Winter project RR

haggis

its raining again!
Hi all

Been surfing this forum for a while now thought it was about time i became official! Just started my winter project, its a 2006 superjet RR with some mods ive fitted over the last two years;

C.A.T.S modified pro tec
Shortened oem pole
Steering, throttle trigger, 0 degree bars, footholds from air time products
jet dynamics intake grate, worx freestyle rideplate
skat trak c75 big hub prop, Tbm pump cone
Pro tec mach 1 exhaust, MSD enhancer, tauceti filters.

Im only at the strip down stage now but here's a list of things to do/fit

Modifie oem hood (lowered)
Cut away bond flange at rear
Posibly some nose mods
Scallops at rear of hull
Reinforce hull
Paint
New hydroturf (white)
Atp scupper
Atp nose cone
Atp lowered pole bracket
Starbar pole?
More engine mods; Girdled head, barrel/case porting, lightened flywheel, v-force reeds etc

Will post pics tomorow with update.

haggis

its raining again!
Forgot to mention ATP scupper arrived today,just took some pics of it and found one of my ski.

Attachments

• SANY0081.JPG
    SANY0081.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 137
  • SANY0082.JPG
    SANY0082.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 229
  • SANY0083.JPG
    SANY0083.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 301

haggis

its raining again!
Thanks for the welcome lads, got the rest of ski stripped today and cleaned the engine bay before i turn it over to start work on hull. disapointed to see the finish isnt worth a crap on my pipe its only 2 years old already the underside is flaking:frown: also found 2 nice cracks in the hull!

Got some more pics and a few from this summer, there not great but i'll get better ones tomorow.

Attachments

• 055.JPG
    055.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 056.JPG
    056.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 069.JPG
    069.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 070.JPG
    070.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 072.JPG
    072.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 70

haggis

its raining again!
Got finished cleaning the engine bay this morning, gave me a chance to inspect the hull a bit more. There is a few small cracks under the bond flange and a 4" crack on the side there is also a pile of small stress fractures on the bottom visible from the inside, has anyone encountered these before?
it would seem that the build quality of the hull isnt that great say compaired to older models,
doesnt matter, its all got to be repaired and reinforced any way.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 131

haggis

its raining again!
The outside of hull doesnt need a masive amount of work so i set into mesuring and marking out the scallops at rear. Firstly i removed the exhaust tube as im going to move it in a half inch or so to allow a bit more clearance, using tape i marked out the general shape 2"deep and 16"long and cut with jigsaw.

Now i can refine the shape a bit more possibly giving more concave at the rear?

Pleased to see foam wasnt soaked!

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 94
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 78
Nice project.
Regarding those small stress cracks in the bottom......I would want to see pictures, but it sounds like something I have seen quite commonly. If it's what I'm picturing it's not an issue.

haggis

its raining again!
I took some pics today but you cant make out the stress cracks in the photo but on further investigation ther appears to be no sign of these on the outside of hull, so now im thinking this could be a result of the moulding process?

haggis

its raining again!
Forgot how little 2 part foam you need to make a mess! Ok got the shape sorted first today and although i had marked out the other side I decided to make a template of the first scallop and re mark the 2nd to keep them uniform.

Then set about foaming and sanding. After making a mess of the first one I decided to remove a bit more of the original foam on the 2nd just to allow the new foam to be a bit more substancial once shaped. I also filled the exhaust cavity.

I'll prep the edges tomorow morning prior to laminating.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 154
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 145

Mike W

Infidel
Interesting to know why you are moding the hull like that. As far as the stress cracks, I know that has been a problem with the newer SJ's (04-07). That is why I reinforced mine.

haggis

its raining again!
Ive seen some other hulls on here with simillar mods but my reasons are that i didnt want to go down the conventional route of shortening the hull and possibly loosing recreational ridability. With the rear corners modified thisway im hoping that it will make it easier to enduce a roll/nosestab etc off a setup wake or in surf.
It is a bit trial and error, if its crap then i'll have to try somthing else!

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Several aftermarket hull builders offer their hulls like that (optional).
It is supposed to break the back end loose quickly and make rolls easier.

haggis

its raining again!
Been a few days since i last posted so heres an update. Got the scallops glassed yesterday, now i can cut out the sides of tray, dig out foam and do the bulk of the reinforcement on the inside.

Today i got the rear bond rail cut away and decided to do some cosmetic alterations to the nose. I cut the bond rail around the nose and tapered it back abit. I'll rebuild the nose flush and reinforce the inside. I have no reason for doing this other than i thouhgt it might look cool.

I was hoping to have more done by now but with it being the runup to xmas as usual ive left buying presents and other xmas related stuff till the last minute! so time has been limited ,lol.

Post pics shortly

i like the atp parts too. i have the scupper, pump cone and some other parts in my SN.
so im redoing my tray and mod the hull a bit this winter and I want to run the atp footholds, but im not sure, because I have never been able to ride or even to see some. So haggis: how do you like the atp footholds. I ride with shoes all the time and have size 11, i think. is there enough space with padding and turf? thanks

Top Bottom