UPDATE!!!! SKI WAS FOUND!!!!! Another ski lands in a watery grave

waterfreak

I had a vision!
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Wow! that really suck!! I had that experience at least 3 times...twice with Stoyer with a SN in the surf and once with Whitney at the swamp. Luckily , I held on to dear life with the ski till I got help.
Maybe that's the problem with letting someone borrow your ski...if it's not theirs...they won't make the effort to save it

Keep hope alive!! Skywalker found his 6 months later!

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Problem is this was lost in the pass. Main shipping lanes. Not in a lake with no currents.

RIP

Even though this ski was waterlogged as all get out, I rode it a few times. It handled very well. Plus it had a great motor in it.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Chick did say he was replacing a hot water heater yesterday. Hummmmmmmmm you could fit a body inside one of those!. Fill the void with concrete. Take it to where it is really really deep.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Probably an acquiantance who doesn't really ride or have any clue about ski ettiquette or have the money. Good luck.

this sucks really bad.

I was thinking of carrying a rope on me, so if you know your ski is sinking and dont have any help you can tie it up and let it sink and youll have the rope attached to the ski, but the more I think about it, how the heck are you going to tie a knot while your ski is sinking ( i dont ride is more than 30 feet usually, so it wouldnt need to be that long)

MAN... like everyone else I am extremely sorry to hear that. FWIW... I'm a scuba diver and I got certified at St. Andrews. That channel gets as deep as 75+ feet just over the jetties. My buddy and I were thinking of diving PCB sometime soon... and I'd be happy to help look... but chances are you'll find some more locals who are willing/able to help.

Currents get bad in those shipping lanes... but they normally ease up the further you go down (depth). I would keep looking for sure.

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
That sucks Chic - hope you find it. Every time I hear something like this I wonder what we can be doing to find sunk skis. Surely something simple like a pinger that runs off a battery and is activated by water pressure would allow you to find it with sonar? I wonder how big that would have to be to run for, say, 48 hours to give you a shot at finding it?

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
Bingo!

http://yosemite.epa.gov/R10/OEA.NSF/webpage/Dive+Team+Equipment#pinger

Underwater Pingers and Pinger Locators
1.4CA6%21OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg
2.1136%21OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg
Divers deploying the pinger locator offshore of Newport, Oregon, to look for a PISCO instrument

At left: Pinger locator being used on the back of the Elakha above the PISCO instrument site.

In 2008, pingers (RJE International Model ULB-364) and pinger locators (RJE Model PRS-275, boat and diver based) were purchased. The purpose of these devices is to enable easy relocation of high value pieces of equipment, even if it is moved by current or otherwise dragged. If the equipment is nowhere within range in a particular water body, this can be quickly determined without putting divers in the water. Pingers are typically placed on acoustic Doppler current meters (ADCPs) and other high value equipment, as this equipment can be very expensive to replace. Pingers might also be used on biological uptake sampling devices, as failure to locate these stations could represent a loss of irreplaceable data. The pingers require two 9 volt lithium or alkaline batteries and last between 6 and 150 days depending on what type of battery and wattage (0.125 watt, 0.5 watt, and 2 watt options) are selected. The five pingers purchased are activated by a water switch and operate at a range of up to 3000 meters on frequencies 27 (2), 37 kHz (2), and 45 khz (1) and are rated to a 1000 foot depth.Top of page

Best of luck with the search but that HumminBird unit you used would work in 50+ feet of water. Keep trying it. The big screen unit of those HB are used in body recovery efforts. Boats show up pretty well on them so I'm sure a ski would too.

If you go back out with one again if you are searching in about 50ft of water make sure you set it to seach 150ft on either side. You generally get better readings if you set them between 2-3x's the depth.

Last edited:

chad

I pretty much love beer
Site Supporter
The spot Luke found on his sonar , didnt look like it could have been a ski ,looked like a rock. but he felt like it was , so we hired the diver and he brought up the hood almost immediately... Keep trying where you think it should be . I have faith youll find it !

TB

NOTHING IS EVER PROMISED
hey chick try cruising over to the coast guard station.they may be willing to make a couple passes with there sonar and see if they can locate it...might be able to help with where i could have possibly ended up as they should know what the currents were around the time it went down..of anyone in town i'd think they would have some of the best equipment to find a sunken vessel in town.

Top Bottom