Chp took my ski

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
I honestle don't remember ever seeing serial numbers on a yamaha engine. Just some model info such as 62t or 61x.
6m6 and 61x cases have some sort of serial number tag on the intake, I can't remember ever seeing it on 62t cases (just the model sticker on the mag area).

King Kang

Never enough tray time...
Your situation really sucks, and the cop definitely didn't need to be such a hard ass about the whole thing. I recognize that he could have been even worse, but unfortunately, I think your ski is doomed. The cop had probable cause to pull you over because of the missing plate. He had further cause to pull your hood off because of the miss HIN on the outside of the hull. The hull was inspected by a HIN inspector who supported the case against you within the 90 day time limit. A judge ruled against you. Nobody can produce proof of glued HIN from Yamaha, and it is illegal to tamper with a hull's HIN, even if a shop does it professionally.

As your final option, I think you need to contact one of those "Judge Judy" style civil lawsuit shows. From what I've been told, those shows actually pay the damages, so if you sue the original seller, he wouldn't have to pay the $4,000 because the show would cover it as a means to get you both to appear on TV. Since you have footage of the confiscation, they might seriously entertain your consideration. You'd also need to play things up a bit, so here's an example of how to win at that game.

http://www.vice.com/read/these-guys-made-up-a-fake-case-to-get-on-judge-judy

Good luck, I hope you're able to get something back!

haha yeah i dont think i want to go on judge judy over this lol But actually the guy doug who works at oakley consignment used to work directly for yamaha and was their main mechanic for some years. I feel he is my guy when it comes down to him saying that those vins do indeed fall off and the inside vins do come glued in.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
haha yeah i dont think i want to go on judge judy over this lol But actually the guy doug who works at oakley consignment used to work directly for yamaha and was their main mechanic for some years. I feel he is my guy when it comes down to him saying that those vins do indeed fall off and the inside vins do come glued in.
I would honestly get somebody who currently works for Yamaha to help out, somebody who "used to work for Yamaha" will hold little credit.

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
Good luck. You're seriously screwed. You purchased a vehicle with a tampered HIN and non original engine. Obviously a previous owner didn't record any changes with the state, and you are out a ski. Pictures of other skis are useless, since they could also be tampered with, and you can't prove otherwise.
Scott Watkins at Yamaha in GA may be your only hope for getting any official statement from Yamaha concerning secondary HIN placement.
You do however have a case for repayment from the previous owner. He knowingly sold you a vehicle that was tampered with. He didn't intend for you to get screwed, but he knew the HIN was missing. A court would likely award you restitution.

you need to check with department of wildlife or whoever is in charge of boats in ca also.their rules for hin placement and removing for repairs are sometimes different from motor vehicles.

Schmidty721

someone turf my rails
It's been a month since the incident happened and you've failed to get anyone with any credibility involved. Why?
Lawyers don't charge you for a phone call to inquire about the case. I would have had three lined up ready to represent you in the case that the court hearing turned out the way it did, or would have just paid upfront to have someone there to represent you.

I feel bad for you man, and I understand trying to save dollars by doing stuff on your own but it seems like there is a lot of free leg work that could have been done already to prepare yourself to fight this.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?...ontent_en/dmv/pubs/agent_vessel_hdbk/chapter2

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/boatsinfo/boatreg

Both of these are pretty clear on requirements for vessel HIN numbers and tampering. Also lists undocumented vessel HiN info and requirements for those with aftermarket hulls

"Permanently affixed to the vessel in such a way that it's alteration, removal, or replacemnt would be obvious".

Department of motor vehicles handles motorized boat registration and HIN assignment in California

Edit:
http://www.privilege42.com/hin.html

It is illegal for anyone (manufacturer, dealer, distributor, or owner) to alter or remove a HIN without written authorization from the U.S. Coast Guard.

Last edited:
Why are you apologizing for the police officer? This is seizure of property without evidence. If I had the credibility of a police officer I am sure I could convince the court that your grandmother stole a vehicle. Yes, they get that much credibility. I believe it to be a fact that here in New York, there is assigned squads that deal exclusively with stolen vehicles. This guy is far from an expert. What also bothers me is that you automatically assumed the OP to have mouthed off to the police officer. I watched alot of the OP's video and I can say with assurance that he was respectable to the CHP officer. I am sure this guy is trying to do his job to the best of his ability, but he is damaging the public. If I forgot to tighten a wheel on a car and caused financial burden to the owner, would you apologize for me? Thanks. I was just trying to do

If you would like me to write an e-mail, I would spend considerable time to try and help you out. Of course I would do some research on the laws.

Because the cop was trying, key word is trying. if the op washes his hands and walks away this will only continue. No one learns and this crap continues. There are huge holes in the cops arguments, as clearY shown in the video that obviously the op needs help pointing out.

@Harbor That makes a ton of sense. But see how it says its illegal to remove, or alter the vins? How can they prove that it was removed and had not just fallen off due to it being a 20 year old ski? I feel that is my best bet. I can see if both of my vins fell off then it would look sketchy. But i feel that they put 2 on the ski for just that reason, in case something happened to one or the other. Im getting a letter notorized from derek at the ski clinic and also doug from the oakley consignment store. Theyre going to state that they have indeed seen hins completely fall off of a ski by themselves without anyone intentionally doing so.
I feel its my best bet to win this. Im keeping my fingers crossed. I contacted an attorney and bottom line is that id have to have my parents sell the house in order to pay them off lol.

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
If a HIN EVER fell off, the first thing to do is contact the correct agency to inform them and request a replacement. You've already stated that yours was removed to install a scupper, so telling a judge a big lie is probably NOT in your best interest.

The legal jargon about HIN rules isn't directed at you @blake129. It's just that because of your case Some of us are wondering well what are the damn rule on this. It's Been a learning experience for me, I had no idea they were so strict on this.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
You could consider the Mercy plea.

The ski is not stolen.
Skis are commonly modified and abused, requiring repair.
You trusted people with much more experience in the sport, and they gave bad advice.
You have done your research and you realize now that there is a proper procedure that must be followed before a HIN can be removed for modification or repair.
The punishment does not match the deed. The spirit of the law is to stop theft, the ski is not stolen. The error made is procedural based on misinformation.
Beg for the court to mandate an order that the ski will be returned to you, provided that you complete all applicable paperwork to HIN reinstallation with the US coast guard, and pay any applicable fines.
You promise to, in good faith, spread a positive message about your dealing with the court and educate the jet ski community as to the proper procedures that others should be taking.

I tried to find the picture of my SXR HIN unsuccessfully, which broke in half and the missing half was not recovered, but I'm not sure it would help you anyway. I am confident that simple differences in locations of external HIN will provide you no benefits.

You might want to bring your friend to court to testify that he in correctly removed the origional HIN. It might help the Judge believe this could be the hull you claim it is.

At this point the hulls idenity cannot be determined and this is what's at issue

Top Bottom