Worst/Best MOD youve done

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
Squarenose:
Best=Short RN pole
Worst=Reinforcing

650sx
best=single 44sbn mikuni, high comp head, & pump wedge(sx)
worst=factory pipe

yamaha 701
Best=Big hub prop
Worst=single carb for 62t

XL800/couches in general
Best=Stuff to tow behind it
worst=anything that needs to be fixed.

Best yamaha oem replacement part= plastic wear rings

Last edited:

sxi steve

Life's short, have fun.
Hey, I hadn't read anything about cylinder porting. I was planning on Group K do this and lightening my stock flywheel this winter. Any comments/advise/opinions on the above. Is porting worth the $$$ and time?

---

SuperDrifter

Prototyper
Site Supporter
worst mod: deep scoop intake, wish it were my Aquavein, hooked up much better, under ALL conditions. (it's at the bottom on the lake though)

best mod: having the right combo, intake grate/prop.

After reading this thread, I'm replacing my WW cone back to stock. With bored nozzle, and stubbie, I realize now it could be working against me.

anyone else agree w/ the stubbie & boring nozzle combo?

Update, We were able to try the revised combination, (750SX)
Stock cone
Bored 85mm nozzle
Solas Concord
R&D Deep scoop
finned Finned Rideplate

water conditions: wet.....chops from wind (Midwest, no others crafts out)

IMO the combo had better mid to top end, stayed loaded better through chops, suffered at low end. What I learnt, WW cone, obviously gets better bottom end, but dramatically increases cavitation.

Last edited:
My 2004 RN had decent mods when I bought it, but the best mods I personally have done to it are replacing the weak stock pole and getting a -2 quicksteer turnplate.

Worst mod I have on my RN...turfed rails. I'd like to slap stock rails back on if I could find a set cheap.

For the 1991 650 SN, best mods were the Coffman Pipe and ditching the 98 lb stock pole. Worst mod to do was defoaming.

I'm about to turf my rails. Can you tell me why you didn't like it?

i turfed my rails on my superjet and I did it the way everyone says to do it. After a season some of the turf started to come off and it looked bad. I wish I had kept the plastic rails.

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
on my old kawi 750 i think the best mods that gave me the most bang were my pipe, head and rad flywheel
the rad really was major , like as much as the pipe

for my superjet?????? it was already built for me , but putting my msd enhancer really brought it all together
Was it a total loss or charging system?

92 650SX:

Best: Extended stock pipe length and modified headpipe, SBN44 carb, quick steer, Skat-Trak 10/18 impeller, PJS toploader intake grate and all freebie stock parts mods, including welding the D back into the stock plate. Port matching cylinder sleeves to exhaust ports and polishing.

Worst: Stubby pump cone, did nothing good, lost pump pressure and bottom end, D-cutting the stock ride plate, terrible control and a constant fight for handling.

96 SuperJet:

Best: Quick steering, modifying the stock nozzle steering mount for more quick steering, Speedwerx dry pipe, R&D Afterburner pump stuffer cone, Hooker 9/15 impeller, JetManiac Yamasaki coil, hood ratchet strap, footholds, glassing the front 3 holes in the stock hood <-- dried up the engine compartment immensely. Porting was brought up, I consider cylinder-to-exhaust port matching to be essential at minimum if any port work is to be considered.

Worst: Blowsion heavy duty spring, just barely long enough to secure into the Blowsion pole bracket and took about 4 hours to install with MUCH difficulty. Does it help reduce pole weight against the arms? Yep, would I do it again, probably not. Stock springs work just fine, just be sure to have a good pole pad and build up some muscle, you won't notice it when you're used to it. Stock airbox, get some water in your hull and take a spill off the right side. That big 'ol tube is just a perfect water shovel to catch and hold a hefty pile of h2o. Flow control valve, on a dry pipe it was not noticeable at all. Removing the stock siphon bilge and relying on the electric version...stock will be added back in in addition to the electric this year. Almost sank my ski last year due to a defective bilge right out of the box.

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
Best mod: 2014 FootRocket
Best mod for cheap: Ada quick-steer plate

Worst mods: Pod filters, big carbs on a ltd 701.(my sj was bought this way, performed waayy better on stock carbs/airbox setup)

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
I turfed my rails years ago on my sj, I barrel roll that ski, never once has any of it come lose, it's all about how it's installed. Handles fine in surf/lake.

Top Bottom