What did you wrench on today?

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Push pump has 3 pilot holes on a raised boss for cooling line placement. Turns out if you use the center one with larger push to connect fittings it interferes with the steering cable. Oops! Time to get back to drill and tappin!
20240707_132001.jpg

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Working on my stuff this week, finally !

I took the STS 750 out yesterday afternoon and the trim isn't working , very common on Kawi trim systems , I decided to tear into and see whats up , Checked the fuse all good, checked power going to trim motor all good , that just leaves the trim motor. Trust me I have seen way worse looking trim boxes than this on Kawis, this is one of the cleaner ones.

Fixes on these trim motors are iffy at best but what the hell I say 50/50 , pulled the armature cover off and the magnets had come unglued, , so when you try to rotate the motor the magnets lock it up , so I roughed it up with sandpaper mixed up some JB WELD and glued them back in place .

To hold the magnets and squeeze out as much epoxy as possible I found a socket that just fit in between the magnets, then I used a business card to take up the slack, using the vise grips I rotated the socket , the card overlaps slightly so when you rotate it it tightens against the magnets , to get it loose just rotate it the other way, we will see if it works tomorrow.

If not it appears to be the same as the Seadoo trim motors and I am sure there is a cover with magnets I can rob off of a dead motor here. I will of course clean up the sheet metal parts and give them a coat of paint before I reassemble the motor and I will regrease the gear assembly.

Attachments

• image000000 - 2024-07-08T110811.795.jpg
    image000000 - 2024-07-08T110811.795.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 19
  • image000000 - 2024-07-08T110817.363.jpg
    image000000 - 2024-07-08T110817.363.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 15
  • image000000 - 2024-07-08T110821.895.jpg
    image000000 - 2024-07-08T110821.895.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 12

Myself

manic mechanic
I have glued them back with JB Weld just as you did. They work just fine afterwards. Let me know if not,.....I have an STS sitting here with trim.

WFO Speedracer

STS 750 trim is back together and working , trime gauge works, gas gauge works it took a minute but I got it .

Now all I need is the correct igniter with a grey wire so the tach will work .

Myself

manic mechanic
Today I checked a bunch of stuff out on a turbo Aquatrax that won't run right.
Rebuilt a set of carbs for a Seadoo 951.
And broke the snout off a starter in the front housing on a Polaris MSX140.

Myself

manic mechanic
Jeez....these 10+ hour days trying to catch up are wearing on me. Water testing AFTER we close, dinner after 8PM..... My wife is now telling people that call that we're not taking any more in right now. I am about 3+ weeks out and SOMEBODY has to move and mow around all these! Pics are actually from Wednesday, there's 5 more here now not in the pics!

Attachments

• IMG_2938.JPG
    IMG_2938.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2939.JPG
    IMG_2939.JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2940.JPG
    IMG_2940.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 22

WFO Speedracer

I backed way off , like I said earlier I did everything I could possibly do to slow this business down , I tell them up front if you are in a hurry and want it before three weeks I am not your guy , if you want it done right leave it and I will call you when it is done , I have been doing this a long, long time, three weeks gives you enough time to tear it down, inspect it , order parts , get cylinders bored , whatever and get it back together.

I have it now where I fix a couple each of ski week and a few come in each week , this week two left , today I make one trip up to the shop , two are coming in , I am meeting one guy to program a lanyard and I have to go look at one I might purchase if it checks out . It creates a lot more free time to work on flip skis and sell them which IMO makes a lot more money than wrenching .

I took some really good advice off of the internet , yeah I know right , who would have thought it ?

The advice was simple , if you have way more work than you can possibly do, you are not charging enough , raise your rates , double them if you have to .

Now I know what you are thinking, if I do that I will lose half my customers , that is correct , but you would still make the same amount of money and you would have twice as much time to pursue other business like flipping skis , the best part is most of the junk skis , they go away immediately , you are no longer supporting their junk jet ski habit , you can now pick and choose what you want to work on and you only have to deal with half as many people..

WIN , WIN , WIN !

Myself

manic mechanic
I rehabbed a Seadoo GSX fuel system, and resealed the ride plate and pump shoe.
I fixed the broken filler neck on my 550
I powerwashed out the bilges in a couple skis that had oil all in them.
And I told some customers how to operate THEIR OWN jet skis!

Myself

manic mechanic
Today I finished putting a new fuel pump in an Ultra 130 Di........what a HUGE pain in the hiney!!
I checked out a Seadoo GTX Di that another shop had rebuilt and the owner only rode for about 3 hours until it messed up. Well.......red flags EVERYWHERE, and a total HACK JOB! Oh,.....and it's locked up!
Went over a 2014 Ultra LX to see what's needed to get it running. It's been sitting for 10 years and has 3 hours on it! Yes, ONLY 3 HOURS!! After siphoning and adding fresh fuel (the old stuff wasn't awful, MUST have been treated), checking out hoses, plugs, pump, and lubing the cylinders, I fired it off. The injectors were a bit sticky but started hitting on all 4 after a few seconds.....BUT it had a metal tapping noise up top. I'm pretty sure it's a stuck or sticking valve. I layed the penetrating lube to the throttle body heavily at idle 'til it started choking down then shut it off. Hoping that might set it straight when I try running it on the hose tomorrow.

I finally replaced my old CATS setup with a 65v reduction nozzle/ trim ring and an fx140ho steering noozle i had found NOS on ebay. Im suprised how much more throw it has. Rode it for a bit today and i like the +5 degree nozzle so far. With a d cut extended rideplate it seems perfect.

Attachments

• 20240801_120822.jpg
    20240801_120822.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 14

WFO Speedracer

Looked at that possible Seadoo GTX 4 Tec SC purchase , I robbed the fuel pump out of my ski and a set of injectors off of another ski , injectors on this one looked nasty they are rusted and have busted the plastic casing around the metal part of the injectors , I finally put together a decent looking set , it ran but only on one cylinder, swapped out the fuel for fresh 92 octane fuel, new plugs and fully charged the battery , checked the compression all good , took the injectors hooked them intermittently to a battery while spraying carb cleaner through them , they appeared to be ok, reinstalled them , it did the same thing , I checked spark on each cylinder it had it , so now I am starting to get irritated , I swapped out the coil packs off another ski and voila running on three cylinders.

So on one ski , two bad coil packs, three fouled plugs, a bad fuel pump and three bad injectors , the hood is busted, the multigauge is dead , it has minor trim pieces missing, the seats need recovering and the whole thing needs to be sanded and buffed and new graphics and it needs a battery and probably a new wear ring and possibly OPAS seals or an Opas delete , I don't know the hours on the ski because the gauge is toasted , this is a Winter project for sure .

I am going to offer $500.00 and see if he bites , it doesn't come with a trailer either , under no circumstances am I telling this cheap basstid that I got the ski running , nothing comes for free , you get what you pay for , doesn't matter anyway , for him the ski is not fixable once you figure parts and labor , I figure around $1300.00 in parts alone , that's not including the hood, trim pieces and recovering the seats add another $400.00 for that stuff , for me since I have pretty much all of the parts here already it is defiantly fixable .

My repair estimate would be around $2000.00 - $2500.00 on this ski and that's just quickly figuring it up in my head, I am sure I probably missed some thing there ., the guy didn't want to pay me $300.00 to put a fuel pump in it . I am really wondering what he expected after the ski sat for five years or more , I am a technician not a magician.

Top Bottom