Other What was your most worthless mod?

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Not apples to apples comparison....

I know but I am so not pleased with Skat right now. They charged me $425 to press my Mag into a new housing when it should have been covered by warranty.

- The threads were bad on the brand new shaft they sold me and it galled the threads on a brand new impeller and both had to be cut off and trashed.
- The replacement shaft was 3/8" longer than OEM and required me to shift my motor and midshaft to accomodate. Not a big deal but it made it makes it so the pump is not interchangeable and we can't swap pumps at the water any more for testing without others shifting their motors and midshafts.
- The housing cracks a little after a year from purchase and it's not covered by warranty, bad enough but $425 to hogg out another and press it in? WTF?
- Add in Poor fit and finish and shoddy looking welds and you have one unhappy customer.

The thread asked what Mod we wished we hadn't done, well. I wish I had never bought the Mag pump. Not saying all mags are bad news but certainly this particular one has had issues from the start and I need to vent a little about it until the sting subsides. :biggrin:

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I know but I am so not pleased with Skat right now. They charged me $425 to press my Mag into a new housing when it should have been covered by warranty.

- The threads were bad on the brand new shaft they sold me and it galled the threads on a brand new impeller and both had to be cut off and trashed.
- The replacement shaft was 3/8" longer than OEM and required me to shift my motor and midshaft to accomodate. Not a big deal but it made it makes it so the pump is not interchangeable and we can't swap pumps at the water any more for testing without others shifting their motors and midshafts.
- The housing cracks a little after a year from purchase and it's not covered by warranty, bad enough but $425 to hogg out another and press it in? WTF?
- Add in Poor fit and finish and shoddy looking welds and you have one unhappy customer.

The thread asked what Mod we wished we hadn't done, well. I wish I had never bought the Mag pump. Not saying all mags are bad news but certainly this particular one has had issues from the start and I need to vent a little about it until the sting subsides. :biggrin:

That sucks! Retailer of pump wouldn't help either?

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
That sucks! Retailer of pump wouldn't help either?

The retailer was Dave at Impros and he helped out immensly. He got the first shaft and impeller replaced for free, has been available for calls and emails anytime I need him and did as much as he could to keep the latest repair cost to a minimum, unfortunately Skat didn't leave him much room on this last one. :(

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
Have not done personally, but RRP handlepole ($$$$$$ + lbs)

I know I dont ride as hard as some, but OEM is working just fine. I could possibly be convinced to go XScream adjustable if/when I need to replace.

Its all about the surf!

No way I'd consider a mag pump as the worst mod ever, in fact I'd nominate it for one of the best mods ever, However I know where you're coming from because I also had the same issues with mine as you did with yours. My mag pumps performance was amazing but the maintenance was a nightmare. The last time I sent it back to Skat for a rebuild the bill was $750!!!

"Skat trak mag pump verses Solas mag pump" is a whole new thread. Who wants to start it?

Waternut

Customizing addict
TBM pump cone was a complete waste of money. A stubby cone did more.

Any electrical switch that doesn't come from JSS or OCD Solutions... Waste of money on switches and wasted money on the parts a faulty switch destroys when it gets stuck on all week.

seen that before brand new prop is stuck on the shaft. crapy stuff the shaft is made out of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom