927cc 66v/e motor build

RiverRat

Building my 927cc motor for the X-jet. My Lamey PV motor was rocking until my manifold crapped out on me. I was going to continue to run that set up but can't deny the numbers that the 66e (gp800) produces.

For this build I am using 66v cylinders off a gp1200. I have not done the port mapping of this cylinder but have been told by several people that the port timing is better for low end performance. Jeff from Waterdawgs is providing the cylinders........all media blasted, bored to 87mm and re-nikacil plated cylinders. The nikacil plated cylinder promote better and more uniform cooling while also improving piston acceleration over steel sleeved cylinders. The pistons will be forged wiesco that are lighter and more durable than cast pistons.

More info and pics will follow soon...............

Attachments

• 1200cc.jpg
    1200cc.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 1200cc2.jpg
    1200cc2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 1200cc3.jpg
    1200cc3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 1200cc4.jpg
    1200cc4.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 84

RiverRat

:smoker: Motor specs as of now:

66v bigbore cylinders
Forged pistons
Waterdawg billit girdled o-ring head
Waterdawg billit intake manifold
R&D reed stuffers
Dual 49mm full spec carbs
MSD TL ignition

I am working on removing a few cast marks on the cases and clearencing one section for the larger pistons. Once finished I will have them blasted on the inside to give a uniform textured finish. The 66e cases do not need to be ported. All I am going to do is smooth out some sharp edges and it will be good to go.

Attachments

• IMG_1755.jpg
    IMG_1755.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1756.jpg
    IMG_1756.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1758.jpg
    IMG_1758.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1759.jpg
    IMG_1759.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
theres a lip on the opposite side of the intake, your sleeves will hit them, remove it. Notice how when the reeds are in the case they block the boost port, run a spacer to pull them out of the way

RiverRat

some case work.........still working on shaping.

I am pretty much doing the same benificial thing people do to 62t cases. Smoothing out hard edges and roughing up the surface for better fuel atomization. I also plan to mark and drill holes in the reed stops. That way they are still finctional but less restrictive. Notice how they block access to the boost port. I could just install a reed spacer plate but have heard that these motors do not take well to increased case volume. 12mm reed spacer coupled with the dimentions of the reed mounting area can add a significant amount of volume to the case, not to mention anouther 12mm to the intake track. Both values I want to minimize

Attachments

• IMG_1781.jpg
    IMG_1781.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1786.jpg
    IMG_1786.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1793.jpg
    IMG_1793.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1794.jpg
    IMG_1794.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

keefer

T1
Man that is sweet, I have been wanting to build a 66e platform engine for some time. I was talking with Jeff today and he had me stoked about building a 950ish setup. Maybe someday!! Keep the pictures coming..

ROTATION

Why must I build it??????
You are getting the case volume thing wrong. The increased bore will increase crankcase compression, which raises speed through the transfers causing the crankcase to be over-scavanged at low speeds. Longer intake will also increase low speed torque.

RiverRat

You are getting the case volume thing wrong. The increased bore will increase crankcase compression, which raises speed through the transfers causing the crankcase to be over-scavanged at low speeds. Longer intake will also increase low speed torque.

I will keep that in mind. I plan on checking a variety of set ups on this motor.

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
Rotation is right
crankcase stuffing is old old old school
it makes for peaky engines

i would be looking at running reed spacer if i was you

riverrat, I recently rebuilt my 66e and i was told not to use the wiseco piston because they expand too much and it would cause a problem on the nikasil bore. so i put in oem matched pistons. can u explain......

RiverRat

riverrat, I recently rebuilt my 66e and i was told not to use the wiseco piston because they expand too much and it would cause a problem on the nikasil bore. so i put in oem matched pistons. can u explain......

Nope.....I can't expalin that. My only theroy is that the forged aluminum piston and cast aluminum cylinder expand at different rates, potentially causing a piston seizure or cylinder scoring. I would think that the piston has to expand by a significant margin to do that kind of damage.

Waterdawg Kustomz

RIP NATION

There is absolutely NO problem using the Wiseco pistons. If the clearances are right, then they will run for a very long time. Wiseco builds all our pistons, even the 98mm, and we have no problems with them. A forged piston will expand quicker, but if you build the motor knowing that, everything will be OK. :thewave::bananalama::Banane19::bigok:

Jeff

Mile9c1

X-H2O.com
I think with the forged pistons you just have to run more clearance and let them warm up properly... I've used Weisco's in my dirtbikes w/plated cylinders, no problems.

Top Bottom