the HT flush with the side of the ski when u wrap the turf up and around the sides (does that make any sense?) looks alot cleaner that way ( i think)

Top Bottom