Other What was your most worthless mod?

98gti

C@R H@ul3R
A couple of years ago I compared a stock flywheel, stock lightened, and a Jetinetics aftermarket flywheel pretty much back to back on the same motor.
I couldn't tell any difference at all between the stocker and the lightened stocker. The Jetinetics was an improvement, but not several hundred dollars worth.

This was definetely one of my most worthless mods. Never again. I have a stock lightened flywheel thrown in my junk bolts box. That was a waste of 70 bucks. I'd sell it but I feel i'd be ripping someone off.

Last edited:

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
I think its time somebody started another thread about TBM cones VS. Stubby cones. Like mjh just said they both do completely different things. Each one also has its own positives and negatives for certain types of riding.

They all work as tuning tools to work with what size prop you are running in relation to the power output of your motor.

Its all about the surf!
A couple of years ago I compared a stock flywheel, stock lightened, and a Jetinetics aftermarket flywheel pretty much back to back on the same motor.
I couldn't tell any difference at all between the stocker and the lightened stocker. The Jetinetics was an improvement, but not several hundred dollars worth.

This was on a Super Jet Matt?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Yes, on a Superjet. I think that was on a homebuilt 62T/61X big bore. Nothing fancy, just a 62T bottom with dual 48 Full Spectrum Carbs (maybe it was a single, can't remember) and a 61X topend bored to 85mm.

Its all about the surf!
Jetworks Valve. Sorry, didn't notice a thing.

x2 I love both Art and Robert and will always support them but at least for my type of riding the flow control valve did nothing. I think they are mainly for racers (to keep h2o out of the exhaust on the starting line)

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
I feel better now about myself. I have a FCV mostly because everyone raves about them. I have adjusted it a million different times and never noticed a damn thing. Maybe I need to run a restrictor as well?

Lightened flywheel, same deal. MSD enhancer.....I think the only benefit was I could crank the rev limiter to infinity, besides that...mehh. I think getting nicer wires from JSS on my coil did more for me than the MSD.

I know, someone is gonna say "all the little things add up". But to me if all the little things add up to very little, yet add up to a few hundred bucks of cash, why bother? You can buy a lot of gas with that $$.

If people spent as much time making sure their skis were tuned properly instead of throwing money at them with these insignificant(in benefit) mods, they'd be FAR better off.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
I noticed my flow control. I keep it ran super dry though. I wonder what RPM you guys are letting water in at?

I don't think mine gets water to the stinger till about 5000 rpms? I don't have a tach but it's past half throttle for sure.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
x2 I love both Art and Robert and will always support them but at least for my type of riding the flow control valve did nothing. I think they are mainly for racers (to keep h2o out of the exhaust on the starting line)
Ding Ding Ding.

When your at the starting line you crank up your ski, your holder lifts the back of the ski and you blow out your exhaust and empty most of the water out of the exhaust and waterbox. When you go back to idle. The Flow Valve shuts cutting off the water flow to the stinger keeping the waterbox mostly dry. When the band pops, you do not get any back pressure bogging and can get a quicker jump of the line.

Yes, you can tune it some to open later which may help in freestyle applications when you come off throttle for a few seconds and allows some of the water to be expelled out of the exhaust system giving you a clean hit when you nail the gas.

I ran one, sold it, tried one again and felt a small gain.

This is one of those parts that in itself does not add much. Just like a lightened flywheel. Alone it does a little. But when you start adding up all the little mods you are building a package. This is where you see the benefits.

A stock flywheel in surf will probably work better. With the weight of the flywheel the motor can keep the RPM's going for a bit longer when you have to chop the throttle for a second and then get back on. You are just needing to keep the torque there for grab. With a lightened flywheel this lets the motor rev up faster which can benefit a freestyle ski when your going from 1/4 throttle to WOT for a trick.

Each has its place.

alot of people will use a FCV to mask a poorly tuned carb.....

the FCV will alter the sound of the ski, which tells me its working.....I only ever really noticed a difference if it was set tight like bruceski said........

XS puts them on all their builds....mine went to them in a box and came back on the ski so.......

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
This is one of those parts that in itself does not add much. Just like a lightened flywheel. Alone it does a little. But when you start adding up all the little mods you are building a package. This is where you see the benefits.
Each has its place.

X2!

Just cause you cant feel any benefit doesnt mean its not helping. It is the whole package that adds up to something.

motozachl

uPsiDeDoWn
Got another one: polishing my b-pipe to a mirror finish. Man what a waste of time and polish, looks like crap again after a few rides

stanton

High on jetskis.
I'm the most surprized by Stantons claim about lightweight flywheels. I was considering buying one of these. I've heard they don't make a big difference on a Kawi but I know Stanton rides an SJ. Stanton were you refering to a lightened stock flywheel or an aftermarket charging wheel like a Jetinetics?
had a tbm/rrp style billet "lightweight" it did make a small difference but only when the pump was unhooked, same with small couplers, theoretically should let the motor spin faster but the difference is measured in miliseconds. real world improvements over stock? for me, no way. the biggest difference making and cheapest mod was the fcv, kept my waterbox alot drier and made it so the motor isnt blowing out a bunch of water before exhaust off of idle speeds. want to talk about things to increase throttle responce then the fcv is it. i assume you all think these are power increase mods, but there not
oh and stock throttles SUCK!! i swear they only open the carb 70%

Last edited:

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
had a tbm/rrp style billet "lightweight" it did make a small difference but only when the pump was unhooked, same with small couplers, theoretically should let the motor spin faster but the difference is measured in miliseconds. real world improvements over stock? for me, no way. the biggest difference making and cheapest mod was the fcv, kept my waterbox alot drier and made it so the motor isnt blowing out a bunch of water before exhaust off of idle speeds. want to talk about things to increase throttle responce then the fcv is it. i assume you all think these are power increase mods, but there not
oh and stock throttles SUCK!! i swear they only open the carb 70%

I have most of the "worthless mods" mentioned in this thread! (stubby pump cone is on the way..lol)
It is not hard to see that the fcv actually does what it is supposed to do. Even if it is hard to notice in the water, it is not hard to feel on the trailer during fresh-water rinse. I've read about water boxes heating up and melting gas tanks....dangerous...but as you said, it's not something to get more power, just something to get the most out of what you've got.
The lightened flywheel is the same. Not a huge difference, but, in combination with an MSD, I feel it gets the 701 up and smokin' quicker.
As far as the stock throttle goes....mine broke years ago, but my wifes ski still has one. It opens 100%. If not, easily adjustable.

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I agree with some of the posts on here but I noticed a big gain in brap factor from my MSD and FCV with my stock non ported 701. Without them it was difficult to tune, added the timing with the MSD and bang carbs were tuuned in a day. You could argue that if I really knew what i was doing I could have tuned it without the MSD, but ask anyone locally that has riden my ski. They all think its a ported 760 in there. Hell right now my 850 only has more power up top, the bottom end hit is still better on my 701 with all stock parts inside and stock carbs. I do have an ADA head also which made the tuning that much easier again.

Top Bottom