Other What did you fab up today? A thread for the home fabricators!

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
The wife was preoccupied watching Nascar on Sunday so I slipped out to the garage and calmed my OCD by finally finishing the expansion of my organizer rack.

It started off with 5 trays stacked on a shelf, then grew to 10 trays in a wooden rack and has now evolved to 15 trays with their own dedicated shelf. At this rate it should be a dedicated wall rivaling the likes of Ace Hardware within 5 years.

IMG_5390.JPG

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
Labels are for people who don't where things are. ;)
Haha thats why I don't clean up. If I clean up I don't know where i put things something. But I almost always remember the last project that tool was used on and sure enough 100% of the time it'll be right there where I left it

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
You just turned that wrench and set it down next to the job, so you thought. Did it fall to the ground? Did it fall into the job? No, you didnt hear it fall. Maybe its in the house, just got water. Not near the sink, not near the cabinet. Maybe the bathroom? No, not there. The phone rang, maybe you left it in that room. No, not there either. Oh, maybe you set it on the ground by the job. Not there either, so frustrating. Could you have been silly and put it IN the fridge? Go check, not there. Maybe you washed your hands after using the bathroom, now that wouod be strange, but you could have set it next to the sink. Nope, not there, mist not ahave washed your hands after all. Oh wait, now you remember, you definitely sat it on the ground, and ypu must have kicked it on accident. Now your wondering around the yard, now into the street, still no luck. You check all the same rooms again, 3 more times each, 4 in the kitchen, under things, on top of things, inside things you havent even opened in months. Where could it be...

You check the tool chest, and thee it is, nice and neat between the 9mm and 11mm, just whre it belongs. All that zearching for no reason, a complete waste.

You could remind yourself to always put things right back whre they belong, and check there first, but youre a mechanic, and that means youre a glutton for punishment, so instead of being reasonable, you swear youll never put things back whee they belong, because that will avoid this problem of not finding it somewhere else sooner.

And youll be successful following through on this, just like that time you swore not to wash your hands, because last time you lost a wrench it was next to the sink. But you looked next to the sink anyway, because youre a mechanic, and you do stupid shi like this all the time.

You just turned that wrench and set it down next to the job, so you thought. Did it fall to the ground? Did it fall into the job? No, you didnt hear it fall. Maybe its in the house, just got water. Not near the sink, not near the cabinet. Maybe the bathroom? No, not there. The phone rang, maybe you left it in that room. No, not there either. Oh, maybe you set it on the ground by the job. Not there either, so frustrating. Could you have been silly and put it IN the fridge? Go check, not there. Maybe you washed your hands after using the bathroom, now that wouod be strange, but you could have set it next to the sink. Nope, not there, mist not ahave washed your hands after all. Oh wait, now you remember, you definitely sat it on the ground, and ypu must have kicked it on accident. Now your wondering around the yard, now into the street, still no luck. You check all the same rooms again, 3 more times each, 4 in the kitchen, under things, on top of things, inside things you havent even opened in months. Where could it be...

You check the tool chest, and thee it is, nice and neat between the 9mm and 11mm, just whre it belongs. All that zearching for no reason, a complete waste.

You could remind yourself to always put things right back whre they belong, and check there first, but youre a mechanic, and that means youre a glutton for punishment, so instead of being reasonable, you swear youll never put things back whee they belong, because that will avoid this problem of not finding it somewhere else sooner.

And youll be successful following through on this, just like that time you swore not to wash your hands, because last time you lost a wrench it was next to the sink. But you looked next to the sink anyway, because youre a mechanic, and you do stupid shi like this all the time.

It's actually worse for me when I start to get tired. The next day I'll find 3 of the same allen wrenchs where I was working the day before. Most of the time if I can't find it in a timely fashion, I'll just go get another one. Now at work it's a completely different story, all tools are very well organized.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
It's actually worse for me when I start to get tired. The next day I'll find 3 of the same allen wrenchs where I was working the day before. Most of the time if I can't find it in a timely fashion, I'll just go get another one. Now at work it's a completely different story, all tools are very well organized.

1e592f52c863c1994cab03416f3a100e8e10cf78d712b97ea7c06161a9b106df_1.jpg

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
That's pretty much how it is for me. I'll spend an hour or two looking for something in the mess and just get more and more pissed off. Usually I just stop and clean up but if a tray can be bought, shelf built, dedicated spot created, I'll do it. I am constantly redesigning and reworking my workspace.

I lost a single 10mm wrench over 7 years ago and still keep an eye out for it. I recently lost a special wrench for the Mill spindle and a 1/4" socket adapter for the cordless drill and it's pissing me off to no end. I was positive they got sucked up in the shop vac but I cut the bag open and they were not in there.

I have multiples of everything so it's more about solving the mystery than anything. I will spend an hour looking for something and never consider just grabbing another from the toolbox.

Thanks guys. Yes, it's all titanium (except for the inserts and the stainless bushing mounts). That pole weighs 7lbs at 37". It is excessively heavy due to how the tubes were formed and the ID on the body pieces. I'm having a set of clamshell molds machined for bladder assisted resin infusion so that the tubes can be formed on the OD instead of forming them on an HDPE rod and then 20 hours of work and extra weight to get the OD smooth (current process). We're playing with some different core materials with a lower resin saturation than the soric LRC used on the prototype. All of that said, I expect the production units to be around 5lbs at 37" and 4lbs at 24".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom