Other What was your most worthless mod?

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
I agree with some of the posts on here but I noticed a big gain in brap factor from my MSD and FCV with my stock non ported 701. Without them it was difficult to tune, added the timing with the MSD and bang carbs were tuuned in a day. You could argue that if I really knew what i was doing I could have tuned it without the MSD, but ask anyone locally that has riden my ski. They all think its a ported 760 in there. Hell right now my 850 only has more power up top, the bottom end hit is still better on my 701 with all stock parts inside and stock carbs. I do have an ADA head also which made the tuning that much easier again.

Maybe that's the case. I too, have a non-ported 701.
Some of these "worthless" mods may not be so worthless depending upon set-up. And for around 50 bux, you can't expect a "b-pipe" type of performance change.
a little here and a little there.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Lightweight batteries, worst mod ever, after swimming in the ski at the end of the day because it wouldn't crank, lightweight battery out, Jetworks battery back in, problem solved.

You are much better off finding somewhere else to shave ten lbs than the battery!

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
LOL, I agree with the lightweight battery stuff. Unless you are in competition. I have seen them die in trying to start it after two tries. Granted it was 50 degrees out that day.

I vote the odyssey battery as the worse mod because it weighs 16 pounds and the quality lately has been questionable and its expensive. The Deka 9 battery has never let me down and weighs 9 pounds less.

Last edited:

High Speed Industries

Your one stop shop for quality parts @highspeedind
My list would be
Billet flywheel (rode exactly the same as my lightened stocker)
Frogskinz (seemed to bog my motor when they get wet and the also plug up with sand when riding in the surf)
Prefilters (made no difference with water injection)
Msd ignition coil(no power difference and doesn't last very long)
K&N flame arrestors (once they are wet your ski runs like poop)
No waterbox (it was cool for like 5 minutes)

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Billet throttle was mentioned as Bling and otherwise junk. I just bought a billet throttle. I haven't installed it yet but I didn't buy it for bling or to save weight. I like the stocker. I bought the cold fusion from Jetmaniac because the stocker with 0* bars broke my throttle cable. I got the cold fusion throttle for the mounting angle to ease some tension off the cable, and to go to the JM BB cable to help extend life. I'd rather have the stock throttle, but my cable broke almost immediately after putting on 0* bars, and I wont be giving them up.

I also bought a billet cooling pisser. I didn't buy it because it was bling or to save weight. I'd rather keep the stocker. However, after seeing people backflush their skis through the pisser, well, I liked the idea. I have the billet pisser because it is a circle instead of a rectangle/oval to allow it to be used to flush the ski. It eliminates the need for a flush kit and another T in the cooling system. The pisser I bought was from OR (I think) at Daytona last year for like $10.

A whole Kawasaki 550. The whole thing was a waste of time and money.
Hahaha! I was thinking the same thing. That piece of crap stranded in the lake 3 times before blowing up in the marina. I gave it away with the extra motor I had. My buddy tried to give me a hundred bucks when he picked it up and I handed it back lol.

I would have to say I didnt like my FCV and didn't feel a difference from the Blowsion stubby pump cone...both were fairly cheap though...my two best mods I felt were my B pipe and 9/15 hooker..

KTM434

Jamie FN Hickey
Non setback mag pumps should be on the list!

Sorry bro but I really disagree with this statement and I'm surprised nobody else said something. The advantage of any mag pump is the big hub for higher pump pressure/less cavitation and the extra vanes are for better hookup. The setback pump is just to allow more water in the pump tunnel which helps for whitewater hookup and longer hookup/thrust while jumping. If the non setback mags didn't make a difference then someone would have made stock pumps setback for budget performance instead of a non setback mag

Worthless mods are prefilters, stubby cone, non lock-on grips, versiplug max, stickers

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Worthless mods.
Straight Bars (went back to 4 degree, stock are 13 degree)
Billet throttle lever (went back to stock)
Aftermarket flame arrestors (went back to stock)
UMI pole (might as well have been made of tin foil)
Blowsion bearing steering system. (Now using the Bruins system with bushings, someone SHOULD take that over, awesome easy setup)
Aftermarket head.

Top Bottom