Super Jet Best Aftermarket Engine

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
I'm going to disagree with Gil - there's no need to be talking to your engine builder a lot if you explain what you want, settle on a budget, and the engine works right out of the box when you get it. My vote goes to XScream on that score. A great engine builder gets you the motor you want and gets you dialed in on all the other variables without a bunch of "try this prop" and "try that cone" and "maybe we need to re-jet". Chuck knows his motors inside and out, down to the point where I didn't even have to touch a mixture screw after I told him what altitude I ride at. Just bolt in and go.

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
The best motor will run like a turd if its not matched with all its components.

No need to spend all your money on a XS1000 if all you have to feed it is a single 38

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few
The best motor will run like a turd if its not matched with all its components.

No need to spend all your money on a XS1000 if all you have to feed it is a single 38

Very true statement! The motor aint poop, it's the complete package.

GIL

I'm going to disagree with Gil - there's no need to be talking to your engine builder a lot if you explain what you want, settle on a budget, and the engine works right out of the box when you get it. My vote goes to XScream on that score. A great engine builder gets you the motor you want and gets you dialed in on all the other variables without a bunch of "try this prop" and "try that cone" and "maybe we need to re-jet". Chuck knows his motors inside and out, down to the point where I didn't even have to touch a mixture screw after I told him what altitude I ride at. Just bolt in and go.

My point was that if the builder don't want to talk to me, I don't want to spend money with him. But your point is very valid, bolt in and go is the only way to go! After Art got me landed on MS109, the rest was easy and he sent it back to me dialed in and ready to go. Paul Lehr did a 701 motor for me that I never had to touch after install that was the best running 701s I have ridden to date. Paul's bang for the buck 701 pkg is impossible to beat!

:brap:
this would be one of the better ones and reliable to boot!

Attachment 133635
My point was that if the builder don't want to talk to me, I don't want to spend money with him. But your point is very valid, bolt in and go is the only way to go! After Art got me landed on MS109, the rest was easy and he sent it back to me dialed in and ready to go. Paul Lehr did a 701 motor for me that I never had to touch after install that was the best running 701s I have ridden to date. Paul's bang for the buck 701 pkg is impossible to beat!
X2 on the Paul's work I have a 82mm std stroke "701" that was build using Paul's recommendations & setting all I had to do was fine tune
(<1/8 turn) the carbs. the only work Paul did was port/bore the cylinders and lighten a flywheel, That and share his knowledge.
He has always been more than willing to help, with SOUND advise.
and as for bang for your buck i feel like I owe Paul.

Last edited:

GIL

:brap:
this would be one of the better ones and reliable to boot!

Attachment 133635
X2 on the Paul's work I have a 82mm std stroke "701" that was build using Paul's recommendations & setting all I had to do was fine tune
(<1/8 turn) the carbs. the only work Paul did was port/bore the cylinders and lighten a flywheel, That and share his knowledge.
He has always been more than willing to help, with SOUND advise.
and as for bang for your buck i feel like I owe Paul.

I would love to get my hands on that lil blue notebook that he keeps!!!

If I were to ship my engine to someone and say, "make it rip" . What would they do to it and what it the approx price tag on something like that? I have a prop and B-Pipe already (Very simple I know).

Has anyone had this done recently and can offer some feedback or advice?

Also, How easy is it to rip the engine out and re-install it? Never tried it and was curious as to what the process was like...

Thanks

Bang for the buck = Jetmaniac/Blue @ $1600 short block is hard to beat, knock $500 off if you have a good core.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
If I were to ship my engine to someone and say, "make it rip" . What would they do to it and what it the approx price tag on something like that? I have a prop and B-Pipe already (Very simple I know).

Has anyone had this done recently and can offer some feedback or advice?

Also, How easy is it to rip the engine out and re-install it? Never tried it and was curious as to what the process was like...

Thanks

Again, depends entirely on your budget. I can only speak for what Jetworks does, but you could get your current 701 ported and leave it ay that, or Get the stock carbs modified on top of the port job, get some additional parts, or your could get the cases ported, big bore the cylinder, etc etc....
I recently tried out a near stock bore Jetworks ported 61X cylinder on X cases, and also a ported 717 61X/62T motor with modified dual 38's. Both of them were the strongest engines in that size/price class I've ever tried.
Question is, what's your budget?

Again, depends entirely on your budget. I can only speak for what Jetworks does, but you could get your current 701 ported and leave it ay that, or Get the stock carbs modified on top of the port job, get some additional parts, or your could get the cases ported, big bore the cylinder, etc etc....
I recently tried out a near stock bore Jetworks ported 61X cylinder on X cases, and also a ported 717 61X/62T motor with modified dual 38's. Both of them were the strongest engines in that size/price class I've ever tried.
Question is, what's your budget?

3K is a reasonable guess for now...how is the transferring of the engine though? Difficult?

Matt_E

Site Supporter
I find it fairly easy. For 3k, you should easily be able to get a fully ported big bore with some goodies (carbs, ignition)
Do you already have a pipe, prop, etc?

chriselmore_1

high on resin
jetworks bigbore kit is only about 1200$. Blackjack carb mod 170$ per carb. DASA does awesome work too. Not alot of people realize the do work on stock cylinders too. After all. Dan lamey designed the sj motors....

AlbanyMotorsports

Cru is Rad
The polaris setups are very tough to beat..even my stock stroke/bore 777cc runs like a raped ape...and the prices are not nearly as steep as people think, especially in comparison to some of the newer 62t setups out there.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Then your 3k budget should get you a very nice package. Pick a builder and see what they recommend.
Listen to what they say about addons like props, reeds,.cooling setup, etc.it's best to have ONE guy put together a complete package for you.

Top Bottom