UPDATE!!!! SKI WAS FOUND!!!!! Another ski lands in a watery grave

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
hey chick try cruising over to the coast guard station.they may be willing to make a couple passes with there sonar and see if they can locate it...might be able to help with where i could have possibly ended up as they should know what the currents were around the time it went down..of anyone in town i'd think they would have some of the best equipment to find a sunken vessel in town.

Just a thought but if you tell the authorities you lost a ski they may
A) ticket you for (for lack of a better word) dumping in the lake (you can't just sink a boat in the lake when you want to get rid of it, oil/fuel/metal/etc are not biodegradeable) or
B) set up a crew to find it (with or without your consent) and charge you if they do (or do not, likely). I am not sure how it works down there but in MN if you where to lose a boat or snowmobile or whatever in the lake you can't just leave it there. I understand that you didn't willfully sink it and it is not in a lake but I just thought I would throw in my .02.

Last edited:

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
Yes, Chic: I hope that ski isn't leaking any oil into the Gulf...! Get that thing top killed immediately please.

(Not ragging on you Yamanube - I just saw the irony)

ger87410

How did I get here?
Just a thought but if you tell the authorities you lost a ski they may
A) ticket you for (for lack of a better word) dumping in the lake (you can't just sink a boat in the lake when you want to get rid of it, oil/fuel/metal/etc are not biodegradeable) or
B) set up a crew to find it (with or without your consent) and charge you if they do (or do not, likely). I am not sure how it works down there but in MN if you where to lose a boat or snowmobile or whatever in the lake you can't just leave it there. I understand that you didn't willfully sink it and it is not in a lake but I just thought I would throw in my .02.

We have the same law here in NM, but only if you intentionally do it.

I'd be a little ify about telling the authorities too. Maybe talk to 1 and ask what they'd do if someone sunk a ski in the channel and can't find it again and go from there?

RoyalFlush@PCB

Shootin' The Crap
I have already notified the authorities as I was informed that I was supposed to in an instance like this. The officer was very cool about it. Ironically enough, they are searching for a drowning victim that jumped off a boat on Monday afternoon, maybe, just maybe they'll run across my ski during that search. I had a diver go down this morning with no luck and I have another going down later this afternoon. I have made up flyers and passed them out to all the dive shops, at the docks where the charter boats tie-up, and with the largest pontoon boat/waverunner rental place close by to where it happened. I'm not sure what else I could be doing.

RoyalFlush@PCB

Shootin' The Crap
Allright---another update: Two divers found nothing earlier today, but I was able to get ahold of the Florida State University Forensic Dive/Crime Scene Diving Instructor and he has agreed to lend a helping hand for training purposes for some of his students. He seemed fairly confident that he could do me some good and get a buoy tied to it. He can't help until Friday because he has some FBI students currently undergoing some training using some of the University's Sonar equipment. I'll keep you guys posted.

RoyalFlush@PCB

Shootin' The Crap
This thread is getting better by the hour....I really, really hope you find it. :fingersx:

Benny

Thanks, Bro!!! I hope I find it, too. I'll take pictures when I pull it up.

I figure the FSU thing is the next best thing to having the Navy or the Coast Guard assist.

That sounds great Chick.. Seems like a group like that would really want to benefit from this and might put forth the necessary effort to find it, without costing you thousands. Good luck brother, got my fingers crossed.

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
That sounds great Chick.. Seems like a group like that would really want to benefit from this and might put forth the necessary effort to find it, without costing you thousands. Good luck brother, got my fingers crossed.

AGREED!!! I hope this works out for you buddy!! Nothing like a bunch of newbs trying their hardest to IMPRESS the teach and future job prospects!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

horacio couldn't find his d##k in a whorehouse.
did it sink near the end at fort pickens?
sure sorry to hear that as the currents are pretty strong at the tip of the island.
let us know how it works out.
good luck.

Top Bottom