Waterdawg...open Bash Session!!!!

Odd Duck

Jet Vet
it's not that simple sometimes. i'm not trying to defend WD, just saying, i used to answer phones for TLR (Todd Lachance) when i was in between jobs and hanging out at his shop all day.

99.999999% of the calls are "is todd there? can i talk to him?"

when will my bike be ready?
is he working on it today?
when can i call back?
he hasn't called me back in a day or two i want to talk to him now?
has he water tested my boat?
is my suspension done?
i need to talk to him becuase i need jetting recommendations for the motor i just received that he built.
bla
bla
bla
bla

you end up having to go bug the guy anyways.

seriously, think about it, people don't want to hear "hey, he's busy working on someone else's ski/bike, call back later"

just some food for thought because i know how that goes a bit.

Even though you had to go bug the guy, it can still be a time saver for the guy to answer your question vs answering the 3 others that the customer thinks up while he's on the phone with the guy.

I know this because in my business I am "the guy" that everyone goes to and it usually takes less of my time to answer a questions via a technician or receptionist than if I get on the phone directly with the owner of the pet. Often I can answer the questions while doing something else, I don't have to stop what I'm doing, wash my hands, go to the phone, introduce myself, have them explain everything all over again, yada, yada. It obviously won't work for every question, but it works for a lot of questions.

It sounds like Jeff needs a shop manager who's primary job is answering the phone, taking orders (they will often be more realistic with time estimates than an owner once they have a little experience), keep orders IN order so the owner is less likely to jump some orders ahead while neglecting others, shipping, and whatever else the owner needs them to do.

Finding the right person to do all this can be a challenge, but once you have them, things go so much smoother that they will pay for themselves with increased business. You then hire more shop help to make more parts, therefore more money, etc. This is how businesses grow.

Jeff, your business will stagnate and then slowly die if you do not learn how to hire the right people and delegate some of your load. We, as customers and members of the freedride community at large, need your expertize designing, testing and building, not answering phones. Hire someone, please, so we can at least have fewer of these threads.

JMHO, (and I've seen a LOT of clinics that succeed or fail, not based on the doctor's qualifications, but on their business management skills),

Sharon

Y

yamaslut

Waterdawg should be added to the list of Jet Ski topics you don't talk about..

the top 5 list of things we should never discuss:

1. how 11 died and if he's really dead
  2. SFLSurfrider
  3. 24/7 innovations and Magoos
  4. X-2 Cartel
  5. Waterdawg
:popcorn:

W

wydopen

2. SFLSurfrider
  4. X-2 Cartel
  5. Waterdawg

please explain #1?

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !

2. SFLSurfrider
  4. X-2 Cartel
  5. Waterdawg

You should come up with at least 5 more then proceed each one with,Thou shalt not mention,we will deem them the ten x-h2o-mandments

tom21

havin fun
I think as soon as we hear a reply as to why this is happening it will be a non issue, considering that if we are pretty close in our reasoning, there will only be two things happening- it will improve and there will be less of this or it will stay the same and people will just acknowledge that it sucks and its worth the wait or not. if its the latter I would think less and less people will want to wait and it may be the end of it altogether. and no more wd bashing.

tom21

havin fun

2. SFLSurfrider
  4. X-2 Cartel
  5. Waterdawg

what about the rumor you started riding on a sitdown?:27:

You guys and your secret spot. You guard it like you all own it or something?

Doug

We don't own it, but we sure as hell don't want to lose it. It's arguably one of the best if not the best riding spot on the whole east coast and it is completely unregulated. We want it to stay that way. If it is heavily advertised and crowds of couches show up on a regular basis, then we stand to lose it. It's not like you couldn't PM any one of us and get directions....they just aren't for the general public. There are enough wreckless locals on couches; we don't need any commuters coming in.

douglee25

m3booooy
We don't own it, but we sure as hell don't want to lose it. It's arguably one of the best if not the best riding spot on the whole east coast and it is completely unregulated. We want it to stay that way. If it is heavily advertised and crowds of couches show up on a regular basis, then we stand to lose it. It's not like you couldn't PM any one of us and get directions....they just aren't for the general public. There are enough wreckless locals on couches; we don't need any commuters coming in.

The way everyone 'talks' about it, it more or less sounds like it's for the locals only.

Doug

onesojourner

I use a thumb throttle.
here is a list of things that need to happen for WD to be a respected business

1. Give people accurate dates that parts will be shipped.

2. Hire some one to answer the phone and ship(read Odd Duck's post)

The way everyone 'talks' about it, it more or less sounds like it's for the locals only.

Doug

Doug,

Lemme break down in terms you might better understand..... it would be like us plastering all over the net a secret street racing location up here. why don't we do it....a.) because the cops will find out and b.) don't want a bunch of people running around and drawing attention to it...

Top Bottom