SXR Cannibal's build - IS FINISHED!!! decks split, rocker nose, -3

Sweet jeebus... that's a lot of work! It should turn out pretty cool once the dust settles. What are your plans for the motor? Are you leaving it stock or are you having any mods done to it?

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Well, that's what started this all, crank gave out while riding in 37* weather.

I haven't sent it off yet, just need to get it all prepped for shipping, but Art is rebuilding my crank, I was at 83mm (max "stock" size), but SXR can take up to 85.4mm, so I'm going 84mm which is an 820, it gives me 3 more bores, but the last two are special Group K pistons ($$$). Art is also going to bottom end port it for me as well.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Haha, not even going to be close. I'd come just for the heck of it, but we are out of town this weekend, then down in Lincoln City, OR the following weekend. Busy March.

But I HAVE to have it done buy Memorial Day. Casey got invited to Liquid Militia Teem Weekend in Santa Barbara, CA and I'm tagging along. We leave Thursday before Memorial Day and return Tuesday after Memorial Day.

I hope to have it done LONG before hand, but too much life stuff seems to get in the way. I haven't even laid one piece of glass yet.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Wow, I forgot how much I've done since my last update...been too long between.

For hull chops and such, I cut 3" from the back of the ski. Jason (550/440) has a EME Q8 and I will make the ride plate holes line up with that so I can basically make both of us ride plates that are longer/shorter/D cut whatever we want. I plan on making a mold for this.

I also cut off the bond rail vertical section leaving just the horizontal section. If you've seen my thread about wide rails and handling, you'll understand why. HOWEVER, this is one area I've decided to undo/redo. I had mocked up a pink foam mold to form the new rails, they were to be 2" from the hull all the way around the ski, then a 45* angle after that giving a total width of 3". The rear was to have nice deep fins like a Superfreak which act like cornering sponsons.

What I did instead is tear off my pink foam and buy some of that PVC trim board and rip that at a 45* angle. I glued a sheet of shower board to the rail on the top side will now be forming the bond rail from the under side rather than the top side. The rails won't be as wide either, basically I'll be changing from a wider rail to a rail that is as wide as stock, but 45* angles from there making the final width evenly wider all the way around. It will still have the built in rear sponsons.

sxr chop.jpgsxr pink foam.jpg

On the top deck, I cut off the existing top deck bond rail completely and then cut off an equal 1" all the way around the ski. This is my 1" body drop. I needed to form a new bond rail up front anyway, so I decided just to do the whole top deck. The first pic above shows the top deck with the 1" body drop done to it and mocked up.

sxr side chop.jpg

Here's a couple pics of engine and tank mock up. This isn't the tank I'll be using, I'll still used external fill on a stock tank I have, this one is just sealed up so dust won't get in side. You can see I don't have much room there between the pipe and the hull.

sxr chop no top.jpgsxr chop engine.jpg

I have some figuring out do to where the top deck meets the bulkhead. I'm figuring there will be a recessed front foot hold in there since the top deck is moved forward 2.5", I might need/want to stand farther forward as well.

sxr chop ft toe hold issues.jpgsxr chop ft toe hold.jpg

I've thinned the heck out of the hull, sanded all the way through until I hit gel coat in a few spots. I cut out the stock battery location and will relocate that to where a SJ battery is since I'm running a SJ tank and since with the top deck moved forward, I won't be able to get the battery out between the hull and the carbs. I also removed the spot where the tool kit goes.

sxr chop battery 2.jpgsxr chop batt.jpgsxr chop battery.jpg

Last edited:

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Must be limited to 10 pics per post, wouldn't let me upload any more on the other one.

Here's a couple of the bottom deck all sanded ready for glassing.

sxr chop w.jpgsxr chop w2.jpg

tomski

X
Wow, I forgot how much I've done since my last update...been too long between.

For hull chops and such, I cut 3" from the back of the ski. Jason (550/440) has a EME Q8 and I will make the ride plate holes line up with that so I can basically make both of us ride plates that are longer/shorter/D cut whatever we want. I plan on making a mold for this.

If you decide you have enough going on, I have true fit Q8 rideplates. My mold was made from the bottom of the hull and matches perfectly.

Q8-SKY.jpg

Last edited:

Cannibal

Tasty Human
If you decide you have enough going on, I have true fit Q8 rideplates. My mold was made from the bottom of the hull and matches perfectly.

View attachment 176068

I'll keep that in mind Tom, thanks.

looks killer.... cant wait for ride feedback

Ya, I'm hoping for the best. Shortening the hull 3" and adding rocker reduces the planing surface. Then moving the top deck forward 2.5" will shift the weight. I'm hoping it won't have too much nose pressure, but worst case, I can put on a longer pole and move my footholds back to get the ride where I want. The plan is for some adjustable rail mounted footholds to help with the ride tuning.

550/440

Maybe I'll get it all the way around NEXT time....
Lookin' good Steve! I can't wait for a ride report as well! The 750 Q8 is a darn fun ride, I've still got some dialing in to do, but she is awesome! Are you going to make it to the Easter ride?

Top Bottom