What’s the biggest surf you’ve ever ridden in?

Its all about the surf!
With the other thread going crazy with Drama, I thought I’d start a new one. Remember no ones going to believe outlandish claims not backed with a picture so be honest.

The biggest I’ve ever ridden was about double overhead which is not quite 20’ so I’m going to say about 18’

Last edited:

Rickster

Matakana Menace
With the other thread going crazy with Drama, I thought I’d start a new one. Remember no ones going to believe outlandish claims not backed with a picture so be honest.

The biggest I’ve ever ridden was about double overhead with is not quite 20’ so I’m going to say about 18’

Ski or board?

Board would be 8' surf at Muriwai New Zealand, and got my arse kicked...

Ski would be at Sebastian two weeks ago with consistent 5' and the occasional overhead ~8' surf rolling in. The large waves scared the shiat out of me.

:crying:

solid 20ft in Oregon and I wouldn't call it riding, more like running...

for proof call John @ Blowsion he was there.... Darin lost the "clap trap" ski and found it a mile down the beach about an hour later. TEEEEEE was there too.... I had been riding standups for about 2 months and was freaking out...

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
Hurricane Bill at the secret spot... some of the larger sets were 13' +/- (I am guessing)

The bigger stuff was too big for me to do anything other than "experience it" (just awesome).

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Now Matt E I know you have ridden on 20 foot waves and anybody that rode @ the Blowsion surf slam the day they canceled rode 20 foot waves.

If you say so....you got more experience than me estimating those sizes.
I don't want to over-estimate and look like a noob. :biggrin:

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
10-12' maybe and really close together, it was just survival mode really with some jumps/stabs on the smaller ones that had enough smooth water to get a run at.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Hurricane Bill at the secret spot... some of the larger sets were 13' +/- (I am guessing)

The bigger stuff was too big for me to do anything other than "experience it" (just awesome).
On a ski, x2

On a board 15-17, but I mostly saw it from underneath. (Kaena Point, Oahu Summer 1987)
BTW: Today at Kaena Point swell 51' , surf 36'

Last edited:

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
Don't forget, if you go to Hawaii cut your size estimate in 1/2. A good 2-3' day over there was really nice to ride and that's what we had most of the time, 3-5' was getting big.

it was probably larger than that... I have seen a solid 15ft+ during hurricane swell. The biggest I have seen on this coast was about 18ft, but lets not pretend that is anything like an 18ft wave on the west coast... totally different and way slower

R

ridethelip

for me beyond 5-7 is where the surf riding stops and the running away starts.

Fro Diesel

creative control
messy 12-14ft in lake Michigan. Superjetdave and i were out there for only a couple of hours, but what transpired helped me to not feel so bad about selling my ski. After almost being thrown into a pier that was fenced up with barbed wire.....with my riding buddy no where in sight....i was ready to sell the ski and move on.

It was really cool to surf the waves though, on my ski. And look back to see the wave atleast double overhead.

Maybe once the school debt is paid off I will get another ski.

I know that these lake waves are nothing like the ocean waves (from my experiences in Daytona and Destin) but when you get held under for three or four sets crashing on you ski, being ripped from your hands, and then hitting bottom only to find your ski when it is smashed into the back of your neck....its necessary to respect their power.

Last edited:

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
it was probably larger than that... I have seen a solid 15ft+ during hurricane swell. The biggest I have seen on this coast was about 18ft, but lets not pretend that is anything like an 18ft wave on the west coast... totally different and way slower

I am sure it was... didn't want to "over estimate". Oldtimer (Bill?) said it was as big as he as ever seen there.

Been to Hawaii (nowhere special) but you can feel the power difference, even in 1-2'.

Top Bottom