What did you wrench on today?

Myself

manic mechanic
There is a similar thread on another forum that I'm on and it's neat just to see pics or read about what everybody worked on!
Today I had the joy of removing the pump, ride plate, intake grate, shoe, and pump support plate from a Seadoo GSX rfi, so I could clean it all up and reseal everything due to a leak.
I also showered my main bay in the shop with oil droplets EVERYWHERE. I went to do a compression check on another 'DOO that had been sitting for over a year and I cranked it over with the plugs out...........SPLOOSH!! Oil filled crankcase and it just spit and splashed.
And I even managed to put new starter solenoids in a pair of XLT1200 Yamahas!!

Big Kahuna

Administrator
There is a similar thread on another forum that I'm on and it's neat just to see pics or read about what everybody worked on!
Today I had the joy of removing the pump, ride plate, intake grate, shoe, and pump support plate from a Seadoo GSX rfi, so I could clean it all up and reseal everything due to a leak.
I also showered my main bay in the shop with oil droplets EVERYWHERE. I went to do a compression check on another 'DOO that had been sitting for over a year and I cranked it over with the plugs out...........SPLOOSH!! Oil filled crankcase and it just spit and splashed.
Guess you forgot to put a towel over the cylinder!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL.... Couple years ago I got roped into rebuilding a GPR1200. Had water leaking in, fixed that, took it to water test and give back to the guy, in process it lost compression on rear cylinder. Agreed to rebuild it for him. Found all kind of effed up mess in it. replaced dryrotted oil injection lines, etc etc...... Even patched his trailer bunks that were rotted. Just scabbed on a 2x4 up under. (Mounting tabs are always to far apart causing the 2x's to sag and crack).. In process of all this my Dad passed away. (Told guy it would not be a quick turn around). He starts bitching about the price. I cut them a deal, there was another couple that owned this ski that I am friends with. He accused me of breaking the 2x4. Had to explain to him that they get wet, they rot........... Anyway, he goes on. Few weeks later he text, "There is an alarm going off"....... At this point, I am like "Dont know what to tell you"... 6 months later best friend calls and says "hey, I got this 1200 at my house, Buttwipe (cannot remember name now) said it stopped running and would not crank over..... I said I would stop by but would not work on it. Get there, I said did you pull the plugs and check compression? We pull plugs, he goes to spin over, (I did put a rag down over plug holes), Water and fuel oil mixture goes blasting everywhere....... I started walking off "He sunk the ski, no dealing with idiots!"

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
These POS skis , as you can see they haven't been tagged since 1999 , why people think you can just clean the carbs , throw in some new batteries and gas and the skis will run perfectly again after sitting this long is beyond my comprehension, it doesn't work that way !

On the XLT 800 someone disconnected the oil lines and left the pump on the engine , the oil in the tank and didn't even cap the line off just zip tied it up ,cleaned the carbs and tank out, put an oil pump block off on it drained the oil tank , replaced the broken nut on the fuel selector and water tested it, that ski is done water tested and ready to roll .

I am still battling with the Waveventure 701 , all kinds of funky stuff going on with that ski , gas cap , oil cap and fuel filler neck looked like a beaver chewed them up , fuel selector valve nut broken , yellow zip ties everywhere , a true sign that a backyard hack worked on the ski last , fuel filter dangling by the hoses and the inlet line to the carb was sucking air at the filter , I repaired all that stuff and I almost have it licked just have to water test it again.

Attachments

• image000000 - 2024-06-26T091135.631.jpg
    image000000 - 2024-06-26T091135.631.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 19
  • image000000 - 2024-06-26T091140.812.jpg
    image000000 - 2024-06-26T091140.812.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

WFO Speedracer

Noithin like a good oil bath to start off your day !

Myself

manic mechanic
Today I replaced some fuel lines and wiring on a Polaris MSX140. Owner sunk it, then started cranking out water without unhooking fuel pump or coils.........small fire. Also fired up an old Seadoo GTS after fixing a corroded fuse. Then I removed and tore apart a jet pump from a Seadoo Wake. Looks like the front seal had seen better days and allowed water into the pump. Owner never mentioned that at all......I heard a faint whine on the test ride trying to figure out a steering issue which is the OPAS system not working right.......cause the whole OPAS system is a worthless pile of garbage so I'm deleting all of it! And got farther behind cause I had SIX more dropped off today!!!

WFO Speedracer

I have pretty much intentionally done everything possible to slow my business down, moved locations , learned to say hell no I don't work on those , told customers I was backed up six weeks , you name it, I still want to do the work but #1 , I don't want to work on junk , # 2, I don't want the headaches and hassles anymore and #3, I want time to work on and actually ride my personal skis and repair my collection of sales ski projects.

So far I have had mixed results because despite my best intentions people just keep on bringing me stuff.

I don't take on skis past the two week mark till the 4th, if you have waited that late you can wait just a little longer , a failure to plan ahead on your part does not make it an emergency on my part, I fully intend to take off the 4th , 5th, 6th and 7th this year , you know like the rest of the damned world does !

Last edited:

WFO Speedracer

Sometimes this job is great and sometimes it flat out sucks , the Waveventure had an issue with falling on it's face when running wide open , I found a bad check valve in the fuel pump and a bad clear diaphragm also , I also replaced the fuel filter , checked the fuel selector , the one way check valve and the fuel pickups.

This morning I water tested it, it ran great for a few minutes then the same thing again , I am like WTH !

F6e85lP.jpeg

So I pulled it out , took it to the gas station and put 4 more gallons in it, on the back to the ramp the bottom drops out of the sky , so I am sitting at the ramp for like 20 minutes , it finally lets off enough so I can see to back the ski in and I just said F it I am going for it.

Of course it had to be tested wide open , so I am going wide open in the rain getting pelted and looking with my right eye through a slit made by my left hand over my face, whoever said this job wasn't exciting lied.

giinZIw.jpeg

Myself

manic mechanic
I straightened out this jet pump today.......

Attachments

• IMG_2929.JPG
    IMG_2929.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2930.JPG
    IMG_2930.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2931.JPG
    IMG_2931.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 24

Myself

manic mechanic
Today I checked out a 1996 SEadoo GTX for a 30ish year old guy with wife and 3 small kids. Showed up last week in an older truck with no air conditioning and it was HOT outside. Poor guy gave $2500 for it and it didn't run long and then wouldn't re-start. Also had to jam his leg up against the reverse lever cause it kept kicking back. Well, reverse lever kept moving cause the jet pump is not bolted in.....NOPE, not one nut on any of the 4 studs holding it on! Then I crank it over to do a compression check and I can hear a thrashy sort of noise along with ticking loose ball bearings after I quit cranking........Crank bearings are shot!
Also checked out a Yamaha XL800 for a girl that just bought it too. Ran it out on the water and it died a couple times and wouldn't restart. Low compression in the rear cylinder and the thing has 599 hours on it!!
Man, people are just getting took on these things left and right.

WFO Speedracer

I keep telling these people for $100 I will check a ski out for you let you know whats up with it and save you a lot of money and headaches , no one listens anymore.

The two I have here are completed, I don't work as fast as you do lol , anyway the guys asked me if he should keep these two that he is complaining abut the $1000 bill on or sell them and buy a 2007 supercharged GTX he found for $6000 , I am like whoa first off that's way too high for a 07 secondly how much are you going to ride and where , he says 4 or 5 times a year on the river.

I plainly told him that he better keep what he has , four strokes get really expensive when you let them sit up like he has these two skis and that he couldn't just run a GTX doing zero maintaince , run it till it stopped and get someone to fix it and it all be good , there are oil changes , winterizations and Summarizations that have to be done and the ski has a 100 hours on it , that means it's due for a $1000 supercharger rebuild right now and most likely a new Battery, oil change, spark plugs and a wear ring in the jet pump, so now you are into an almost 20 year old ski for over $7000 , no thank you.

The crazy part is I am asking $2300 on this GTI I just finished and no one is biting on it here yet, that's $2300 for a ski that has been thoroughly gone through , new battery, replacement engine, wear ring, fuel lines, carb rebuilt , new upholstery and paint , its water tested , registered and everything works on it , plus it looks damned good to boot.

Last edited:

WFO Speedracer

GTI sold for $2300 Sunday afternoon , working on this Yamaha XLT800 they ran out of oil and smoked the rear cylinder on now.

While I was in there I checked out the power valve on the front cylinder, I pushed it up by hand and the linkage didn't move , Pulled it apart and the pin had come out so I replaced the power valve , cleaned everything up and installed closed end lever links so if the pin does come get loose again it's trapped and it can't come out.

Yamaha really screwed the pooch when they designed this power valve system , I bet this was running really well with only one power valve working , the only thing that saved his a$$ is that the power valve was stuck, otherwise it would have dropped and wrecked everything.

Attachments

• image000000 - 2024-07-02T134248.578.jpg
    image000000 - 2024-07-02T134248.578.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 13
  • image000000 - 2024-07-02T134243.120.jpg
    image000000 - 2024-07-02T134243.120.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 11
  • image000000 - 2024-07-02T134237.287.jpg
    image000000 - 2024-07-02T134237.287.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 11
  • image000000 - 2024-07-02T134229.158.jpg
    image000000 - 2024-07-02T134229.158.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Myself

manic mechanic
I checked out an old Kawi SS with an oil leak.
I did all the basic checks on an RXT and found it's burning coolant in the rear cylinder, bad head gasket.
Checked out a VX Cruiser that I can't find anything wrong with, just came back from a perfect water test. Customer stated they had 2 exactly the same. Starting to wonder if they brought the wrong one.
And after dinner I'm going BACK down to my shop to do sensor testing on a turbo Honda. I had Gen-Tune test the ECU and it's good.
And I had 4 more dropped off today, there are 28 trailers sitting in my yard!!

WFO Speedracer

@WFO Speedracer ......I think I have a good 800 cylinder and piston around here.
I had everything here except for an exhaust gasket , it's ok though I had a 1200 gasket and tin snips which means I have 800 exhaust gaskets lol.

Other than putting gas and a battery back in it , it's done , I will probably fire it off today and water test it tomorrow , then I am done for the week.

My goal next year is to take the ENTIRE week of the 4th off, I haven't done it since I started this some 25 years ago..

I cut them off two weeks before the 4th if it's not here by then they are waiting till after the 4th , I am a mechanic not a magician lol.

WFO Speedracer

Battery is in , it fired up , it sounds good and the oil pump is working so it should be good to go tomorrow afternoon so they can tear it up on the 4th ,, have a happy 4th !

holygoat

Site Supporter
I did boring busy work on my ski. Rushing to get out, hoping I have enough 5200 to carry me through the season before I can do the proper glasswork come November.13DE4470-4F79-444C-A3F6-FD32968037FD.jpeg

She's rougb but she's a solid ski! And no, I don't know what the adjustable was for.

Top Bottom