check out these stands

The other Alex

(Jetdude)
Welcome to America! :cheer: :cheer:

Same goes for selling plans to PVC stand on eBay :rolleyes:

...Not to mention this idea has been around for YEARS, and there are numerous instructions floating around on the internet for FREE, and they are super easy for one to build for less than 20 bucks and 15 minutes. Lazy americans, I bet the guy who actually wastes 200 bucks on these stands is the same guy that goes to McDonalds and orders three big macs two large fries and a DIET coke. (I know, I am so original with my analagies...) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Darkside

Ax Man
PVC cart

I just built one of these from a guy who sells these plans on bay for $6.99. It cost me about $68 with the wheels. The wheels were about $20. I personally really like the cart and took about an hour to build, the plans are very thorough.

njfl

X-H2
What kind of plans could possibly be needed to build this? It seems pretty straightforward of a concept to me.

I built one for my SJ out of 2" and it has been very robust, lightweight, and easy to toss around and store when not in use.

keefer

T1
We started building these kind of stands in the early 90's before cool aluminum scissor stands were available. I did not uses casters as we just used them as water stands at our local riding spot back in the day. I still use a simple pvc fixture that lays nearly flat with only a small rise in the back for parking on concrete launch ramps. I use it to hold one boat while unloading the other so it wont scrap around on the ramp or scoop up rocks into the intake grate. I like it because it is light and only cost about $15 to build. I have had it for a couple of years and it has not broken yet.

KaosFreestyle

White on White
I just built one for mine. PVC materials with 3" pipe cost me $40. Then I added wheels for $35. Different types of wheels then I have seen others use on their stand. Im able to roll mine around the driveway and garage.

keefer

T1
I have never liked them for roll around stands. They can break and your fine paint job ends up on the floor, not to mention possible hull repairs. I just built my roll around stands out of scrap 2x4s and cheap casters. I would have to pound it with a big hammer to break it. No worries:biggrin:

I built a couple of them for my stand ups. I would not trust them for sit downs. I built stands out of 2x4s for those. The oldest one was built about 2 years ago, and is still hanging in there. Now i am a little worried, though. After hearing all this talk about them getting brittle. :banghead:

tom21

havin fun
yeah my everyday shop dollies are made of 4 x 4's and a 2 x 6 to hold the wheels. i did it like a shopping cart, two that are fixed, two that swivel.

the small dolly I had laying around and needed something to set a ski on while I was swapping skis to the trailer and I did it temporarily and it works pretty good.

especially considering how much it cost in hardware and carpet( I used floor mats from home depot- cut up), wood and wheels and then the dollies are like 25 bucks.

keefer

T1
I used to have 2 fixed and 2 swivel. Found that I like all 4 swivel better, now it does not matter which end you grab. It makes it alot more manuverable, especially when rounding corners IMO.

I made a pvc version pictured below for $37. I later added 6" wheels. It lasted only 2 months then I heard a noise in the garage. Called and ordered a Big-Foot next morning and I'm not looking back. So todays lesson boys and girls is, PVC is for sprinklers :tomato:

Attachments

• pvc_stand (Large).JPG
    pvc_stand (Large).JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

thrllskr

Converted Coucher
Mine cost about $40 at Home Depot including casters...

shopstand_704.jpeg

I'm also selling this one if anyone in the NJ area wants it. Just give me the $40 I spent on it.

chev-hell

Krenn Powersports
Ok Fellas, I see some of yall have jumped on this bashing ban-wagon. I'm the one selling these stands and I've had to argue with this "Wayne" for a couple days. First over my inflated prices (his words) and 2nd over stregnth... 1st things first. If you can build this stand for $40 the there is NO WAY you are using the same materials. Wayne bashed me over and over on this point then I finaly had to shut him down by waisting my time going into Home Depot (where he said he got his prices) and get actual cost on materials..
$3.61 Elbows X4
$2.96 3 way X4
$3.24 Clean out X4
$1.69 Cap X4
$3.97 Casters (225lb ea.) X4
$10.58 10' pipe
$5.48 glue/primer pack
---------------------

$84.37 out the door!

Now, it takes about 1.25hrs to build it correctly, every joint perfect, cuts right. etc. and I use a chop saw to make sure my cuts are 90's and the pipe will slide in flush against the stops and not weaken the joint.. squared up correctly also, casters drilled in etc. from pulling the tools out, to puting them away..
ok, add 15 min to drive to HD. Buy parts check out. etc another 15min. Drive home unload etc 15min... so lets say another 45 min..

So lets say I have 2 total hours of my time, and $85 into 1 stand.. I make $55/hour ASSUMING I have someone standing in front of me waiting to hand the cash over and take it home. Not, me having to wait for people that want to come over, or me delivering it anywhere from 10-50 miles for free, nor anyone coming over to kick tires.... What is your time worth????

Wayne also was sure to change subject matter on me also when I showed him what it really costs to build a quality stand. and said it WILL FAIL and break, although He hasn't seen my other designs for heavier skis (800lbs and up) yet he says they will break because of the picture above. If you notice that stand used thin-wall or sewer fittings. the 3 way clean-out he used is so thin you can see thru it.....THIS IS HOW A $40 stand is made! NOT what I do... I deal in skis and it's mostly referal/repeat customers, do you think i'd sell an inferior stand so I have to replace a ski??? no...
The smaller stands in the pics are mainly for smaller 2-3 seaters. My test subject back in the spring was a 2005 Seadoo GTI 3 seater and ME on top..

Im not selling a Design, Im selling an actual product that's been well built and tested. If you feel the need to keep bashing me so-be-it. But I think I've justified my prices. (also keep in mind the bigger stands cost MORE to make but I don't charge more). If you have any questions ASK before you BASH!

chev-hell

Krenn Powersports
i emailed him and he said the parts cost over 80 and the right tools are expensive. i told him a hack saw is less than 20 dollars and that is the only right tool you need. he said that it would not be square if the end of the pvc was not cut straight. i guess his tubing is smaller than the fittings. last time i checked you cannot put pvc together and the pipe not come out of the fitting straight.

This is also one of the idiotic emails I got from him. and no I NEVER said that if the pipe wasn't cut square that the stand wouldn't be square. not cutting it at a square will make the joint weak, and also I make my stands SQUARE, Wayne just decided to put 2 totaly different statements together! He's not bias at all is he! ne never thought that you can have the sides parallel but it still not be SQUARE.... and The other post showing $xxx amount for materials is about 8 different pieces SHORT of building it.... that's how he gets $60....

fittyx2

I'm bringing X'y back
Thanks,

1 thing I did mention to Wayne is that Mercedes Benz can build their cars much cheaper too.... but they'd rather not, nor do I.

Yeah, but I'm not going to be watching a DVD in a heated leather seat on my PVC PWC stand.... And you won't be buying a new can of glue for every stand you build...

$55/hr? I'm in the wrong trade....

chev-hell

Krenn Powersports
Yeah, but I'm not going to be watching a DVD in a heated leather seat on my PVC PWC stand.... And you won't be buying a new can of glue for every stand you build...

$55/hr? I'm in the wrong trade....

yes, you won't be watching a DVD on your stand, NOR will you be paying $80,000 for it either

and at $50/hr I don't do this 40 hours a week which mean's I'd better make more than my regular job... and $50/hr isn't guranteed, it's a "risk" wage. I'm not doing this to get "rich". I deal in skis and usualy won't waist my time unless I make $1000 minimum on a ski. It's just for fun, I make a few bucks and people get a cool stnad that is VERY usefull......

Attachments

• 96xp parts 032.jpg
    96xp parts 032.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 73
Top Bottom