Surfriding What's the best surf hull

Best surf hull in your opinion

• Total voters
The ride of the hull would be the main thing I guess it will be just a surf ski. Also the hull builder the self I don't want to worry about dealing with wdk or trendsetters because I want to give my money to someone who will deliver on time with good communication.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
The ride of the hull would be the main thing I guess it will be just a surf ski. [/qupte]

So I am curious: Considering where you live, why are you interested in buying an (expensive) surf hull???

Also the hull builder the self I don't want to worry about dealing with wdk

You have the advantage of being relatively close to Albany,OR - so you could deal with Jeff in person.

I want to give my money to someone who will deliver on time with good communication.

Well that rules out a large chunk of hull builders. I am mostly talking about the "on time" part. Either buy it with PLENTY of time to spare or buy hulls that are in stock - Rickter for example.

thejet, you clearly have a little knowledge of aftermarket hulls available currently. no offense. if your new to surf riding and jet skis in general i would suggest sticking with a superjet. until you reach a point where you feel like you can get gnarlier and really push the limits and your sj is holding you back. im talking backflips in shore break (less then 3 ft) and super tight turning that allows you to pop from bottom turns on to the lip. the sj does most every thing in the surf. what you really need to do to gauge the capabilities of these hulls is to learn the skill to maneuver smooth through the surf. an a/m hull is going to be much more difficult to ride and actually make your surfriding experience more frustrating. the mind blowing part of a new hull comes after you have maxed out your capabilities on your sufficient set up.

I'm moving right next to grayland next year so I will be riding mainly surf.
thejet, you clearly have a little knowledge of aftermarket hulls available currently. no offense. if your new to surf riding and jet skis in general i would suggest sticking with a superjet. until you reach a point where you feel like you can get gnarlier and really push the limits and your sj is holding you back. im talking backflips in shore break (less then 3 ft) and super tight turning that allows you to pop from bottom turns on to the lip. the sj does most every thing in the surf. what you really need to do to gauge the capabilities of these hulls is to learn the skill to maneuver smooth through the surf. an a/m hull is going to be much more difficult to ride and actually make your surfriding experience more frustrating. the mind blowing part of a new hull comes after you have maxed out your capabilities on your sufficient set up.
I know I won't be happy on a super jet for long I may not have surf time under my belt but I got bored with a Superjet in flat water extremely fast, and as far as skill goes I'm a very fast learner I only had 12 or so rides under my belt on a stand up before I flipped my bob (second ride on the bob) not really sure why but standup Jetskis came very easy to me, maybe motocross background came into play but I was hooked from the first ride!
All of your guess info is really a good help and I do thank you for it. All this was designed to do was get a little bit of a feel on where I should look and I think I have narrowed it down to 3 maybe 4 hulls. I hope to get to try and test ride each of them before I buy but that is probably a dream haha. I know I can get on a ricktor and maybe a freak.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25

Well written. Great points. A+. I think a lot of people get caught up in the hype right off the bat before mastering the Superjet.

KTM434

Jamie FN Hickey
I know your mind is set on an AM hull but you can't compare a Superjet being boring on flatwater to a Superjet in surf. After riding my Superfreak for a year I swapped skis with a buddies RN with tubbies and 2" chop and I was still amazed how good a SJ is in surf. SJ is a fun ski for surf and not all AM hulls are an upgrade in comparison.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I'm moving right next to grayland next year so I will be riding mainly surf.

I know I won't be happy on a super jet for long I may not have surf time under my belt but I got bored with a Superjet in flat water extremely fast, and as far as skill goes I'm a very fast learner I only had 12 or so rides under my belt on a stand up before I flipped my bob (second ride on the bob) not really sure why but standup Jetskis came very easy to me, maybe motocross background came into play but I was hooked from the first ride!
All of your guess info is really a good help and I do thank you for it. All this was designed to do was get a little bit of a feel on where I should look and I think I have narrowed it down to 3 maybe 4 hulls. I hope to get to try and test ride each of them before I buy but that is probably a dream haha. I know I can get on a ricktor and maybe a freak.

If you get bored on a SJ then it must not have had footholds, lowered hood and shortened pole. And must have been stock.

Saying you flipped your Bob on the second ride supports something I have been saying for a whole. With a short hull and good power, it does not take skill to flip. I would like to see you rip a SJ on a bouy course. I am talking about having the skill to really handle a ski. Wide open and then turn back 130 degrees without loosing much speed or control. Anybody can hop on a ski and get te feel of it after 10 rides. Does not mean they are proficient riders. Your gonna be riding surf mostly. A well built Superjet would be the best hull for you. Hit up Crab and GasGas. They can help you spec out a killer SJ surf setup. Or go see Blowsion.

If you get bored on a SJ then it must not have had footholds, lowered hood and shortened pole. And must have been stock.

Saying you flipped your Bob on the second ride supports something I have been saying for a whole. With a short hull and good power, it does not take skill to flip. I would like to see you rip a SJ on a bouy course. I am talking about having the skill to really handle a ski. Wide open and then turn back 130 degrees without loosing much speed or control. Anybody can hop on a ski and get te feel of it after 10 rides. Does not mean they are proficient riders. Your gonna be riding surf mostly. A well built Superjet would be the best hull for you. Hit up Crab and GasGas. They can help you spec out a killer SJ surf setup. Or go see Blowsion.
I have been thinking about a super jet too but like the idea of getting to build a hull and make it my own. Yes short hull with big power plant takes no skill but I flipped with a 760 off my own wake so not like it was a 1200. I get your point about being able to control your ski and I feel I accomplished that, I did the race thing on a bone stock 08 and held my own against the sxr racers locally (not pro by any means). The main reason for wanting to go the am way is to build it and make it my own, make it me. I know a lot of am hulls are not really a step up from a Superjet that is why I'm trying to narrow down what ones are a step up so I can make a step forward.

Marker Motorsports

Grip it and Rip it!
You can get a superjet and build it and make it your own. I think a lot people are just spending money on a ski to get attention. They want the cool paint and all the new hot parts. It's all whatever you want to do. But everyone rides totally different. I would never ask anyone else what hull they think I should get. You have to spend a few rides on a ski to get a good feel for it. You really need to ride them with different engine setups also. I have ridden a bunch of aftermarket skis, and I only have liked the matrix so far. Engine setup makes a big difference. Mark Gomez matrix ski, to me, is an amazing boat. It is so close to a superjet. Like the other folks said, get a superjet until you have become a master at it. I love my superjets, and I don't see a reason to buy an after market hull. I love seeing the people buy rickters, and come ride the surf, but yet have zero riding talent. It's funny, and Rick Roy is loving it!!

I like my Rickter FR2 a lot in surf and overall in general it is a great hull. If I were looking at a new surf hull today I would want to ride the Krash predator and maybe the FP1 before plopping down my cash.

ProSouth

Seriously, Don't be a dick.
i think hes working on a carbon version of the fp1 at some point. i talked with him a good bit through PM's. it is rockered and has a wider tray also. it isnt lighter than a superjet by much. 48kg=105lbs

Top Bottom