Chp took my ski

I am now offering OEM style tags for cheap. Check my thread in parts for sale section.

Also I was looking at my friends fairly new seadoo and his tags are coming off already, the rivets are corroded to hell and about to fall off. I personally would question what the officer's source is for the location of the HIN tags. There is no preset location on watercraft (to my knowledge) and if they do then it was only recent. Every ski Ivse seen has various mounting locations. The officers argument doesn't hold water just for that reason. I think there is a vast database for automobiles but not for watercraft.

This is my third day in a row trying to contact yamaha to get info on vin placement and whatnot. I kept being put on hold for hours. And yeah i know i stated the vin was removed to install a scupper but i honestly have no idea if it was removed for that reason or if it just fell off. I went out to the sacramento area the other day and some guy had like 15 jet skis and about 10 of them had missing hins on the back from riding the jet ski hard for 20 years. I just got letters signed from derek and doug today and got them both notorized. Just waiting for the cherry on top with an email from yamaha but they seem to be too busy for me....
Yeah and you guys are right, If this cop showed up to a jet ski event he really would seize most everyone's jet skis. Im glad I didnt bring my dog with me when we got pulled over because he probably would have been trippen if I didnt have an id for him lol

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Im not sure what you goal is with finding out the stock location for a hin plate. You are not being charged with incorrect placement. You are being charged with removal. It does not matter where it is. The only thing that matters is if it were removed or not. If your internal hin was taken off for reinforcement and then reinstalled, you are guilty of the charge. Youve already confessed at least one hin was removed.

You need to take a step back and look at the big picture and think about your strategy. Judges see people all the time who think they can out smart the system.

I remember talking to a cop friend who had to go to court over a speeding ticket. 45 in a 35. The person brought their evidence to the court, which was a video of the street and no posted speed limit. The judge carefully reviewed the evidence, and then explained to the defendant that the speed limit when not posted is 30mph, and the judge would gladly increase the charge from 10 over to 15 over if the defendant chose to.

My point is, if you want to outsmart the system, you probably wont without a lawyer. Thats why i was suggesting you contest the penalty rather than the charge. Its as simple as this... have the hins been tampered with? Yes. Guilty, all the evidence needed.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
What are you supposed to do when one falls off or a repair is needed to the area where the hin was?

Thats not clear, and i would like to know myself. I was making jokes about damage to a hin resulting in a otherwise perfect crat being totaled. Devils advocate, the internal HIN was glued in by yamaha, and it fell off, so yamaha did not make the hin permanent as required.

But, he has already said the external hin was intentionally removed. Guilty. End of story.

Thats why i suggested contesting the punishment, rather than the charge.

CRJ

Hibernating
Is there anything that says you cant get permission granted to you after its off? Why not file for permission to perform a repair, then hand that to the judge. they wont have much option but to toss the case and return the ski.

mike b

Michael "Mayhem" Bevacqua aka MikeyChan
See I bet if you asked judge for permission to repair and make everything legal on the hull that the judge (if fair and not basis towards skis or young people) would want to help. It's more money for the state after all. I Know There are laws needed to be addressed yes. But what's the point in crushing something and wasting a device they will make taxes on??

@Vumad like i said it is not clear if it was removed intentionally or not. I have not the slightest idea if it was or wasnt. Im just going off what people are telling me, and the more i look into it, the more i find out that it is common for the vins to have fallen off. And im not being charged with a single vin being tampered with. Im being charged with both vins tampered with and also the engine number ground off. Which everyone owning a yamaha isnt possible.

CRJ

Hibernating
@Vumad like i said it is not clear if it was removed intentionally or not. I have not the slightest idea if it was or wasnt. Im just going off what people are telling me, and the more i look into it, the more i find out that it is common for the vins to have fallen off. And im not being charged with a single vin being tampered with. Im being charged with both vins tampered with and also the engine number ground off. Which everyone owning a yamaha isnt possible.
Can you prove in any way that it was gone before you bought it? Like pictures from the ad you saw it posted at or something? Right now its a charge of you removing them. All you need to do is prove you didnt. And if you have paperwork that matches the hull tags, colors are correct and its in your name i cant see the problem. seems like someones got a vendetta against ya.

CRJ

Hibernating
Get more info on the officer, see if he has a bias towards jetskis for any reason. Cops dont just pick on jetski people cause of suspicion. You could also argue an unwarranted search was performed without reason. an external HIN number falling off isnt uncommon, and is no reason to take it. Otherwise every person thats lost one would be in jail/get fined. Its in your court to come up with a solid case. you could ask for forgiveness, argue ignorance, or argue an improper search and seize. Good luck!

Top Bottom