Waterdawg...open Bash Session!!!!

Rather_B_SLEDDING

Is it snowing yet?
I've talked to Jeff before---he's one wordy guy himself.

Since Jeff has stated that he has had a hell of a time training employees in composite work, maybe he could hire someone to assist with customer service?!? :dunno:

This will be my last post on this issue..... Where is this persons salary going to come from? Another employee especially one who is not physically making the products is 100% overhead. Where do you think the extra $30,000- $40,000 is going to come from? CUSTOMERS POCKETS! suddenly that $400 hood is $500.

RoyalFlush@PCB

Shootin' The Crap
This will be my last post on this issue..... Where is this persons salary going to come from? Another employee especially one who is not physically making the products is 100% overhead. Where do you think the extra $30,000- $40,000 is going to come from? CUSTOMERS POCKETS! suddenly that $400 hood is $500.

I, for one, am FULLY aware of this---especially since I own my own business.

If Jeff could hire someone to handle the phone calls so that HE could do the composite work/machining work (or at least, very stringent quality control), it might just work out for him. It doesn't seem to be working well for him now.

Something needs to change, IMO. :icon16:

Big Kahuna

Administrator
amen and praise the lord...

Anymore, this site is a bunch of people looking for a reason to whine and cry about ********... It use to not be like this... I'm not sure why things are seeming so bad here now... Maybe it's just me, but it sucks...

Nick, respectfully, go search PWCToday for all the waterdawg threads...... this is nothing new...................

Rather_B_SLEDDING

Is it snowing yet?
LOL---I was thinking the same thing...:wiggle:

Ok I lied, not my last post.... I'm thinkin CDN dollars so it might be skewed but.... answering phones isn't customer service, this person would have to arrange all shipping take all order and organize all customer concerns/ complaints so that the minimal time Jeff does have can be used effectivley. An goon for $8/hr isn't going to help anything. I thought you meant more of a controller than receptionist.

In the business I'm in (custom homes/ reno's) if you don't pay properly people leave, you may save a few bucks on salary but in the end it costs you in time and effort to replace and retrain people when they leave.

Anywyas this is off topic, the point is for REAL CUSTOMERS to get some answers

RoyalFlush@PCB

Shootin' The Crap
it's not that simple sometimes. i'm not trying to defend WD, just saying, i used to answer phones for TLR (Todd Lachance) when i was in between jobs and hanging out at his shop all day.

99.999999% of the calls are "is todd there? can i talk to him?"

when will my bike be ready?
is he working on it today?
when can i call back?
he hasn't called me back in a day or two i want to talk to him now?
has he water tested my boat?
is my suspension done?
i need to talk to him becuase i need jetting recommendations for the motor i just received that he built.
bla
bla
bla
bla

you end up having to go bug the guy anyways.

seriously, think about it, people don't want to hear "hey, he's busy working on someone else's ski/bike, call back later"

just some food for thought because i know how that goes a bit.

Hmmmmm---didn't even think about that, Saki.

It's easier in the plumbing (or any construction) trade, I guess:

"I'm sorry he's not at the shop now, he's in the field...." is a common response.

What if Jeff got a Bluetooth so he could work on composites AND answer the phone?!? :popworm:

Y

yamaslut

Nick, respectfully, go search PWCToday for all the waterdawg threads...... this is nothing new...................

my point is people are searching out negativity and adding to it like never before... it's become and epedemic on this site... We all need to sit back a second and think if our posts are really helping the situation or are you just getting your rocks off by exploiting someones mistake or ignorance... Everyone knows the x-2 guy is stupid... it's like beating up an a retard to keep egging him on, it's not a challenge or a feat to be happy about... whatever, it's just annoying as doughnut

RoyalFlush@PCB

Shootin' The Crap
Ok I lied, not my last post.... I'm thinkin CDN dollars so it might be skewed but.... answering phones isn't customer service, this person would have to arrange all shipping take all order and organize all customer concerns/ complaints so that the minimal time Jeff does have can be used effectivley. An goon for $8/hr isn't going to help anything. I thought you meant more of a controller than receptionist.

In the business I'm in (custom homes/ reno's) if you don't pay properly people leave, you may save a few bucks on salary but in the end it costs you in time and effort to replace and retrain people when they leave.

Anywyas this is off topic, the point is for REAL CUSTOMERS to get some answers

I agree that answering phones is not "customer service" but does it make sense for Jeff to answer ALL the calls? Someone could at least help him weed out the BS calls for $8 an hour. Do a good job at that and you can help with shipping and tracking for $10-$15 an hour, keep kicking ass at your job and I'll give you more responsibility and more $$$.

All I'm saying is it appears time to change a few things about the way WDK conducts business.

RoyalFlush@PCB

Shootin' The Crap
We all need to sit back a second and think if our posts are really helping the situation or are you just getting your rocks off by exploiting someones mistake or ignorance...

I joke about the PVC exhaust thing (it's even funnier since I'm a plumber), but I am sincere when I suggest that some changes might be in order in Jeff's business tactics. I, too, thought that after the Daytona Raffle things were going to be VERY different for WDK, but his business practices don't seem to have changed OR he is completely and utterly overwhelmed and simply cannot keep up with the demand.

As was once said to me, "You can be the best plumber in the world, but it doesn't mean that you know how to run a business."

tom21

havin fun
I doubt there is a easy answer to that particular problem, its not a cookie cutter business. he makes and designs everything, and for quality he has to oversee it all or do most of it himself right? that alone is a lot for one person. most people find a way to delegate all the work and spend their days golfing and whatnot. for him to be able to do that I imagine he would have to design an assembly line type deal and break it all down into little steps that could be easily trained and shoes easily filled, which spreads the whole operation out and makes it huge, which leads to more expense, bottom line is to save money and offer a good value he does everything. I am in the same boat, if I could afford someone who could do what I want - they would have their own business. skill vs money. I can't get enough of both to satisfy my needs so I do it all myself.

Nick- I respect you buddy but check the name of the thread- this is exactly what was asked for. and honestly if Jeff can satisfy all the questions wouldn't it go a long way towards killing most ( cause it won't ever go away completely) of the whining? lets get it out there and off our chests and sorted out and we don't have to deal with it again. asked and answered right?

as was stated before many, many times- it seems the whole problem is delivering the product in a timely fashion. I have zero time and will wait to offer anything until I have it in my hands. and that seemed to work out awesome for the hoods and footholds, right? at some point maybe he can have enough inventory to be ahead instead of behind? not sure if thats affordable but would make the delivery a non issue.

butti

lone wolf
Alright ... I'm going to sum this up, and Jeff, if you're not willing to quote this reply in the thread, and answer the questions point by point, you're digging your own grave.

You asked for this thread, now man up, and answer the questions ... again, I expect this to be quoted, and all questions answered point by point, anything less will be seen as running scared, and will only serve to take a questionable name in this field, and turn it into one that is no longer questionable ... but is surely, and without question, a name to be avoided at all costs.

1. Numerous people have already stated that they've purchased products, only to find it nearly impossible to get you on the phone, via email, or through any other means.

And, before you give us the "'I'm busy" line, that's crap ... there is no business person who can't find the time to take 30 minutes a day to respond to a few emails, or return a few phone calls. So, the question is ... are you avoiding your customers on purpose because you know you're going to disappoint them with dates well beyond those originally promised? Or, do you simply not care one way or another.

And no, there are no other options.

2. Why can you not give your clients, especially those who have already paid for their products, solid delivery dates? And, if those dates will not be met, why are these customers not contacted, IN ADVANCE of these missed dates, with a new date of delivery?

This is the ONLY thing you can do that will come close to beginning to restore your name in this field ... that, coupled with offering clients 10% discounts on the product for each week you miss delivery dates by.

For example, if you sell a hood at $500, and agree on delivery in 5 weeks, the price would be $450 in week 6, $400 in week 7, $350 in week 8, etc ... until the point that you deliver free, and, we'll be keeping tabs on the board.

Clearly, you're accepting too much business out of greed, and all your clients are suffering as a result. Maybe if you have a little skin in the game, you'll give a crap.

3. Why are you unwilling to setup a dedicated "phone time" so that you clients with questions can reach you? If you're busy, as you keep claiming, schedule this time in advance, and post the time you'll be willing to take calls at here on the board, and on your website ...

We'll hold you to it, and if you're unwilling, don't be surprised when you keep seeing people bitching about not being able to get a hold of you.

4. Why did you so obviously avoid answering any specific question in this entire thread? Many asked you specific questions, on specific orders, and you didn't address a single one?

Was this because you knew it'd make you look bad, or because you don't have answers for these people?

Again, I specifically posted, at the top of this thread, that any response that isn't quoted is going to be seen as nothing more than an admission that you're not willing to answer anything specific, and are just going to continue playing your word-spin game with everyone.

So, you willing to man up and answer, or are you going to put your tail between your legs, and run away as has been your history?

It's put up, or shut up time ...

Gary

what parts are you currently waiting on from jeff?

tom21

havin fun
As was once said to me, "You can be the best plumber in the world, but it doesn't mean that you know how to run a business."

that is it exactly- wrenches don't make good suits and vice versa. its rare to see a good tech be a good manager at the same time. its alot to handle. for me anyway. but I am dit di daaa:fest30:

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I have to agree with you Royal Flush.I am a pretty good tech but am not the greatest business owner,I really think Jeff has talent but should strongly consider hiring a bussiness manager to handle the day in and day out stuff that drags down any small business like his.I do know that there is also a fine line in business, having more business than you can handle is sometimes as bad or worse than not having enough business.

butti

lone wolf
I doubt there is a easy answer to that particular problem, its not a cookie cutter business. he makes and designs everything, and for quality he has to oversee it all or do most of it himself right? that alone is a lot for one person. most people find a way to delegate all the work and spend their days golfing and whatnot. for him to be able to do that I imagine he would have to design an assembly line type deal and break it all down into little steps that could be easily trained and shoes easily filled, which spreads the whole operation out and makes it huge, which leads to more expense, bottom line is to save money and offer a good value he does everything. I am in the same boat, if I could afford someone who could do what I want - they would have their own business. skill vs money. I can't get enough of both to satisfy my needs so I do it all myself.

Nick- I respect you buddy but check the name of the thread- this is exactly what was asked for. and honestly if Jeff can satisfy all the questions wouldn't it go a long way towards killing most ( cause it won't ever go away completely) of the whining? lets get it out there and off our chests and sorted out and we don't have to deal with it again. asked and answered right?

as was stated before many, many times- it seems the whole problem is delivering the product in a timely fashion. I have zero time and will wait to offer anything until I have it in my hands. and that seemed to work out awesome for the hoods and footholds, right? at some point maybe he can have enough inventory to be ahead instead of behind? not sure if thats affordable but would make the delivery a non issue.

i beleive jeff is working on bringing "inventory" to havasu

RoyalFlush@PCB

Shootin' The Crap
I have to agree with you Royal Flush.I am a pretty good tech but am not the greatest business owner,I really think Jeff has talent but should strongly consider hiring a bussiness manager to handle the day in and day out stuff that drags down any small business like his.I do know that there is also a fine line in business, having more business than you can handle is sometimes as bad or worse than not having enough business.

I think that most product or service business owners that charge by the hour could benefit from this:

http://www.grandyassociates.com/laborpricing.asp

It even has a section for "piece" work that could benefit someone who manufactures their own products to sell.

It sure helped me back in 2000 when I first bought it. In fact, I was shocked at what I was charging considering what the program calculated that I should be charging in order to pay my bills and remain profitable.

This program (there are MANY more like it on the market) requires you to input ALL of your expenses and will calculate your hourly rate based on your expenses and your BILLABLE hours versus NON-BILLABLE hours worked.

douglee25

m3booooy
I think that most product or service business owners that charge by the hour could benefit from this:

http://www.grandyassociates.com/laborpricing.asp

It even has a section for "piece" work that could benefit someone who manufactures their own products to sell.

It sure helped me back in 2000 when I first bought it. In fact, I was shocked at what I was charging considering what the program calculated that I should be charging in order to pay my bills and remain profitable.

This program (there are MANY more like it on the market) requires you to input ALL of your expenses and will calculate your hourly rate based on your expenses and your BILLABLE hours versus NON-BILLABLE hours worked.

Keep in mind, your calculator is only as good as what the market will bear.

Doug

Top Bottom