Waterdawg...open Bash Session!!!!

I wouldn't call them HARD to install, they're just a little more involved than some others. Honestly, I didn't find it very difficult at all. It may not be the best mod for a first time fiberglasser, but had that been my first job I wouldn't be complaining too much. I found them to be only slightly more difficult than my WCF footholds.

x2. No prob.

I know that this is a bash session for Jeff but my dealing with Jeff has been positive. But reading all of the comments makes me think that the whole world has problems. If you are going to run a business when your phone rings then you should answer it. Well not YOU but someone that can say "Hold on while I check," and they run back and look or ask you (while you are still working) and you just answer and they handle the time consuming phone call. That person is also there to do odd things like shipping things, running to get food and hell if you have a good looking secretary then she can just be the shops eye candy. A cheap minimum wage employee can do these things and if you have one satisfied customer per day that pays for that person and your shop is more productive.

This is not just at Jeff I have the same gripe with Alantic jet sports, 24-7, Impros, and Jetski solutions to name a few. There is a HUGE list of others that don't answer the phone when it rings. I have a ski shop and work for a glass shop during the day. But when the phone rings it is answered. Even if the phones are call forwarded to another person so that they can be answered.

If you want a business to grow making people call back 3 or 4 times before they get a hold of a person is NOT the way to get it done. You are hoping that they call back the 3rd or 4th time.

OK my rant is over..... as posted earlier this is not my dealings with Jeff but just what I have heard about him and other shops.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I had my land line disconnected and transferred to a cell phone just for this very reason.I do still miss some calls when I am out water testing or am up to my elbows in a project and can't take the call but I take most of my calls now.Nobody and I do mean nobody wants to talk to a machine and some people refuse to do so.

Probably a simple case of wearing to many hats in a small business. He's gotta worry about Admin, Customer Service, Production, Marketing, Sales, Product development, Human Resource, Purchasing just to name a few duties. I used to do the same thing under stress and say F-it, i'm not picking up the phone....I almost lost all my customers. They have all comeback do to our high quality stuff but they all mentioned one thing------I need news even if its bad news....answer the phone.

WFO Speedracer

Probably a simple case of wearing to many hats in a small business. He's gotta worry about Admin, Customer Service, Production, Marketing, Sales, Product development, Human Resource, Purchasing just to name a few duties. I used to do the same thing under stress and say F-it, i'm not picking up the phone....I almost lost all my customers. They have all comeback do to our high quality stuff but they all mentioned one thing------I need news even if its bad news....answer the phone.

As Shaft would say DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

retroicon

XX-xx-XX-xx-XX
Retroicon, I will in no way base my opinion of this dude based on your post! As mentioned above who made you the authority? What problems have you had specifically with WDK? And your Idea of a 10% discount per week is ridicilious, should he just shut the doors? That way everyone could pay $1000 for a hood with no option. That idea is stupid!

Or, he could just deliver on time ... ever consider that?

In the software development field, construction, and other "custom" fields, for clients to specifically inserts a clause into contacts that state the project must be completed by X date or there will be a penalty.

10% a week is ridiculous? I commonly work on this same penalty system myself, and you can bet your ass that when I say I'm going deliver, I do ... and I have more happy, repeat customers than 99% of my competition because I'm one of the few who is willing to put my money where my mouth is, and actually deliver!

We asked our pool company to do the same ... 3 of the 5 companies we intereviewed refused, 2 said yes ... and the one we chose delivered, on time, as promised.

Based on what I've seen with other people's pool construction, and seeing it first hand, this isn't common without penalty ... and, since we had our pool completed, we've referred them 5 new clients personally, and who knows how many they're going to refer in.

It's called smart business ... but, I'm guessing you're not a businss owner.

I'm hardly out of business, in fact, it's done just the opposite ... because my clients know I have some skin in the game, they don't worry, don't bug me left and right, and they refer business to me in massive numbers. My business has grown nearly 10x in the past 5 years ...

I didn't realize that creating fiberglass parts was more complex than custom building a house?!?!?!

And, I don't personally have a problem with Jeff, but when it quacks like a duck enough times ... it's a damn duck already. It's not as if one person has complained about the problems with WD ... this has been going on for at least 2 years, if not longer. It's not one person, it's not even on one website.

Finally, to everyone who asked what makes me the "authority", nothing ... just trying to actually put Jeff's feet to the fire and make him answer something with something other than a smart ass remark for once.

He opens a thread basically saying ... let me have it, I'm going to come clean ... and then his first respone ends, "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one".

Great response to anyone wondering how he's managed to dig himself such a hole ...

As for people still owing you money ... I can't say I'm surprised. If I were ordering a custom part from you, and had no idea when it was coming, or even if, and kept seeing post, after post, after post about problems with WD, followed up by numerous people saying that you can't answer the phone ... I wouldn't feel all warm and fuzzy inside about sending payment in advance either.

Gary

wayne

wannaroll
comparing fiberglassing and home building is not even close. i have seen houses framed in one day. i have seen house builders just throw people out there to help build. you can't do that with fiberglassing. they have plans to work from. jeff creates his stuff from scratch. lets see how long it takes you to build a house with no blue prints just a stack of lumber, plumbing and electric. think about it in that aspect.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
comparing fiberglassing and home building is not even close. i have seen houses framed in one day. i have seen house builders just throw people out there to help build. you can't do that with fiberglassing. they have plans to work from. jeff creates his stuff from scratch. lets see how long it takes you to build a house with no blue prints just a stack of lumber, plumbing and electric. think about it in that aspect.
he has plans. they're called molds.

wayne

wannaroll
he has plans. they're called molds.

i understand that, but he makes his own some one does not provide him the molds. he had to do the r&d to design and create them. most houses are your basic plans and just about any one can drive a nail or pull a trigger on a nail gun. not every one can make a hull even with a mold. he even said that it takes time to train people how to do it correctly. if you cannot drive a nail or use a nail gun then you pretty much can't do any thing. house building and making hulls and parts are not even comparable. imo.

i understand that, but he makes his own some one does not provide him the molds. he had to do the r&d to design and create them. most houses are your basic plans and just about any one can drive a nail or pull a trigger on a nail gun. not every one can make a hull even with a mold. he even said that it takes time to train people how to do it correctly. if you cannot drive a nail or use a nail gun then you pretty much can't do any thing. house building and making hulls and parts are not even comparable. imo.

Your right, he had to do the r&d. That's done. Ae you saying every time he makes a REV or X-jet he has to start from scratch all over? The molds are done :261:

WFO Speedracer

Molds are usually splashed off another boat that has been modified to the dimensions that you wish to achieve, the boat it is splashed off of is called a plug.Splashing is basically just applying mold release to the plug and laying fiberglass up on the plug to a thickness adequate to support itself and be stable enough to produce parts from.Your bigger molds usually incorperate a steel framework to keep the mold stiff. It is time consuming and it does take a lot of materials to make a mold but it is not really all that difficult.If you can wax a car mix chemicals together,spray paint with an air sprayer and hold a paintbrush you too can create a mold of your very own.

wayne

wannaroll
i have seen where people wanted to make a mold and they said it was expensive and time consuming. remember also that he does most the work himself and that would even take longer for all the different hulls he makes. if he is getting to the point know where his molds are complete and his machine specs are complete so he can set up and build instead of developing. i would think that he should be able to start keeping up with orders pretty soon. like he stated he does all the custom stuff.

i worked in a custom cabinet shop and we made some artimis speakers. they where only about 2 feet tall and about 18 wide and deep. there was only one 90 degree angle on the entire speaker box. it took the shop owner about two months to make all the jigs to mass produce (50 pairs) them. we bought four 4x8 sheets of peg board and hug all the jigs from them and it filled them from top to bottom and left to right. if you wanted one speaker you had to use every jig made. he even had a cad program that told him all the angles to cut and every thing, but just making the jigs with the info still took a couple months. Just to cut the parts for 50 speakers would take one person a couple days of just cutting. then about a week for two people to build them the another week to laminate with wood laminate, stain and finish. R&D will kill you in the beginning.

Last edited:

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.
Buy your stuff from a Hot Products dealer then.

Or, he could just deliver on time ... ever consider that?

In the software development field, construction, and other "custom" fields, for clients to specifically inserts a clause into contacts that state the project must be completed by X date or there will be a penalty.

10% a week is ridiculous? I commonly work on this same penalty system myself, and you can bet your ass that when I say I'm going deliver, I do ... and I have more happy, repeat customers than 99% of my competition because I'm one of the few who is willing to put my money where my mouth is, and actually deliver!

We asked our pool company to do the same ... 3 of the 5 companies we intereviewed refused, 2 said yes ... and the one we chose delivered, on time, as promised.

Based on what I've seen with other people's pool construction, and seeing it first hand, this isn't common without penalty ... and, since we had our pool completed, we've referred them 5 new clients personally, and who knows how many they're going to refer in.

It's called smart business ... but, I'm guessing you're not a businss owner.

I'm hardly out of business, in fact, it's done just the opposite ... because my clients know I have some skin in the game, they don't worry, don't bug me left and right, and they refer business to me in massive numbers. My business has grown nearly 10x in the past 5 years ...

I didn't realize that creating fiberglass parts was more complex than custom building a house?!?!?!

And, I don't personally have a problem with Jeff, but when it quacks like a duck enough times ... it's a damn duck already. It's not as if one person has complained about the problems with WD ... this has been going on for at least 2 years, if not longer. It's not one person, it's not even on one website.

Finally, to everyone who asked what makes me the "authority", nothing ... just trying to actually put Jeff's feet to the fire and make him answer something with something other than a smart ass remark for once.

He opens a thread basically saying ... let me have it, I'm going to come clean ... and then his first respone ends, "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one".

Great response to anyone wondering how he's managed to dig himself such a hole ...

As for people still owing you money ... I can't say I'm surprised. If I were ordering a custom part from you, and had no idea when it was coming, or even if, and kept seeing post, after post, after post about problems with WD, followed up by numerous people saying that you can't answer the phone ... I wouldn't feel all warm and fuzzy inside about sending payment in advance either.

Gary

Top Bottom