SXR Cannibal's build - IS FINISHED!!! decks split, rocker nose, -3

Cannibal

Tasty Human
You are welcome to take it for a spin at Grayland Zack...along with anyone else.

After those pics, I've stripped the gelcoat around the foam, and laid down some fairing compound. I'll be sanding that smooth and laying glass on top of that. Then flipping the top deck over and dig out the foam. After that, add more reinforcement from the inside.

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
Good your getting shiat done!! Your daily update email woke me up.. I want it done before August.. Were gonna find our balls and backflip this Jenny Craig/Lipo'd whale before the Titi rash... Lol ok probably not, but it's a damn good thing to try for.... Hahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Yep, still making progress. This weekend is going to be a bust, most of both days are booked up with other stuff already, but I should have all of the following weekend (23rd), but then we are out of town for the next weekend (30th). So I'll say July 4th won't be within reach.

I can't remember if I mentioned this or not, but I am second guessing my length. I think I should have chopped another couple inches off the back and made a ride plate that has extended hull length on it like the Lightweight has. I'm a bit afraid that since I moved the top deck forward about 2.5" and only cut off 3" from the back, it will still ride kind of stockish. However, the rocker reduces the plaining surface, so maybe it will still be more playful. Either way, it is staying like this.

I won't do this to another SXR hull, that's for sure. It's a ton of work. But, if I like how it turns out, I might pull a mold from it someday....but we'll see about that.

550/440

Maybe I'll get it all the way around NEXT time....
Bummer it won't be ready by the 4th. I'm taking a job in Phoenix, I'll have to just follow this online. No test ride for me.

Last edited:

Cannibal

Tasty Human
I know, I heard Jason. And I never got to take that Q8 for a spin either.

I think you need to leave that Q8 here and fly back for the G.O., then we can ship it to you! This year's G.O. is looking like it will be the best one yet!

550/440

Yeah, it looks like it's going to be a great GO this year. I'm bummed that I will miss it. Keep up w/the cool build, I want to hear all about it, and look forward to your rideplates...

Yep, still making progress. This weekend is going to be a bust, most of both days are booked up with other stuff already, but I should have all of the following weekend (23rd), but then we are out of town for the next weekend (30th). So I'll say July 4th won't be within reach.

I can't remember if I mentioned this or not, but I am second guessing my length. I think I should have chopped another couple inches off the back and made a ride plate that has extended hull length on it like the Lightweight has. I'm a bit afraid that since I moved the top deck forward about 2.5" and only cut off 3" from the back, it will still ride kind of stockish. However, the rocker reduces the plaining surface, so maybe it will still be more playful. Either way, it is staying like this.

I won't do this to another SXR hull, that's for sure. It's a ton of work. But, if I like how it turns out, I might pull a mold from it someday....but we'll see about that.

I moved my top deck 2 inches ish forward and only shortened the bottom 1.5 with a flush cut plate .... with the wide rails I feel like I could have gone -4ish and not have any ill handling . My rocker is a little more aggressive starting at the motor mounts raising the nose about 3 inches higher than the freak it also shortened the front about 5 inches . My rear was rockered 1/2 inch as well . I Reeeeeealy think much of the stability is in the rails .

The reason I'm telling you this is I don't' think the shorter plaining surface will come into play . If you watch most skis at operating speed only from about the center of the motor mounts back is in the water .

I wish I would have cut mine shorter and relied on the rails and adjustable foot holds more to compensate for less surface area.

Get to sanding and glassin ...... looks good.

D-Roc

I forgot!
I cut my bottom deck -8. Moved the back of the tray forward 4" which made my tray -4". I chopped the nose off at the back of the tow loop hole, but that didn't do anything but make it fit in my truck with the tailgate closed. I made the bottom deck 4" wider at the bulk head and parabolic like a water ski. I love it but it did take some getting use to.

Nice work.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
I actually don't expect this to handle too much different than an SXR. I figure the wider rails up front and the rocker will be evident when playing around, and I'm hoping that moving the pole mount (top deck) forward gives more control over the nose. I don't expect the differences be to drastic, but I'm hoping for more agility.

550/440

Off the subject, wtf Jason?!??!? You're leaving us???

Yeah, heading south. The sunless summer has taken its toll on me. I'm hoping for a home close to a lake, and just a short drive to WF's! If you ever want to come down for the finals, I'll have a spare bedroom or two... and you know there will always be spare skis!

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Kickin ass and takin names....well maybe not. You know how it goes Kevin....on this thing, it really seems like I take two steps forward, one step back. Still mostly making forward progress, but it's been slow.

Also, Summer finally hit here, so the wife has wanted to Grill, have friends over, go here and there, keeping my progress slow. I will say, I haven't mowed the lawn this year at all. My wife has taken care of ALL of the yard and house work, so it's a trade-off. I have to stop working and keep her happy....you know what they say..."Happy Wife; Happy Life".

Just came in to eat some corn on the cob she boiled up and some pulled pork I smoked all day. I'm covered in dust. I suppose not many people use a belt sander to smooth out their bottom deck....lol.

I also had some effed up motor mount bolts that I had been putting off. I finally got to them and ROYALLY effed em up even more. So I cut the whole motor mounts out. I spend a little time yesterday on the milling machine drilling and tapping some holes for some motor plates. Would have been MUCH easier to glass those back in when I laid my glass/carbon over the bottom deck cuts. I'm basically doing the same thing as the Brawler hull build, epoxy in some AL plates, then glass over them.

I also had to pull all my waterbox/fuel tank/battery hold downs out of the hull because I went and picked up a used Power Factor (it was part of the setup Kerry Gross sold I believe).

I put up a large piece of paper (3'x3') and wrote down EVERYTHING I could think of that needed to be done. Wow, it's a lot of stuff.

I'm still nursing an injured rotator cuff (7 weeks now, come on). Doc said it might take 10 weeks, so I'm not missing out on any riding. It's probably best that I don't have anything to ride, I'd probably mess it up again.

X2 ..... let it heal and DO your PT. I had a bad strain that lasted on and off for two years because I rushed it. Good to hear you are still plugging along. I never sent you foot hold pics... ill get on that. As soon as I get home on Wednesday.

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
I'm still nursing an injured rotator cuff (7 weeks now, come on). Doc said it might take 10 weeks, so I'm not missing out on any riding. It's probably best that I don't have anything to ride, I'd probably mess it up again.

If you didn't do sweet dismounts off my ski at team weekend you wouldn't have hurt yourself like that... Lol
Remember for next time, tuck and roll....

Top Bottom