Surfriding Who lost a 98 superjet at Tierra?

tightithrash

Zack Bright. I Thrash.
Site Supporter
Are we allowed to change the topic real quick? I know the recovery team did a good job doing the most important part which was rescue Tanner. But how did the ski sink when there was two dudes right there? Maybe I missed something?

You didn't miss anything. They absolutely :):):):)ing blew it.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
It was pretty big and messy surf. After that backflip, they pulled a half-drowned Tanner back into the beach and then tried to get the ski. The rescue crew didn't really want to get off their couch and put a hook on it, though.
After a while , they got Tanner back off the beach and told him that if he wanted his ski back, he'd have to go with them and get it.
So he went. I am not sure if there was no tow loop on the back or what. But as he was about to hook it, the driver got cold feet about a coming wave and gunned it. Bam, hooked Tanner and drug him into the beach like that.
So after that, the concern was getting Tanner to the hospital. People kept circling the ski, but it started to disappear altogether.

Yah nobody was too impressed with that crew.

I understand he crashed on a flip and all but what caused the ski to sink? Did he hit bottom or did the ski just take on water from being upside down? I don't know much about stand ups so I'm not sure how this could happen

Matt_E

Site Supporter
I understand he crashed on a flip and all but what caused the ski to sink? Did he hit bottom or did the ski just take on water from being upside down? I don't know much about stand ups so I'm not sure how this could happen

Standups, in stock form, float when full of water. Superjets have a tendency to soak the foam in the back over the years. A lot of people also remove the styrofoam in the nose for whatever reason. Now put an aftermarket metal pole on it (instead of the glass stocker filled with polystyrene), and it will sink or be so neutrally buoyant that you can't see it floating just a few inches under the surface. Especially in surf like that.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Wow that's some scary chit. The retriever would be a great thing to have

The Retriever concept would have been useless, unfortunately. When there is +10ft surf on a rocky coast line, knowing just what rock the ski is getting beat to :):):):) on isn't going to help. You still need a diver to go down and attach a rope.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Well that was ruled out from the beginning. :(
They had similar issues the year before if I remember right. It took them a while go get Gomez's Superjet back. Oh wait, they didn't. It washed ashore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom