What’s the biggest surf you’ve ever ridden in?

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
I've ridden 10-12' in the gulf during hurricanes. It was more surviving than surf/trick riding though.

Hurricane Andrew was by far the best Gulf riding I ever had... 5-7 @ 12+ seconds. Too bad it was 9:00 at night so I could not stay out too long.

Its all about the surf!
.......The biggest I have seen on this coast was about 18ft, but lets not pretend that is anything like an 18ft wave on the west coast... totally different and way slower

I’m pretty sure 18’ WC is probably the same as 18’foot EC. Both can kill you. The one time in my life I caught it that big it I had the fear of god in me! We rarely get anything in the 12-15’ range let alone 18’ and I’ve never even seen 20’+. So Cals advantage in surf is consistency not size as on average we get surf in the 2-4’ may be 300 days a year The Pismo crew and Orgon crews usually get the big surf

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
How big was the surf on Saturday last year at Daytona? That's the only and biggest I've rode. I swear it seemed I was 20ft up in the air a few times.

messy 12-14ft in lake Michigan. Superjetdave and i were out there for only a couple of hours, but what transpired helped me to not feel so bad about selling my ski. After almost being thrown into a pier that was fenced up with barbed wire.....with my riding buddy no where in sight....i was ready to sell the ski and move on.

It was really cool to surf the waves though, on my ski. And look back to see the wave atleast double overhead.

Maybe once the school debt is paid off I will get another ski.

I know that these lake waves are nothing like the ocean waves (from my experiences in Daytona and Destin) but when you get held under for three or four sets crashing on you ski, being ripped from your hands, and then hitting bottom only to find your ski when it is smashed into the back of your neck....its necessary to respect their power.

Don't underestimate the power of Lake Michigan waves. The whitewater pummels you harder and holds you under longer than anywhere else I have ridden.
Monstersj and I rode 12-14' out there last year. Probably more scary than fun, but still cool to experience.

I’m pretty sure 18’ WC is probably the same as 18’foot EC. Both can kill you. The one time in my life I caught it that big it I had the fear of god in me! We rarely get anything in the 12-15’ range let alone 18’ and I’ve never even seen 20’+. So Cals advantage in surf is consistency not size as on average we get surf in the 2-4’ may be 300 days a year The Pismo crew and Orgon crews usually get the big surf

your guys waves move so much faster and have way more punch... at least the places I have been... Daytona will pump and dump, but it's really rare to get waves w/ lots of power. Our sea floor slopes out so gradually that it robs a lot of the power from the wave before it gets here, unlike places on the west coast where it's deep and all of the sudden there is a shelf to dump on... Lots of power released all at once instead of over a long distance...

Frosty

New York Crew
been out in 12 - 15 footers on lake erie... very sloppy, but big none-the-less. What sucks is the 50mph winds needed to get them that big. Makes riding much more difficult, esp when it's raining or uhem... snowing.

also riddin 10 - 12's while living in Mobile, AL... ahead of a tropical storm coming in. that was a blast...

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
The first half of this video is the biggest I have ridden, there wasnt too much jumping cause it scared the :):):):) out of me and I was sick that week.

Looks like double overhead at some parts

Last edited by a moderator:

WAB

salty nuts
Biggiest I have seen and rode in was in Ponce Inlet several years ago in Sept. Maybe 2005? You could have put a 3 story home in between the waves and not seen the roof.

Nick & Johnny 'Suicide' Havell were there as well as others. It was just crazy big that day.

Hurricane Bill was a big day also. All you can do is really ride around NEAR the waves and watch the incredible natural forces at work......and hope you don't get munched.

Biggiest I have seen and rode in was in Ponce Inlet several years ago in Sept. Maybe 2005? You could have put a 3 story home in between the waves and not seen the roof.

Nick & Johnny 'Suicide' Havell were there as well as others. It was just crazy big that day.

Hurricane Bill was a big day also. All you can do is really ride around NEAR the waves and watch the incredible natural forces at work......and hope you don't get munched.

yeah... it was august 2005.. that was the biggest flips I have ever done that day... Havell and I were going crazy

Mark44

Katie's Boss
Katie and I went to Sayulita Mexico to go surfing and they were calling for 10-12’ surf. When we got there we had 2’ surf on top of razor sharp coral.

Mark44

tightithrash

Zack Bright. I Thrash.
Site Supporter
Whatever accurate description of the surf at surf slam when I was running around trying not to get swallowed... again

shut up and fix your motor AGAIN:sad6:

i surfed 8-10 with occasional 12 and i almost drowned........that was so freaking gnar.....quite quite quite......swoooooooooooshhhhhh BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

biggest ive rode my ski was Oregon. and poop my last heat i did the whole thing on 1 cylinder:wave:

R

ridethelip

Big enough to run the Eddie?

Yesterday during the final day of the sunset triple crown they said a swell was coming.
Aloha, this is Kekoa with the report for Monday morning at 7:30 AM.
SURF:
30-40 ft.
6-8 times overhead with occasional 45 ft.
and poor to fair conditions.

**The Eddie Aikau is OFF for today at Waimea Bay.**

This Morning's Surf Report:Massive new swell with unfavorable north wind onshore conditions this morning. Most spots have surf heights in the whopping 35 to 40 foot face value range with some sets topping off at 50 feet. The outer reefs are seeing some larger sets as well so use extreme caution if you are entering the water today. Light north winds are making for ugly/broken conditions for country shorelines today.

Yesterday during the final day of the sunset triple crown they said a swell was coming.
Aloha, this is Kekoa with the report for Monday morning at 7:30 AM.
SURF:
30-40 ft.
6-8 times overhead with occasional 45 ft.
and poor to fair conditions.

**The Eddie Aikau is OFF for today at Waimea Bay.**

This Morning's Surf Report:Massive new swell with unfavorable north wind onshore conditions this morning. Most spots have surf heights in the whopping 35 to 40 foot face value range with some sets topping off at 50 feet. The outer reefs are seeing some larger sets as well so use extreme caution if you are entering the water today. Light north winds are making for ugly/broken conditions for country shorelines today.

where's Matt??? hit it up bro!!!!

I'll be watching from my computer...

Top Bottom