Unacceptable SURF boat mods - discuss

skatebros

it's just a habit
DOn't ride alone.
Helmet! don't be unconsious in the surf...
Tow loops front and back. Easily accessible tow rope/strap
hood straps
pole limiter
would recommend having a reserve gas tank pick up.. I dont and paid the price...
I now have a small back pack with vhf radio and swim fin. guess it depends where you are riding.
reliable ski is a must, but :):):):) could always happen to any ski.. one stupid corroded connection and you are swimming.

never use a lanyard, but got to hang on for dear life once when a ton of seaweed was wrapped around my throttle!
use one in the surf now... who lets go of their ski anyway?

stay away from surfers.

stay away from rented couches jumping off the backs of waves toward the shore... they are not paying attention.
and you don't want to be around when they wreck on the rocks.

Why no stock SN hoods? What would you recommend.

It really takes on A LOT of water. In big high frequency lake erie waves it's coming over and in to the hood vents constantly. On top of that I had an open air filter last season so with every jump I could feel the water running through my engine.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Build you own hood liner and reinforce the stock square hood and it will be bulletproof. I have two hoods here that I've done. One has been punished and is holding up just fine.

If no SN hoods what do you guys recomend? The only hoods Ive seen for sale are around $900. Might as well sell my SN and get a rn! haha

No need to sell your ski because of the hood. All you really have to do is glass over the top vents and make new vent holes on the back of the hood and run tubes to connect to the stock hood liner. At least that's what I plan on doing. My riding buddies showed me the simplest way and I agree that's it. You can look up all the different styles of hood mods on here. People do really nice jobs. I'm not that skilled so I plan on keeping it simple. I don't care about weight at this point in my "career". Just want to be able to get out there and thrash. I'm in the process of gathering what I need to get surf ready and this is the first thing I do.

Last edited:
Glass over the top vents? From my experience most of the water comes in through the six holes in the front of the hood. Those are the ones I was planning on sealing up.

Glass over the top vents? From my experience most of the water comes in through the six holes in the front of the hood. Those are the ones I was planning on sealing up.

Perhaps we are confusing terminology here? What I mean are the vents on the hood that run parallel to the pole. The large opened ones on each side of the hood. In serious waves I can see my ski taking in a gallon or more every 30 seconds.

Totally did duct tape. Hey it worked. Dont close up the vent's ALL the way. Put 2 inch strips down so you can tare a panel off in the water if you are suffocating.

Type "sn hood mod site:x-h2o.com" in to google and it will custom search only this site for what you want. It's the best way to search the X.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Tiger fur. Unacceptable. It not only endangers the rider, but it puts all riders around you in danger.
However, the MOST unacceptable surf MOD is in the surf forecast.
When they are calling for glassy 4 footers for the coming weekend....all week long.....and they MOD the forecast Saturday morning to "1/2 to 1' with 100 mph wind from the east. lol.

Mr Bojangles

Lord of the Dance
anyone know any good links to SN hood builds??? I am planning some time soon to rework the breather hole location i just dont what the h3ll i am doing.

simpler, PVC pipe, and 3M 5200. tape off the front holes, this allows you to drain the water that gets in the top vents

97033853.jpg

34b8e392.jpg

9cf91ea3.jpg

KTM434

Jamie FN Hickey
I hope your ski wouldn't start and you weren't just resting. It's still a funny video and informs some non experienced surf riders how you can get pounded in surf. That was a small wave and it looked like you didn't see it coming. Always be aware of your surroundings in surf and if your ski won't start point the ski away from the wave and hold onto the outside bond rails with both arms and just let the wave push you and your ski forward. Less chance of getting pounded and separated from your upside down ski.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Thoughts on a flame ignition in the surf? Just bought one for my surf ski that doesnt exist yet. Sealed up. Battery should last longer than a tank of gas. Plan to bring extra batteries. Switched out a xscream 781 with blackjacks and boyesen intake and epic ignition for a xscream ported 701 with oem 38's and a flame ignition and some money in my pocket for a better hull. I figured lighter better hull with smaller motor and total loss would be a win over my old setup.

Top Bottom