what job should i go for?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
jetski forum webmaster, I make $1/post off you guys.

come on, only $521 today, get to posting slackers!

Don't expect to be doing the same thing after 20 or even 10 years. I went in the Navy as an electrician on a nuke sub, got out and did maintenance electrician stuff for 3 years, moved on to automation programmer for 4-5 years then IT for the past 6 or so.

Wire biter on a nuke sub? :lmao:

I work with a few of those guys, plus some ex-RO's, welders, and other Navy nuke crazies.
Those people are ..... different.
Rickover set up a special branch of the Navy.

OP: Find out what you would LIKE to do.
Learn to manage your money, or the lack of it will always manage you. No matter how much you make, if you don't manage your money well, you will ALWAYS be broke.

Last edited:
My 29yr old cousin is the senior engineer at Correct Craft (Ski Nautiques), because of the recession he spends 6 hrs a day in the office and 6 hrs a day on the lake with other professional wakeboarders (he is a semi-pro wakeboarder as well). I personally am going for Mechanical Engineering and have 4 years an another 1-2 left (don't procrastinate like me) and hopefully going into renewable energy where starting salary is ~$45k/yr. If you would like to learn more about being financially well-off I'd suggest you but 2 books: The Millionaire Next Door and Rich Dad Poor Dad. Also don't blow your money on stupid chit like dvds and eating out, that could add up to a factory pipe quick....

Get a 4 year degree in Construction Project Management. If you want to fast track yourself to 100K/year, go to University of Alaska, Anchorage. Cheap college to go to and after a year you will become a resident and be paid to live in Alaska. Alaska has no recession really, and some big projects are starting up. When the gas pipeline starts up in a few years even the lowest pipeline jobs will be paying 100K a year.

Just for info on how much money you'll be making, last year I interned at Kensington Gold Mine and made 1700$/week after taxes. Alaska doesn't have income tax so it's nice.

The downsides? Not as many hot chicks up here :(

I just went to my college today to register for my freshman classes for a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Motor Sports Engineering and have no idea what kind of job to look for. Hopefully I'll find my calling in the next 4-5 years.

Healthcare is totally socialized here in Canada. Demand for nurses is off the chart. My mother wants to retire but can't because the money is so damn good - she routinely gets called in for a double overtime shifts. Sometimes triple overtime.

Last edited:

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
Also don't blow your money on stupid chit like dvds and eating out, that could add up to a factory pipe quick....

Being young like you are, that is some of the best advice you can get.
you will nickel and dime yourself to death and wonder where all your money went if you arent careful. and that doesnt matter how much money you make. making goals and sticking to them helps a lot.

WRX Dave

Freestyle poser
Any thought to military service? Officer pay is pretty nice, plus it's about as good as it gets as far as job security.

You'll have to move around more than normal, but to me that's a plus.

WRX Dave

Freestyle poser
anytime my mom hears the word "military" come out of my mouth she flips haha she saw saving private ryan ......

So did mine at first. Heck, she got arrested for protesting during Vietnam. But once she realized that it's what I wanted to do with my life she opened up more. She even helped with some of the paperwork.

everyday im hustlin

hustlin.gif

Do what you like and manage your money well and you won't have any issues. Don't buy things you can't afford.

This ^

My dad is a mechanic at delta and my mom works as a solicitor for our county court. Neither of them are 100k plus jobs but we have our main residence, we own the house next store to us (rent it out), we have our lake house (50/50 with moms friend), bowrider boat, pontoon, 2 sit downs, i have two stand ups, 7 cars, huge 65" 1080p hdtv and no debt. Its all about buying the right stuff and being able to save when you need to. Anything you will enjoy is way better then something you will hate but make more money at.

tmetz

Camp Superjet!
sell good drugs... haha jk

Maybe come up with a good invention, like the post it or something that will sell. Tough part is thinking of something that hasn't been invented. Or like Scorn said earlier open your own business and pray you have customers. Everyone is losing there lunch on business' right now, but hey lifes a dance and you learn as you go sometimes you lead and sometimes you follow (idk just heard the song haha)

LBE

Eddie Would Go.
The phrase "Money doesn't buy happiness" should end with "just kidding".

I love that line.

Travel to Europe and see how they live. It changed my whole outlook on things here. I guess to each their own on what you want in life.

That said: I highly suggest you do a semester overseas while in school. It is a great experience and it is easier to do it while in school than later. Even if money is tight, you will be able to pull it off.

Last edited:
Do you push it to the limit?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IajpVPO0gN4"]YouTube - rick ross feat flo rida birthday[/ame]

this is the bestest Rick Ross song. Every time around the beginning of March I start playing it errywhere because my birfday is march tenth.

Travel to Europe and see how they live. It changed my whole outlook on things here. I guess to each their own on what you want in life.

I've never been to Europe, how do they live?

I love threads like this...

Top Bottom