Worst/Best MOD youve done

Hydroturf is terribly un-hydrodynamic. as soon as you start to turn the ski, the rails grab and scrub a lot of speed. They make it harder to drive out of corner as well and 'grab' ... ever get that feeling that youre stuck on a rail and the ski doesn't want to flatten out at lower speeds?

When you are turning, your rail becomes a planing surface... would you think that a strip of turf on the bottom of your hull wouldn't make a difference?

50% of handling is in the rail when you're turning. one chine and one rail are cutting through the water.

Why does every aftermarket ski ever produced come with turfed rails or bare rails ready to turf?

I should elaborate by saying hydroturf with groves or diamonds.

Rickters come with flat/smooth turf for this reason (unless you request otherwise).

If you ever get the chance to back to back a superjet, SXR or something else that handles with turf and without on the rails, you will be blown away how bad the turfed rail ski handles.

Having said that, i've heard of people not being able to tell the difference between a standard turnplate and a shortened one... Some people are just not cutout for testing/feedback.

King Kang

Never enough tray time...
1991 SJ 650

Worst mods:
The DG intake grate that I bought off ebay when I first got the ski. It made no difference compared to the stock grate. I guess that's why it was only $20!
Switching my stock bars for a set of free stock bars that came off a 2003 SJ. Sure, the newer bars were wider, but they were angled more and made riding the ski uncomfortable.

Best mod:
Hooker 9/15 and a clean/tuned carb on an otherwise stock setup was absolutely a night and day difference. It was the first "expensive" mod for me, and I have no regrets.

Top Bottom