Brocks Gulf Tribute Build! **Test Ride\Problems**

went for a 30 minute ride today, didnt bog that much but was still bogging every now and then. Opening up the hood with what sanoman did later. I still have an exhaust leak but its about 1\4th of what it used to be and its REALLY hard to pinpoint the location. I think the ski may be running rich in general because the whole back of my ski is FILTHY black with carbon.

Should smoke be coming from the pissers? I think its exhaust smoke b\c it leaks a black taint. So many problems....

Waternut

Customizing addict
If smoke it coming from the pissers you may have a blown o-ring or head gasket (can't remember which you have). Easiest way to tell is to pull the head and look for a nice steam cleaned piston.

i didnt grease it. I put a little dab of yamabond on the oring so it would stay in place when I put the head on, Ill check tomorrow. If water was getting in the cylinder from the head wouldnt I have been screwed over a while ago? Ive been on about 4 rides (longest being 30 minutes) but wouldnt that be long enough run time to blow up from water?

Waternut

Customizing addict
i didnt grease it. I put a little dab of yamabond on the oring so it would stay in place when I put the head on, Ill check tomorrow. If water was getting in the cylinder from the head wouldnt I have been screwed over a while ago? Ive been on about 4 rides (longest being 30 minutes) but wouldnt that be long enough run time to blow up from water?

No, there's a big difference between hydrolocking the engine and sucking in a little water. You'd only be sucking in a little bit of water and then in the compression stroke would be pushing some of it back out. It'll mess with both your cooling and tuning a bit though....and obviously your compression.

Big Kahuna

Administrator

Not sure on using yamabond on the orings. I would stick with grease. It keeps the oring lubricated and keeps it from drying up plus holds it in place.

Well they arent what they were when I first put them in. They arent ripped of anything they are just kind of squared off on the inside. I hope the local shop has some, or else Ill have to order them online.

Im trying some mcmaster o'rings (from the mcmaster parts list on here) hopefully they work, but if not they were darn cheap, and I ordered 2 sets. Thankfully they are coming from atlanta so they should be here early next week

Last edited:

Waternut

Customizing addict
I hate to sound like a broken record and I'm sure I'll come off like a dick but a compression gauge and something to pressure check the engine for leaks are essential to a well tuned engine. Without those, it's like asking the next girl you meet to marry you and assume everything is going to work out perfectly. Just a little extra effort in the beginning can eliminate so many problems. You're not alone in this regard but I personally have rebuilt plenty of engines and so far, not one has ever pressure checked perfectly the first time.

Here's a write up I did a long time ago on pressure checking engines.
http://www.pwctoday.com/f64/how-pressure-test-your-engine-166854.html

Well its a little late for that. Im VERY happy with how the engine ran beside the bogging from what should be not enough air. Once I open up the hood, Im just going to ride and not worry about anything.

finally found my exhaust leak, its a little slit in my hosing, its really clean and not like melted or blown out looking. Im thinking in the process of cutting wasnt paying attention and cut in the wrong place or something and forgot about it. I found it after I started the ski up a little and after it shut off the smoke started seeping from the little slit. Sealing that up with rtv until winter, and that whole "exhaust" is getting redone.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
finally found my exhaust leak, its a little slit in my hosing, its really clean and not like melted or blown out looking. Im thinking in the process of cutting wasnt paying attention and cut in the wrong place or something and forgot about it. I found it after I started the ski up a little and after it shut off the smoke started seeping from the little slit. Sealing that up with rtv until winter, and that whole "exhaust" is getting redone.

Be sure to apply RTV to the inside as well. You could also upen the slit up and superglue it.

Brock hows it been? Chopped into that hood yet?

Yes Ive chopped the hood, helped a LOT, still getting a little bogging, but thats probably just carb tuning. The rtv didnt really hold up well, Im going to go with my original plan of windsheild urethane. That stuff is AWESOME, holds up to high heat and hardens really well.

My carb settings are pretty off from what is recommended.
current: recommended:
main: 155 main: 135-145
pilot: 120 pilot: 120 (correct)
needle\seat: 1.5 needle\seat: 2.0

and my main\pilot screws werent close to what they should be. Ill get a new main and needle\seat and see if that helps

Last edited:

TB

NOTHING IS EVER PROMISED
brock i'd try using the 3m super weather strip adhesive to seal that up...that stuff is nasty crazy sticky and sticks to everything really well.

WAB

salty nuts
Nothing is gonna stick to to cut well now that it has been covered with hot 2stroke oil. if you insist on not replacing it, spray it down with carb cleaner and clean w/ soap & water. It may give you fits the rest of the summer.

Ok since my ski is on the moving truck and the lake is about 30 minutes from my new place I decided to think about my winter plans. Number one is a new motor. I've been craving a big bore stroker for a while. I won't be able to afford a new xscream so I'll have to look for something second hand. Along with new or refurbished electronics, no tl for now. I'll probably go with an epic cdi. I'm also probably going to make a "bulkhead" by just laying down some glass over the back open area so I can have a functional scupper and bilges since a bilge is close to useless on this ski since all the water rushes down the gunwhales of the ski. Also with that "bulkhead" I'm going to put in a REAL exhaust and glass that side exhaust and finish that to look good. Also going to ditch the 300sx tank for a kart tank

Top Bottom