borrowing other peoples ski's---ETIQUETTE

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
It won't matter if this weather doesn't turn around.
If the freeride was today, then we would all be standing on the beach taking pictures/video of Matt_E!

I'll be standing right next you, under the heaters.
Got fuel yet? i'll pitch in!

I am trying to turf and my garage is too freakin cold. :smashfreakB:

AtomicPunk

Site Supporter
Anyone wants to ride my ski just walk up and take it... It's the Matrix with the XS1000. :439:

All good points so far, it just comes down to respect and common sense. But, some people need it spelled out for them.

great topic. I've ridden several skis before, but I am always nervous and cautious. You can easily get the feeling of a ski by some carving and straight jumps, etc. It's not the appropriate time to do anything that has even a moderate risk of equipment damage. One thing that makes me nervous about Daytona is all the people. You can be as responsible as possible, but that's no guarantee that the other guy isn't going to land on you or chase the backside of a wave towards shore.

yes bring it back good post and how about tools at the vb ride i had a couple of tools not returned and two spare battery cables not returned, he is not on the forums or i would have asked for them back, i love helping people but it should not cost me tools and spares

I have found that if you lend anything to anyone in this "sport", you better have a tether on it... I have lost so many PFD's, wetsuits, and various gear throughout the years having people come here and ride. I know people don't mean to steal the stuff, it just gets wrapped up w/ your gear and get taken back to where ever ans then not noticed for 6 months till they ride again and by that time, they probably don't remember they even borrowed it...

please be conscious of what you borrow and return it...

I have found that if you lend anything to anyone in this "sport", you better have a tether on it... I have lost so many PFD's, wetsuits, and various gear throughout the years having people come here and ride. I know people don't mean to steal the stuff, it just gets wrapped up w/ your gear and get taken back to where ever ans then not noticed for 6 months till they ride again and by that time, they probably don't remember they even borrowed it...

please be conscious of what you borrow and return it...

good call...

and good call to SFL about the beach wheelz as well..

I typically dont mind lending out equiment or tools....but if so, you better damn well sure come find me when youre done with it and HAND it to me......not make me scout around and find it..

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Last year Pat & the FL west coast crew were very generous with the beach wheels. We were parked side by side. When they were out riding & we were warming up...a guy comes up, takes the cart and proceeds 200 yards up the beach!

I assumed he had permission. Anyway, I watched the guy put his ski in the water, roll the cart to "his" trailer and proceed to ride.
I wasn't sure what I had witnessed, but I walked over and calmly rolled it back to Pats truck.

Point is, he should have returned it b4 riding. Permission or not!

Last edited:

AtomicPunk

Site Supporter
http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/67531

Oh yes...heaters will be there. We're going to rig some sort of enclosure as well, small heaters inside, tall ones at the entrance.

nice.. that will seem something like this (minus the towel)

153189534_620480a66b.jpg

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
nice.. that will seem something like this (minus the towel)

153189534_620480a66b.jpg
something like that. The thing currently has no sides. We're gonna tarp around it I think.

This might be a good time to mention that it will be west of the truck. It's not so nice to use-up what could be three parking spaces on the beach. That annoyed me a bit last year. Everyone wants to be close to the action.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
I don't even make an attempt to borrow another ski unless one of 4 things are true.
1-I personally know them
B-They offer
3-I can afford to fix/replace
4-My ski is worth equal or greater and I am willing to trade for the ski I just busted

seatsR4toilets

Just spell my name right
When I used to race skis (in the early days), it was a "you break it - you buy it" mentality. And everybody was good with that. I don't ever remember there being any issues.

When I raced 410 sprint cars, the theory was a little different: It was "you break it - you buy it" , EXCEPT the motor. The motor didn't count.

And I think that sorta makes sense. For the most part, if a motor is gonna grenade, it's gonna do it when it's gonna do it regardless of who's riding (driving) it at the time. Back then, a good motor was about $34K, and needed to be freshened about every 10 nights-ish. So, if you drive a guys car, and it's 8-10 nights in, and it blows up, who REALLY should be responsible for the $3,000+ freshening?
The only real difference that I can think of with jet skis is the no-rev limiter factor. That changes things a bit. I know we've all seen guys at the beach with the handlepole in their hands, the ski half upside-down, 5-6ft waves everywhere, and the throttle pegged as they are trying to keep from drowning.

My general rule of thumb is that I stay off of everyone elses' skis.
If I don't ride it, I can't break it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom