SXR Cannibal's build - IS FINISHED!!! decks split, rocker nose, -3

Mine starts this weekend. Didn't realize how involved you were in yours. Just discovered this. Holy :):):):)! If I had know that you had it down this far I would have had you take measurements for me. So glad I don't have to cut weight...but I also have no room to rocker it. Keep it up.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Big negative on the Easter ride Jason. That's a 3 day weekend for me, I plan on playing catch up.

Nick, if you need some measurements, I'll grab what I can, but I've changed about everything...lol. I wouldn't wish this project on anyone. It's a LOT of work.

I got a decent amount done last night. One aspect was driving me crazy...finally figured out a way around it.....It's been 1 step forward, two steps back here recently. I've had to undo some mock up, other mods complicated things...been frustrating.

I'll be working on this through the weekend. Hoping to make some serious forward progress.

Last edited:

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Good progress this weekend.

I didn't like the pink foam for the bond line mold. I stripped it off, flipped the bottom deck upside down and glued it to a piece of plywood. Then measured out 3.25" and screwed a 45* cut PVC trim molding to the plywood. Then I poured 2 part foam on that. I flipped it back over and removed the plywood and it left me with a perfect bond rail shape that is even front to back at 3.25" from the hull to the outside of the 45*. I used 1x4 in the back so I can basically add mold in some turning sponsons.

I mixed up some 1/4" milled fibers and cab-o-sil and filled holes and cuts preparing for glass. I've never worked with milled fibers....wow are they awesome. I filled the big 2" hole where my side exhaust was by slapping on a thin layer with some 3m tape on the outside. Next day, peeled the tape, this stuff dries like a layer of chopped mat. Very cool stuff. Now I have a nice surface to glass to and a smooth surface on the outside to do some minor filling and sanding. I also filled the bulkhead holes with it too.

The rest of this week I'll be planning and cutting glass/carbon in preparations to wet layup this coming 3 day weekend. My shop is cold, so it will take a few days to cure. So after that, I'll be working on the top deck.

You should see this carbon I have, it's basically biaxial stitched stuff I got a smoking deal on. This stuff is 8' wide, which makes it easy because I'll basically be laying 1 long strip for the sides/bond rail front to back. No need to worry about overlap.

No pics, I suck at documenting...but in the mean time, here's a picture of my the special tool I used to mark where I placed the trim molding. The depth and level worked together to make sure the marks were all even....I also had a Sharpie taped to it, so I just drug it along the side of the hull making sure it stayed level and flat against it.

sxr special tool.jpg

rubbertoe

X-H20 certified
looks great ! cool that your trying different hull lines .keep up the good work.and if you ever need another sxr hull to shape off of let me know ,no hin but super low price .cool for a project .

shougrider

RIP 7/28/2014
Steve, mine is almost complete. Nose is done, bracket cover done, just finish sanding and then paint. Get to it....

Bty, you bit off a lot, and are making very good progress.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Ya, I bit off a huge bite....gonna work on precutting my glass and carbon tonight. 3 day weekend ahead of me, hoping to get the bottom hull completely glassed in one shot.

While that cures, I'll be working on the top deck. Going to glass the Blowsion gunwale covers directly onto the hull. Need to work on the front toe hold too.

I'll work on some pics too.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
LOL....not quite. Friday I built the box and sent off the engine to Blackjack and hull prep. Saturday was more prep, garage clean up in preparation to cut the glass, then a bunch of glass cutting (blisters from the shears). There are 50 individual pieces of Knytex, glass, and biax carbon just on the bottom deck. So today I laid 2 layers of Knytex and 4 layers of carbon on the front rocker till my body said no more. My lower back is killing me from bending over, my knees are way sore from hyper extending them while leaning over the hull. This is a lot of work.

Here's my layup schedule:

Bottom rocker section: 2 layers of biax, 6 layers carbon.

Side rails and nose:
This is complicated, I alternated the biax carbon I have, since it's on a 45* angle, and a layer of e glass that is woven at 90* with 2 layers of Knytex at the nose.

The first layer is a 6" wide piece of carbon, then a 7" wide piece of glass, then an 8" wide piece of carbon, then a 9" wide piece of glass, then finally a 10" wide piece of carbon. The ski doesn't have any bond rail, so I'm building from scratch on top of 2 part foam using duct tape as release film.

The rear of the ski where I -3'd the ski is to be laid up with 2 layers biax and 4 layers carbon...but I'm thinking of adding some e glass in as well for strength and bulk.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Fugg me...this is a lot of work.

Laid the other two layers of carbon on the rocker section, laid the rear boxes, laid a single layer of carbon on the bond rails, mocked up the exhaust, 5200'd the tubes in and built a battery box.

Here's some pics of the hull prepped for glass:

sxr pre glass 2.jpgsxr pre glass 5.jpgsxr pre glass.jpg

Here's the rear boxes glassed in and the exhaust outlet mock up.

sxr rear chop.jpgsxr exhaust outlet.jpg

Exhaust tube mock up....an no, I'm not using ABS as n exhaust, I just needed it to know where the tube goes through the bulkhead.

sxr exhaust mockup.jpg

Here's the pics of the laid carbon

sxr carbon3.jpgsxr carbon.jpgsxr carbon2.jpg

And, the carbon wasn't adhering to my "forms", so I got out my poor man's vacuum system, saran wrap and duct tape

sxr carbon4.jpg

Man, my garage is a huge mess....it will be nice when this is over.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Slow but sure. Waiting on epoxy and carbon. Doing busy work like cutting and installing foam, filling holes, etc. Hoping to finish bottom deck by Saturday, and start the top deck Sunday, then bond the two during the week.then it's a matter of tray and foothold. Still on track, but paint might be some rattle can.....we will see.

rasper99

Freighter wake hunter
I will update this tonight with a few pics.

I've been working on this every night and weekend, but the progress is still slower than I had hoped.
Has there ever been a build thread where things went real easy, cheaper and way faster than expected? :smile:

Top Bottom