2014 SJ

Well finally got to Wisconsin to mess with my ski. Took apart my old 61X motor and man I dodged a bullet! The top end was on its way out 140/150 with a west coast head. I expected this as I sunk it twice this summer in Lake Michigan surf. However, I may be able to get away with new rings and a home after looking at the top end. But the crank had so much side to side play, I was so fortunate to not lose a rod! Makes me glad I bought a new motor! However, I had a poop ton of water in the bottom end so my flywheel is crusted on. Going to try to break it free, if not I'll need a new flywheel, bendix and stator for my new motor.

Got the front foothold mounted as well. About to take a multiple beer break. Then put on the factory pipe manifold and head pipe on my new motor. Feels good to be back with the ski!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motor mock up. Finally have a nice motor in a ski!
b5a67cb2ec68faa69eb2f56c3cdded3b.jpg

Sprayed some WD-40 on the flywheel overnight and sat the crank case up right. Got the flywheel, stator and bendix off my old motor. Using it on the new motor. Debating whether or not to have it lightened.

73c3db4d0e54eea04eaa7eae643e7cbd.jpg

08f44883559cee05a219860213eaade8.jpg

3f4d1d2f175a9f54dfc191abf47ce3ff.jpg

EDIT: Found my answer, guess I was running all 650 stuff last summer and need to get 701 electronics. Nothing like buying a ski and being told you have 701 stuff then find out you don't! Oh well it was over 2 years ago. Coils are the same so thats good. Guess I have plenty of spares now

Last edited:
Putting the build/upgrade on hold until the end of February. New condo is my main focus now. Check this view out once it gets to be summer! Can't wait!
8282af971bf015e0eed01db659b33db4.jpg
eb2d1ef53155aef8387b6e4cbc45d627.jpg

Going to be a nice summer in Chicago. Just have to figure out the nearest place to launch my ski

Last edited:
Did we just become best friends lol?

Dude you're more than welcome to come over anytime! I need more friends in the area! There's a waterfront bar and grill at the beach in the distance too.

The IJSBA closed course nationals are coming to Chicago in September. All my Michigan riding friends are coming over and we're getting trashed then going to watch. Pre game at my condo!

Little update as I bought some of the last parts last night:

-Blowsion Limiting Rope
-Dakine X-Lace Foot strap w/ foot strap install kit
-Primer Kit for Mikuni Duals
-MSD Boot Kit
-New Ebox Gasket
-Also bought a Cold Fusion Flywheel Lock (figured I have a nice motor now so no more rope trick)

Other parts i have acquired for down the road:
-Spare 760 complete bottom end with a mint crank, working starter, bend, flywheel (going to build a replica of this motor sometime soon)
-Factory Type 4 dry pipe. Why? Because I got it complete and dirt cheap. May swap pipes out sometime this summer too just to play around
-Going to bore out my old 61X cylinder for this new motor

This weekend I am planning to install:
-Stator
-Bendix
-Flywheel
-remove choke shafts from the carbs
-finish peeling the stock turf off
-Mount front foothold
-Possibly start cutting into my minty fresh 2014 hull to prep for the footholds
-Remove pump and try to budge the old impeller free and put the new 10/16 on

Still need to buy/do :
-Foothold install
-Buy B Stock White Hydroturf
-Send my 6m6 Cdi to OCD for his rev limiter mod.

Once I get this Blowsion order in and CDI back. I should be able to assemble the ski in a day or two when I find a weekend to go back up to the lake. Then wait for a warmer day to install footholds back in Michigan with @schicks

Hopefully, be on the water by the end of March/1st week of April.

I told myself I had a budget of $2,000 and I've crunched the numbers with all the new parts I have bought for the ski already plus the cost of the turf and rev limiter mod and paying @schicks for the 10/16 hooker impeller, I will be at a grand total of $2,060.88. So I can live with $60 and some change over budget. Not too shabby for a 2014 SJ that I only had $1100-1300 in before this winter upgrade!

de57e142da2b6c98ed16211b2f2b8329.jpg
0de6a5df901f52f92aa210d0c39b9465.jpg

Impeller swap was a breeze until I got to the rubber seal. Holy shonet! That thing is hard to get it to sit in there. Tried heat gun and wd40 no luck. Beer break....

10/16 hooker looks nice though

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
de57e142da2b6c98ed16211b2f2b8329.jpg
0de6a5df901f52f92aa210d0c39b9465.jpg

Impeller swap was a breeze until I got to the rubber seal. Holy shonet! That thing is hard to get it to sit in there. Tried heat gun and wd40 no luck. Beer break....

10/16 hooker looks nice though

Did you entirely use your hands? It usually is a PITA but I endup sliding in one side in with a flathead screwdriver and then keep working it in

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I burnt both my thumbs and Pointer fingers haha.
3b5f2a2bfb8a7f7f3ec63fb736652192.jpg

Going to try this small flat head in a bit

Top Bottom